Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham Air show crash

Time to draw breath, I believe. The emergency services have yet to recover all the bodies from the scene and return them to their families. Any talk of what should or shouldn't happen in the future is premature. All that matters at the moment is giving the families their loved ones back.

Absolutely this. I cannot possibly relay via an internet forum what nice lads these two were. I didn't personally know them that well, but I know they loved their football, they were excellent players, and what makes this so sad is they set out to simply enjoy the game they loved on a saturday afternoon, as did many others, only to not return home.

As you righty state, talk of anything else should cease. NSC's thoughts should firmly be with the friends and family of these two people and indeed with any others wounded or affected, as I am sure they are. This has certainly left me absolutely shocked, so I cannot come to terms with what others close to them are going through right now. Simply terrible.

Last edited:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
But people wouldn't pay £40 to stand on a promenade and watch it. Shoreham is so much more than the air display. The ground stuff is a massive draw too, seeing the planes up close

Southport airshow is on the promenade and approx or no more than £20 per person at most, they have static displays including WWII aircraft, displays in air are all over the beach and away from roads etc. I think this weekend has been horrible and I feel for all the families ...but what may come out of this is a review on how this charitable event can be run with a view to avoiding this happening again

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I'm guessing the site is still being investigated and club is trying to make it easier for the emergency services!

Sorry. I didn't think people would be laying them at the site of the crash? I assumed they must have been laying them at the training ground. I don't know, that's why I was asking the question.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Time to draw breath, I believe. The emergency services have yet to recover all the bodies from the scene and return them to their families. Any talk of what should or shouldn't happen in the future is premature. All that matters at the moment is giving the families their loved ones back.

I totally agree and now perhaps you will understand my post yesterday.

After hearing of the crash yesterday the Albion's result meant less than usual.

Can somebody please explain this club tweet to me. Is there an issue with people leaving flowers at the training ground?

BHAFC ‏@OfficialBHAFC 1h1 hour ago

If you wish to leave flowers, we respectfully request, if possible, please lay them at the Amex memorial garden.

The scene is probably still quite a mess. Perhaps they also feel the memorial garden is more significant. Would be great if we could get as many members of NSC to go up to the stadium and lay flowers there.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
My dads opinion, as a retired RAF engineer, is that the pilot did not allow for the conditions in that loop. Hot, dry, cloudless conditions means "thinner" air and therefore meant far less air resistance (as anyone who follows cricket would know) for pulling up out of that loop. He just did not allow the altitude for the conditions and cut it too fine. If it wasn't a stall, and the fact it didn't plummet but went down on the belly (ie it had started pulling up), might bear this out.

I saw a documentary where a pilot made that mistake doing a loop now you mention it.

The scene is probably still quite a mess. Perhaps they also feel the memorial garden is more significant. Would be great if we could get as many members of NSC to go up to the stadium and lay flowers there.

Another option.

Attachments

• grimble.jpg
    grimble.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,104

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Flying over roads is one thing, but surely you have to pick a safe area to pull off the most extreme part of a maneuver when you are pushing the aircraft to its limits? If the loop was completed with a 100m to spare that would still be too close surely?

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you and this may well come out in any investigation. The only point I was making was that the line of flight was not in line with the A27 but across it. The display line will almost certainly be parallel to the runway.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Sorry. I didn't think people would be laying them at the site of the crash? I assumed they must have been laying them at the training ground. I don't know, that's why I was asking the question.

I would imagine and again i don't know the reasons but it would make sense to me to keep traffic as far away from the area as possible. And has been said maybe the memorial garden at the stadium would be a more fitting venue.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

The Amex is also a distance away from the incident and perhaps a tad "removed" from many of the staff who will also be coming to terms with the tragedy. They should have their privacy respected. Added to which the Amex is a public arena, the training ground being very much private.
RIP all who lost their lives.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
After hearing of the crash yesterday the Albion's result meant less than usual.

Can somebody please explain this club tweet to me. Is there an issue with people leaving flowers at the training ground?

BHAFC ‏@OfficialBHAFC 1h1 hour ago

If you wish to leave flowers, we respectfully request, if possible, please lay them at the Amex memorial garden.

The club are letting the emergency services use the training ground as a muster point and are also letting them use the facilities and are feeding them. They probably just want to keep the access and exit free and safe and don't want people to gather there as a result. Im sure this will be relaxed once the incident site is clear and the training ground back to normal. i'm on site there all day tomorrow, not looking forward to it to be honest.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I saw a documentary where a pilot made that mistake doing a loop now you mention it.

He said about a helicopter pilot he knew (he serviced his aircraft) who made the exact same mistake, and fortunately survived. Performed a loop, misjudged the conditions, dropped like a stone through the thinner air and crashed into the airfield.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
The club are letting the emergency services use the training ground as a muster point and are also letting them use the facilities and are feeding them. They probably just want to keep the access and exit free and safe and don't want people to gather there as a result. Im sure this will be relaxed once the incident site is clear and the training ground back to normal. i'm on site there all day tomorrow, not looking forward to it to be honest.

Thank you for your post. I can understand the point of the tweet now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here