Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2016

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I never go out for roasts either, but clearly many do as just about every pub serves it on a Sunday. And in far too many restaurants, it's the only thing you can get on a Sunday lunch.
RE pub food: Little Blue Smokehouse at the Seven Stars?

And in return a question for you: I've got three friends down next Tuesday, we're going to a wine tasting early evening, but want to eat afterwards, when we'll be already on the way. So, no 'fine' dining (ruling out, e.g., Gingerman, Set, 64 Degrees, etc), but as high quality as possible. I was going to go to Flank at The Cow, but they're about to move, and I suspect will be gone by next Tuesday. Other things I'm considering are the Seven Stars, Bincho Yakitori (which I haven't been to yet) and Fourth & Church. Any thoughts?

Missus has ruled out Little Blue Smokehouse (we went one night and it was really busy which put her off.I think I'm going to push for Senor Buddha.

Bincho Yakitori is a good shout, especially if you haven't been yet. Have you considered somewhere like Giggling Squid or even the new (ish) Planet India on Third Avenue? There's always Curry Leaf Cafe too, which is good after a few.

As an aside the Little FIsh Market has cemented it's place as the best restaurant in town with three AA rosettes awarded last night.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Missus has ruled out Little Blue Smokehouse (we went one night and it was really busy which put her off.I think I'm going to push for Senor Buddha.

Bincho Yakitori is a good shout, especially if you haven't been yet. Have you considered somewhere like Giggling Squid or even the new (ish) Planet India on Third Avenue? There's always Curry Leaf Cafe too, which is good after a few.

As an aside the Little FIsh Market has cemented it's place as the best restaurant in town with three AA rosettes awarded last night.

Thanks, but as to your aside, I've been to the Little Fish Market once and was most disappointed by it. He thinks he's a lot better than he actually is, portions were very small, execution questionable, it was over-priced, had one shocking 'wine' (an apple ice wine) on the list that anyone who had a modicum of a palate would laugh away. You carry on praising it though, and I might have to give it another go.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Thanks, but as to your aside, I've been to the Little Fish Market once and was most disappointed by it. He thinks he's a lot better than he actually is, portions were very small, execution questionable, it was over-priced, had one shocking 'wine' (an apple ice wine) on the list that anyone who had a modicum of a palate would laugh away. You carry on praising it though, and I might have to give it another go.

:)

We'll see

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I just noticed this and thought I'd flag it up, in case it appeals to anyone.

"To break the year up as we countdown to another Brighton’s Best restaurant awards, we’re proud to announce OctoberBest, a new festival will highlight Brighton's exciting restaurant scene this autumn.

From the 17th to 30th October 2016, the first ever OctoberBEST will see the city's top 20 restaurants offer special £20 menus and deals to all diners."

http://www.brightonsbestrestaurants.com/octoberbest/

Thanks for that just booked Semolina for my birthday and 24 St George's for my anniversary which are just four days apart.

I went to 24 St George's two years ago and was hugely impressed, never been to Semolina but some strong reviews for this place.

Foodie Eshe

Apr 28, 2016
Hassocks
Decided yesterday that the Westdene family wanted a decent roast dinner out yesterday. Tried to book loads of places but the short notice made it very difficult. In the end decided to try The Connaught and we managed to get in.

Plates came out completely loaded which is a good sign ..... unfortunately the signs didn't represent the reality.

The pork belly was mostly under cooked fat - Mrs W took hers back and got it replaced with chicken. Surprisingly the chicken was a leg and thigh joint rather than breast which you would expect to get for a £14 dish.

My lamb was overcooked yet somehow the fat remained chewy. Too many sweet veg rather than a balance and the 'roast' potatoes were soggy. Spinach had enough pepper in it to blow your head off. Yorkshire puds were the worst I've EVER had and I include supermarket budget ones in that. Plain, unseasoned, dry and no puff.

The only saving grace was the cauli cheese which was great but for which we had to pay extra for.

One of the worst roasts any of the four of us had ever had. 2/10

The Connaught has gone down hill recently - used to be very good which is a shame.

My top 3 places for a roast are: The Jolly Poacher, Flank and The Market.

At The Market plates are piled high not just with trimmings but gorgeous chunky carvings of meat too. My beef was perfectly rare and my friend's pork tender with crispy crackling. On my first visit last year potatoes were a little on the hard side and plates weren't warmed - but I went back this weekend and it was very good. Full review, picture etc on here: http://foodieeshe.com/market-restaurant-bar/

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
The Leon chain has opened it's first outlet by the clock tower. Anyone a fan?

It's alright. I've visited the King's Cross outlet a few times just before catching the train oop north. The food isn't that hot, the choices are limited, and the value is poor, and the meal is served in stupid cardboard boxes that get soggy with the dressing used, but if you want the pretence of "healthy" fast food with an original menu and are short of time, this is as convenient as any other comparable restaurant.

