Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] - out with the Brunch Runners today? Spotted in a photo :wink:

Yes first time with them and very enjoyable. A bit windy but the miles seem much quicker as a group.

Set off expecting to run 8 minute miles but a group of 5 including me ended up running at just under 7:30's.

I've registered for next weeks 20 but will probably run to keep my cousin company and drop out at 17 miles. Hamstrings still aren't up to 2.5 hours of running.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
33 years since last half marathon, injury during training, but just done it in 2 h 12 min - very happy with that. Decent time for my age!

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Always welcome to come to this thread after an indifferent result. I had been having some doubts about the Three Forts but a solid 18 miles in 3:20ish has cheered me up no end. Six weeks to go ...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
A proper run of two halves this morning. Brighton and back and the nice warm feeling I had swiftly disappeared as I got to the bottom of West Street and turned right. Man that wind was strong – good to get out for a seafront plod, though.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hello all – I'm after some advice please. I've decided I need to see someone about this odd pain that I get when running (which then carries on afterwards). It normally comes on a few miles in (not until 10/12 miles at Moyleman) and could be anywhere from my knee to by groin (right leg only). It's almost like a numbness that seems to move around and almost go up from my knee as I carry on. It doesn't REALLY hurt, it's more annoying than anything. Post run, it'll hang around for a few days, but still affect my knee, then my thigh, then my glutes, then my groin. All very strange and – for someone whose never had a running-related injury – very confusing. At I described it to a PT friend of mine and she said it could be sciatica but that's only from a brief description.

So not only do I not know what it is/might be, I don't know whether would be fixed by physio, a sports massage or something else. I know Jesus has been mentioned a load of times, but didn't know which one he was*– or if he'd be able to fix/help me. One month until London too, so I want to get it sorted by then.

Answers on a postcard, please. Thanks in advance...

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Hello all – I'm after some advice please. I've decided I need to see someone about this odd pain that I get when running (which then carries on afterwards). It normally comes on a few miles in (not until 10/12 miles at Moyleman) and could be anywhere from my knee to by groin (right leg only). It's almost like a numbness that seems to move around and almost go up from my knee as I carry on. It doesn't REALLY hurt, it's more annoying than anything. Post run, it'll hang around for a few days, but still affect my knee, then my thigh, then my glutes, then my groin. All very strange and – for someone whose never had a running-related injury – very confusing. At I described it to a PT friend of mine and she said it could be sciatica but that's only from a brief description.

So not only do I not know what it is/might be, I don't know whether would be fixed by physio, a sports massage or something else. I know Jesus has been mentioned a load of times, but didn't know which one he was*– or if he'd be able to fix/help me. One month until London too, so I want to get it sorted by then.

Answers on a postcard, please. Thanks in advance...

Jesus is Paul at Corals gym by the greyhound stadium.

ITB often the root of upper leg issues - are you rolling or stretching it enough. Best get an expert view though.

Good Luck

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Jesus is Paul at Corals gym by the greyhound stadium.

ITB often the root of upper leg issues - are you rolling or stretching it enough. Best get an expert view though.

Good Luck

I'm guessing never isn't classed as 'enough' :lol:

So would people recommend Jesus/Paul? And if so, what are his contact details (Im lazy!)

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

So would people recommend Jesus/Paul? And if so, what are his contact details (Im lazy!)

Not used him myself but [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and others swear by him. You just call Corals for an appointment. He prides himself on fixing you up in a single visit.

The other person I hear consistently good things about is Tom Goom at the Physio Room which I think is based at the Virgin gym by the Amex but I guess this is less convenient for you, he is a runner himself though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

http://www.coralfitness.co.uk/sports-injuries-clinics

Yes, would 100% recommend. If it's "fixable" he'll fix it in one visit. If not you'll get a diagnosis and a plan for dealing with it, including when you can / can't run. Tell him you know me and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] as we're more regular there than either of us would like.

I'm back to running again having followed his advice very closely this time. Shocking how much weight I've put on and aerobic fitness I've lost. Currently aching after a supposedly "easy" 4 miles this lunchtime :rant:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'm booked in with Jesus this weekend. He's an Albion season ticket holder so lots to talk about at the moment.

I felt some pain behind my right knee Sunday-Wednesday. Much better today but wouldn't mind him checking me out plus a bit of work on the hamstrings.

Going to start the Run Squad 20 miler Sunday and see how I get on. Would be surprised to do the full 20 but should get up to at least 17 injuries permitting.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not used him myself but [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and others swear by him. You just call Corals for an appointment. He prides himself on fixing you up in a single visit.

The other person I hear consistently good things about is Tom Goom at the Physio Room which I think is based at the Virgin gym by the Amex but I guess this is less convenient for you, he is a runner himself though.

http://www.coralfitness.co.uk/sports-injuries-clinics

Yes, would 100% recommend. If it's "fixable" he'll fix it in one visit. If not you'll get a diagnosis and a plan for dealing with it, including when you can / can't run. Tell him you know me and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] as we're more regular there than either of us would like.

