Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Putting Pets Down.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Look, let's get real. We're talking about pets here, not human beings. Pets do not live as long as humans and so they're likely going to die a lot sooner than you do. If you cannot handle a pet dying, then I suggest you refrain from owning one.

And while I'm at it (and this has become a big bugbear of mine recently) what is all this crap about pet insurance, pet supermarkets, toys for pets, vets on every street corner? You're being taken for a ride, people. You have a pet, it gets ill, you have it put down. That's the way it was back when the world was a more sensible place. A lot of smart people are making a lot of money out of you pet lovers and it's time you woke up and realised you're being taken for a very expensive ride.

And then there's the issue of picking up after your dog. If aliens saw us walking our dogs and picking up their poop, who would they think is in charge? Not in a million years would I pick up dog shit.

Rant over.
Nob.

(again)

matey

Mar 16, 2014
When my best friends moved .. they dug up "Rommel", their German shepherd, ashes and took him to there new house.

ps his ashes were in a mahogany box with brass plate paid for by my wife else he would have been a plastic container.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Look, let's get real. We're talking about pets here, not human beings. Pets do not live as long as humans and so they're likely going to die a lot sooner than you do. If you cannot handle a pet dying, then I suggest you refrain from owning one.

And while I'm at it (and this has become a big bugbear of mine recently) what is all this crap about pet insurance, pet supermarkets, toys for pets, vets on every street corner? You're being taken for a ride, people. You have a pet, it gets ill, you have it put down. That's the way it was back when the world was a more sensible place. A lot of smart people are making a lot of money out of you pet lovers and it's time you woke up and realised you're being taken for a very expensive ride.

And then there's the issue of picking up after your dog. If aliens saw us walking our dogs and picking up their poop, who would they think is in charge? Not in a million years would I pick up dog shit.

Rant over.

images.jpg

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

Rant over.

Have you always been a ****? Or did it sneak up on you one day?

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii

Rant over.

I'll bite.

I hope one day you can love something more than you love yourself.

In any case you sound like a bit of cheesy bellend.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I absolutely feel your pain. We had our cats, brother and sister, for over 14 years. They were a present from me to my wife one Christmas. They soon turned from being a present, to being our kids effectively, and were just the most amazing cats with their own personalities. Then in December last year, the girl became sick, and in January, she was put down. Then a few months later, her brother got the same condition, and despite about 3 weeks of in/out of vets and home treatment, he also had to be put down.

Those last weeks were awful, we got the same eyes looking at us, filled with fear and stress. What on earth was going through their minds I will never know. The comfort and love they got at home, replaced with being in a place they hated, and not the secure environment they loved. I'm not ashamed to say there have been many tears, both at the time of putting them down, and since.

I feel real guilt over it, we tried to make them better, but in doing so made their last days horrible. I'm not sure I'll ever fully get my head around it all.

So OzMike, I know what you're going through and you have my deepest sympathy. I did actually contact a pet bereavement site as I was surprised how it was affecting me, so maybe try that as well if you have any things you need to verbalise (https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-bereavement-support).

RIP Roxy.

P1010136 copy.jpg

nelson73

Jan 9, 2014
lancing

Rant over.

tosser

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Yesterday evening we had Roxy, our Border Collie put down.
She was about 12 and a half years old and had lived outdoors all her life.
Kept her indoors a couple of times in the past when she was ill, but she used to go crazy so had to stay outdoors.
Her back legs had gone and she couldn't really walk, she hadn't eaten for 3 days, drank loads of water then brought it straight back up again with lots of yellow stuff in it.
She was in a bad way.
The vet came to our house and agreed with what should be done.
We made her comfortable and the vet gave her a sedative which very gradually put her to sleep.
Whilst she was going to sleep we all paid our respects and stoked her etc. then the vet gave her the lethal injection, though she was already out by then.
I originally got her for the kids and apart from walking her on occasion didn't really pay much attention, as I'm not a pet sort of person, she was pretty good at playing football though.
She grew up with the kids, as they were in their very early teens when I got her and they are really upset, especially my son.
She used to always follow me around, I was head of the house and I expect she new that.
Never thought I was attached till this happened, 4 days ago she was going about her business as usual, a bit slower because of her age and then crash.
She stared at me with 'what's wrong with me' eyes, I had to make the decision, didn't want to be selfish and prolong the inevitable, quality of life etc.
When she was gone I wrapped her in her favourite blanket and put her on a bench in my shed overnight, as it was too late and dark to do anything else.
This morning I dug a 4ft deep hole at her favourite sleeping place and buried her in her favourite blanket with her favourite toys.
I find myself quite upset, though I still had to go to work and I realise that even though I didn't pay too much attention to her, she definitely had an impact on me.
She had a lovely temperament and was always pleased to see anyone, even tried to drag herself to come meet me when I got home yesterday after work.
Never thought I'd admit it, but I'm glad I got her as she was really no trouble at all.
Won't be getting another because once is really enough for me.
Don't really know why I put this on here, maybe it helps.

I'm sorry mate. It is always hard losing a family pet. I had to put two cats down over the last few years both nearly 20. I had grown up with them from a young boy. What really helped me is burying them in the garden kinda making me feel like they are still near. You have to appreaciate that Roxy had a good innings and judging by the way you speak about her, im guessing she has a pretty dam good life.

I've also had a cpl of cats runover at the age of 2 to 3 years old. That was harder to get over as you feel like they haven't really had a life.

Remember the good times mate with a smile and keep a picture of her up :)

RIP Roxy x

Two of the saddest days of my life, when we lost our cat then a couple of years later one of the dogs.
Both buried in our garden now, but don't underestimate the level of grief, it really did upset me, Cassie (dog) was ill but Tammy our cat died as a result of a fight with a Fox, something which does stick in the throat when the Tree Huggers start banging on about how hard done by foxes are.

