Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I'm talking about personal abuse, when someone is simply doing their job and somebody sees fit to hurl abuse at them then that is not on.

Yes, personal abuse is not pleasant is it? So when I write and disagree with what you posted, you will not be calling me an idiot any more?? Or, as I suspect, everybody else should avoid abuse?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37168008

Workers on Southern trains are to stage a 48-hour strike on 7 and 8 September in the continuing dispute over the role of guards, the RMT union has announced.

The union is fighting plans by Southern owner Govia Thameslink (GTR) to turn conductors into "on-board supervisors", with drivers taking over responsibility for opening and closing carriage doors.

Services have been disrupted for months due to industrial action.

Changes to the role of guards were imposed from Sunday.

Oh good, the day I need to get to Gatwick airport :annoyed:

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
I'm talking about personal abuse, when someone is simply doing their job and somebody sees fit to hurl abuse at them then that is not on.

I would never encourage personal abuse to an employee trying to do their job. But it's easy to see how a customer who has had the foundations of their life such, as getting to and from work and family, screwed over by strikes and working to rule in such a fashion, could get rather narked off with the workforce. You'd like all sides to deal with it all calmly and politely of course. But I wouldn't call the endless stream of strikes and disruptions a calm or polite way of dealing with things either.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
You should still be able to get to Gatwick, from Brighton at least. I have done on every strike day/

Thanks, good to know.

I don't really want to get involved in the whole HORNETS nest of who presses the button to open the train doors.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Thanks, good to know.

I don't really want to get involved in the whole HORNETS nest of who presses the button to open the train doors.

Gatwick Express and TL services still run on strike days. Check before leaving though, but the times should be on the rail planner.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Oh good, the day I need to get to Gatwick airport :annoyed:

If you're based in Brighton, would highly recommend booking the National Express coach to Gatwick, either from it's starting point at the bus station in the Steine or at convenient boarding points on the way out of town. Costs less than SASTA, and is far more civilised.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I'm on the 17.42 from Victoria. I don't commute so this is my first experience of a rush hour train for a good while. Although it's boiling, short carriaged and rammed; people tell me it's not bad.

It's a really shocking state of affairs when people regard this as not bad. It's shit. I can't imagine having to do this twice a day.

Why aren't people rioting?

Last edited:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I'm on the 15.42 from Victoria. I don't commute so this is my first experience of a rush hour train for a good while. Although it's boiling, short carriaged and rammed; people tell me it's not bad.

It's a really shocking state of affairs when people regard this as not bad. It's shit. I can't imagine having to do this twice a day.

Why aren't people rioting?

15.42? What time are you due at your destination?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
When people accept it rather than protest and kick up a fuss with their MP and make sure he knows he won't be voted for at the next election

i have a question for the experts ...... Lewes Stn platform 5, can a train come in from Brighton and go out to Seaford from platform 5?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Another good read. I sense his frustration as long as thing drags the more people are prepared to swallow the oft-repeated narrative that Southern's problems are due to the union. A timely reminder that the travelling public are being sold down the river by SASTA and the DfT.

But the union are partially to blame. It's them who are calling the strikes.

Out of his points 1 and 3 strike me as being damned if you do and damned if you don't. Understaffing is a Southern issue, no doubt about that. But what can they do other than recruit more staff? When those staff start they are going to inexperienced surely?

2 I can't comment on as I've no idea if that is true or not. 4 is bollocks, how can you claim staff are loyal when they are going on strike every five minutes. Prior to the strikes if life was that bad why didn't they find another job? It's nothing to do with loyalty its about earning a pay cheque every month and a good one at that for doing very little. Point 5 the blame for that has to lay firmly at the door of the union whipping up the hornets nest and creating this us and them mentality between the staff and the management.

So whilst I agree with you that we are being sold down the river by Southern and the DfT the union also has to take some responsibility as well.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Yes, it is signalled through both ways

thanks, I owe the young man in the blue tabard an apology then, he wasn't an f-ing cretin ( I was over heated, tired and in need of a drink). Last night at Lewes was the most spectacular mess so far. When I have time I will be emailing the relevant people yet again, so bored of this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here