I'm back to running again having followed his advice very closely this time. Shocking how much weight I've put on and aerobic fitness I've lost. Currently aching after a supposedly "easy" 4 miles this lunchtime :rant:

I'm booked in with Jesus this weekend. He's an Albion season ticket holder so lots to talk about at the moment.

I felt some pain behind my right knee Sunday-Wednesday. Much better today but wouldn't mind him checking me out plus a bit of work on the hamstrings.

Going to start the Run Squad 20 miler Sunday and see how I get on. Would be surprised to do the full 20 but should get up to at least 17 injuries permitting.

Thanks chaps. I'll give him a shout later on.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Went for a little ten mile taper run on Tuesday and felt my calf go on me !!
Just going to have to rest it from now until Brighton Marathon which means no running until the big day
I've got the ibuprofen gel and going to try KT Tape etc
Any more advice please ??

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just going to have to rest it from now until Brighton Marathon which means no running until the big day

Sports massage. My calves were incredibly tight this time last year as I started to taper for Brighton 2016. A sports massage every week stayed on top of the tightness.

This assumes that by "go" you just mean they're really tight. If you think you've pulled it then it's sports injury or physio clinic.

Edit - compression socks too.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Be careful with Ibuprofen - not good for long distance runners - just google for more advice

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Sports massage. My calves were incredibly tight this time last year as I started to taper for Brighton 2016. A sports massage every week stayed on top of the tightness.

This assumes that by "go" you just mean they're really tight. If you think you've pulled it then it's sports injury or physio clinic.

Edit - compression socks too.

They aren't tight it's my left calf that has gone
Felt like cramp but it's a bit more than that.
I haven't torn it as I done that 4 years ago and this is nothing like that
Hoping that rest will do the trick and I've used the ibuprofen gel just to get the calf eased a bit and it's a lot better today and I haven't applied any since yesterday afternoon

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They aren't tight it's my left calf that has gone
Felt like cramp but it's a bit more than that.
I haven't torn it as I done that 4 years ago and this is nothing like that
Hoping that rest will do the trick and I've used the ibuprofen gel just to get the calf eased a bit and it's a lot better today and I haven't applied any since yesterday afternoon

If it's a minor strain (absolute max grade 1) you might just about get away with it, but vital not to stress it now. Nothing you do between now and marathon day will improve your race time so take it very, very easy. Keep icing it. After a few days start some gentle stretching (heel drops on the stairs, that kind of thing) - if you can do 20 pain-free and walking is painless, start jogging - initially for literally a minute or two, then extend very gradually over a few days. A sports massage in a few days time would be a good thing to do to release any knots and scar tissue.

Good luck. I did all this a few years ago, managed to jog for 40 mins a couple of days before but calf exploded 7 miles into London marathon :shootself

As an aside, years of calf tightness and multiple torn muscles for me was down to adverse neural mobility. It was like a miracle discovery. Very common in middle-aged runners.

Here's a link that explains a bit - http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/neural-mobilization-exercises-for-runners-and-triathletes/

The calf (or glute/hammy) will tighten, and then tear itself to protect the nerve, hence loads of calf muscle tears. 2 mins of mobilisation exercises before a run fixed this for me. No calf issues for 2 years since working this out.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
If it's a minor strain (absolute max grade 1) you might just about get away with it, but vital not to stress it now. Nothing you do between now and marathon day will improve your race time so take it very, very easy. Keep icing it. After a few days start some gentle stretching (heel drops on the stairs, that kind of thing) - if you can do 20 pain-free and walking is painless, start jogging - initially for literally a minute or two, then extend very gradually over a few days. A sports massage in a few days time would be a good thing to do to release any knots and scar tissue.

Good luck. I did all this a few years ago, managed to jog for 40 mins a couple of days before but calf exploded 7 miles into London marathon :shootself

As an aside, years of calf tightness and multiple torn muscles for me was down to adverse neural mobility. It was like a miracle discovery. Very common in middle-aged runners.

Here's a link that explains a bit - http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/neural-mobilization-exercises-for-runners-and-triathletes/

The calf (or glute/hammy) will tighten, and then tear itself to protect the nerve, hence loads of calf muscle tears. 2 mins of mobilisation exercises before a run fixed this for me. No calf issues for 2 years since working this out.

Cheers for the info

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Back from a 4 week international break in Portugal. No running but a lot of hills and mountains to walk up. Some impressive efforts on here particularly [MENTION=67]Curious Orange[/MENTION] attempting a half marathon at 5k pace!
Mystery Achilles pain still there. Sore for 10 minutes after waking until warmed up and sore after walking for a few hours. Rheumatoid arthritis moved to outside of big toes and on the way out but may be link to Achilles. Just cycling and walking for the foreseeable future.
[MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] and [MENTION=152]Charlies Shinpad[/MENTION] need to get some fingers working their legs. Good luck with that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here