Sorry to hear about your cat. Our cats use to play with the foxes. can't class all foxes as cat killers though.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton

Rant over.

What a horrible post. Whether you agree with the OP or not you should atleast show empathy to his pain.

You are quite right though pets are not human beings however there is nothing wrong with showing compassion and emotion for anything in life. In my experience people who care and love animals/pets are much more balanced and in touch with there emotions than someone who doesn't.

I find it lovely that so many people on here love their pets as much as i do...

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I'm glad that's not just us! We've got the ashes of our two, we intended to scatter them, but just couldn't - and we'll keep the ashes of the others when they go as well.My wife and I have agreed that the dogs' ashes will go with whichever of us goes first, so they won't be alone.
Not just me either, then. We have three boxes waiting while we decide what to do.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Rant over.

9.12 you posted that...what a way to start the day, what a pleasant person you are. Karma's coming to get yer though.

RIP Rocky Dog, you've gone to a better place and one day will be reunited with [MENTION=5203]OzMike[/MENTION]

Yesterday evening we had Roxy, our Border Collie put down.
She was about 12 and a half years old and had lived outdoors all her life.
Kept her indoors a couple of times in the past when she was ill, but she used to go crazy so had to stay outdoors.
Her back legs had gone and she couldn't really walk, she hadn't eaten for 3 days, drank loads of water then brought it straight back up again with lots of yellow stuff in it.
She was in a bad way.
The vet came to our house and agreed with what should be done.
We made her comfortable and the vet gave her a sedative which very rgradually put her to sleep.
Whilst she was going to sleep we all paid our respects and stoked her etc. then the vet gave her the lethal injection, though she was already out by then.
I originally got her for the kids and apart from walking her on occasion didn't really pay much attention, as I'm not a pet sort of person, she was pretty good at playing football though.
She grew up with the kids, as they were in their very early teens when I got her and they are really upset, especially my son.
She used to always follow me around, I was head of the house and I expect she new that.
Never thought I was attached till this happened, 4 days ago she was going about her business as usual, a bit slower because of her age and then crash.
She stared at me with 'what's wrong with me' eyes, I had to make the decision, didn't want to be selfish and prolong the inevitable, quality of life etc.
When she was gone I wrapped her in her favourite blanket and put her on a bench in my shed overnight, as it was too late and dark to do anything else.
This morning I dug a 4ft deep hole at her favourite sleeping place and buried her in her favourite blanket with her favourite toys.
I find myself quite upset, though I still had to go to work and I realise that even though I didn't pay too much attention to her, she definitely had an impact on me.
She had a lovely temperament and was always pleased to see anyone, even tried to drag herself to come meet me when I got home yesterday after work.
Never thought I'd admit it, but I'm glad I got her as she was really no trouble at all.
Won't be getting another because once is really enough for me.
Don't really know why I put this on here, maybe it helps.
Didn't help me nearly in tears on the 5b

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
My heart goes out to you , it's the hardest thing I've had to do . Twice in the past 10years , almost puts me of getting another dog.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
We lost our beloved cat on Saturday night after the game. He had a heart condition so we knew he wouldn't live to a old age (he was 10), but he died suddenly out of the blue. I buried in him the garden on Sat night in the rain with his favourite toys and blanket. The worst thing is, I keep looking for him and the house feels so quiet. I am devastated and never knew I could be so affected by grief.

Never even felt this way when people have died.

This thread has helped, but not sure how I am going to get through this week trying to act if nothing has happened and dealing with stupid people with their stupid problems.

Pets become part of your routine and their unconditional love is always there, when its suddenly gone, it feels like a huge hole in your life. :(

Sad times

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Not just me either, then. We have three boxes waiting while we decide what to do.

Now we have four boxes following the loss of our oldest. He was fine on the Thursday but took a very quick dive and after vet visits on Friday and Saturday he was put to sleep peacefully at home in his own bed. I am heartbroken and, despite previous losses, I can see why it would be easy to say "never again". The joy from sharing our lives with them is hard to see from here. And that is with still owning another four.

Sharing the pain on here is helpful and makes you realise you are not alone.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
You only 'borrow' your children but dogs are almost entirely dependent upon you. You teach children to be independent as soon as they can walk and prepare to leave you, but dogs need attention for life and, when it comes to the end, to finish that life. Utterly sickening feeling to put the phone down from the vet after hearing "bring her in for 11.30 then". And then that's it - memories of a full life crammed into the last hour alive.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My heart goes out to the OP.

We had our much loved 21 year old cat put to sleep a couple of years. She was fine, then got very poorly from no where. I was the only one of our family that could face being with her in the moment. A compassionate vet at New Priory did the necessary, with me there. Floods of tears shed before, during and after. We buried her under her favourite sunny patch in the garden, with all her favourite things. Stinging eyes just typing this.

Within a few weeks we'd taken rescue twin kittens from the RSPCA. They're great fun and have landed on their paws in a friendly, warm home.

We'll never forget our last cat. We have loads of pics and videos, giving happy memories.

nelson73

Jan 9, 2014
lancing
We lost our beloved cat on Saturday night after the game. He had a heart condition so we knew he wouldn't live to a old age (he was 10), but he died suddenly out of the blue. I buried in him the garden on Sat night in the rain with his favourite toys and blanket. The worst thing is, I keep looking for him and the house feels so quiet. I am devastated and never knew I could be so affected by grief.

Never even felt this way when people have died.

This thread has helped, but not sure how I am going to get through this week trying to act if nothing has happened and dealing with stupid people with their stupid problems.

Pets become part of your routine and their unconditional love is always there, when its suddenly gone, it feels like a huge hole in your life. :(

Sad times

sorry to hear that mate :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here