Would not go out of my way to visit, and you are certainly not missing out on anything by avoiding it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Went to The Urchin last night with Mrs W. The better half loves shellfish although I'm nonplussed about it so it was treat for Mrs W.

Have to say it was great disappointment !

We both had a couple of Rock Oysters which were very fresh and the additions were good.

Mrs W started with the squid which was a little chewy - not the worse squid I've tasted but certainly not the best and very expensive for the portion.

I had Soft Shell Crab with Thai salad. The salad was nice enough but the crab was poor. It had been deep fried but the coating was so greasy that you couldn't taste the crab. Crab is a delicate meat and needs to be carefully balanced with what is put with it. I don't know if the oil hadn't been changed for a while but all you could taste was deep fat frying.

Main course Mrs W had Giant King Prawns with garlic and couscous. The prawns were good but the serving of couscous was both basic - just couscous with spring onions - and mean, just one tablespoon worth. Not being a great shellfish fan I had the veggie option of filo parcels with Mediterranean veg, feta and pearl barley. Despite not being mentioned on the menu it had enough chilli to blow your head off !!!! I sent it back and got a replacement with no chilli. The replacement had so much salt it was inedible so was sent back as well ( couldn't be bothered by then to pick anything else ). The side salad we ordered to share was extremely vinigarly as well.

To be fair, there was no argument about me sending my food back and they compensated us by not charging for my main course, not charging for Mrs W's main course and giving us a free cheese board ( which was a very nice cheese board ).

Personally I found it all over priced, small potions and not very good quality - we won't be returning. 2/10

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
The Leon chain has opened it's first outlet by the clock tower. Anyone a fan?

Went to one in London a couple of years ago before a gig. They did a chorizo burger in a brioche bun, lattice chips and a bottle of beer for £8.50 - it was spot on and the restaurant was pleasant too. I think they'll do well in Brighton.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's alright. I've visited the King's Cross outlet a few times just before catching the train oop north. The food isn't that hot, the choices are limited, and the value is poor, and the meal is served in stupid cardboard boxes that get soggy with the dressing used, but if you want the pretence of "healthy" fast food with an original menu and are short of time, this is as convenient as any other comparable restaurant.

Would not go out of my way to visit, and you are certainly not missing out on anything by avoiding it.

Absolutely this, word for word

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm off to Chicago next week and have spent considerable time sourcing decent food and craft beer options. I'm really looking forward to eating and drinking my way around the Windy City. If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations please let me know.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm off to Chicago next week and have spent considerable time sourcing decent food and craft beer options. I'm really looking forward to eating and drinking my way around the Windy City. If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations please let me know.

Cracking jazz scene out there, apparently. So good you could eat it.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

We went to the Green Mill jazz bar which was superb.

Had an excellent steak at Kenzie's

On the millennium road we had several good meals the pick probably being the Gage.

Enjoyed Chicago I went the week after the marathon and it was just starting to get cold.

Jul 7, 2003

Never made it out of the O'Hare myself but can recommend Tortas Frontera in Terminal 1 for a pre-flight snack. The Short Rib tostada I had last year was great - far too good for airport food. Don't be put off by the queues - they move quite quickly.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Went to The Urchin last night with Mrs W. The better half loves shellfish although I'm nonplussed about it so it was treat for Mrs W.

Have to say it was great disappointment !

We both had a couple of Rock Oysters which were very fresh and the additions were good.

Mrs W started with the squid which was a little chewy - not the worse squid I've tasted but certainly not the best and very expensive for the portion.

I had Soft Shell Crab with Thai salad. The salad was nice enough but the crab was poor. It had been deep fried but the coating was so greasy that you couldn't taste the crab. Crab is a delicate meat and needs to be carefully balanced with what is put with it. I don't know if the oil hadn't been changed for a while but all you could taste was deep fat frying.

Main course Mrs W had Giant King Prawns with garlic and couscous. The prawns were good but the serving of couscous was both basic - just couscous with spring onions - and mean, just one tablespoon worth. Not being a great shellfish fan I had the veggie option of filo parcels with Mediterranean veg, feta and pearl barley. Despite not being mentioned on the menu it had enough chilli to blow your head off !!!! I sent it back and got a replacement with no chilli. The replacement had so much salt it was inedible so was sent back as well ( couldn't be bothered by then to pick anything else ). The side salad we ordered to share was extremely vinigarly as well.

To be fair, there was no argument about me sending my food back and they compensated us by not charging for my main course, not charging for Mrs W's main course and giving us a free cheese board ( which was a very nice cheese board ).

Personally I found it all over priced, small potions and not very good quality - we won't be returning. 2/10
How is seafood (generally) so shite in Brighton? It always surprises me given that we live on the coast.

Is the seafood of poor quality, or just that the chef's in charge that are preparing it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here