Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Hammond's Budget

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Income inequality today is at its lowest level for 30 years.

A Conservative Government delivering a fairer Britain.

Hold your horses, there's a small group (and we all know who they are) waiting for the left-leaning media to write this up so they can copy and paste those views as their own.

It's as certain as the party who lost the last election once again telling the current government to step aside as if elections don't count for anything in this country.

Bloody left leaners and there sloppy cut and paste laziness. Why can't they just apply a little critical thinking of their own, rather than just parroting stuff that is clearly utter nonsense, but sounds good anyway.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
That waive of stamp duty should push up prices nicely, well done to anyone who's already got a house.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
£44bn of capital funding, loans, and guarantees to boost housing supply over 5 years... but seems to have ducked the freeing up of land with existing planning permission by launching an enquiry.

They should just grant all these applications carte blanche. There are no restrictions anymore. The Green Belt Iis being built on everywhere. Free up the Royal Parks, free up the National Parks and build on every school playing field. We want our population to keep growing unabated. Its good for our economy. We need more roads everywhere. We have infinite resources. We can cope. Lets build, build, build as much as we can. Fill up the farmland and countryside with houses. Keep the brownfield sites for travellers and massive waste recycling depots.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Stamp duty abolished for first time buyers for homes under 300k is good but it doesn't actually help with deposit does it? Most first time buyers chuck that on the mortgage don't they? Or is that wrong?

But by chucking on the mortgage they have to borrow less than they otherwise could.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
80% of first time buyers ?
Yes. Precisely. The relatively well off.

Propping up house prices is deliberate Tory policy and as such there is plenty of money available for anything that will help..

Dealing with homelessness is not Tory policy.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
They should just grant all these applications carte blanche. There are no restrictions anymore. The Green Belt Iis being built on everywhere. Free up the Royal Parks, free up the National Parks and build on every school playing field. We want our population to keep growing unabated. Its good for our economy. We need more roads everywhere. We have infinite resources. We can cope. Lets build, build, build as much as we can. Fill up the farmland and countryside with houses. Keep the brownfield sites for travellers and massive waste recycling depots.

A slight exaggeration Mo, when only 5% of the mainland is actually built up.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The councils charging 100% on council tax for empty properties will do **** all.

Stamp duty will do **** all.

Build some houses.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I said it needed a massive one to make a difference didn't i?

Massive is subjective. I don't agree with this most of this Budget, but it is clear the Chancellor has taken a raft of measures to increase the number of properties available to first time buyers, making it more affordable to buy whilst simultaneously making second home ownership less attractive.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
eh?
Jeremys plan- people dont have to pay back more than they have taken out on a credit card........WTF
did i hear that right?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
To expand on the housing point. The system is broken.

I bought my house in 2009 for 187k. It is a new build. Next door sold for 195k (I won).

Roll forward to 2017. Houses worth 300k (one in our row sold in the summer). My repayment mortgage is about 750 quid a month (if I didn't overpay). My neighbours pay about 1300 RENT a month.

So the rent is almost double my repayment mortgage and looking at 1k capital gains a month. So the people renting (young professionals) are losing out to the tune of over 1.5k a month.

How can that be right?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Nobody here has mentioned the Office of Tax Simplication's Report into VAT that advised the VAT threshold be reduced. Hammond himself mentioned we have the highest VAT threshold in the OECD that is £65,000 higher than the same threshold in Germany, yet he's ducked it / kicked the can down the road by freezing the £85K threshold for 2 years.

What is the point of the OTS if he doesn't implement their recommendations? They produce a lot of Reports, but in 7 years what have they done, what recommendation has been implemented? It's looking like a sham organisation giving the false illusion that the government give a sh1t about fundamental tax reform.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
To expand on the housing point. The system is broken.

I bought my house in 2009 for 187k. It is a new build. Next door sold for 195k (I won).

Roll forward to 2017. Houses worth 300k (one in our row sold in the summer). My repayment mortgage is about 750 quid a month (if I didn't overpay). My neighbours pay about 1300 RENT a month.

So the rent is almost double my repayment mortgage and looking at 1k capital gains a month. So the people renting (young professionals) are losing out to the tune of over 1.5k a month.

How can that be right?

I suggest that you stop beating yourself over this. Try getting up half an hour earlier each day. Eventually you will be able to leave the house early enough that your neighbours curtains are still drawn.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here