Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Burnley fan, here in peace...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I honestly think that this is the only post that the OP needed to read. Sensible and to the point. Al of the other conflicting suggestions as to pubs and locales, are only serving to completely confuse him!

Yeah, but he's an away fan, we don't want to be TOO helpful.

Personally I'd stay in Henfield in the Bell Hotel. Good beer there as well, although you could also go to the Gardeners. You can leave as late as 10 minutes before kick-off and catch the direct train straight to Falmer. Doddle.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
If you go to the Stanmer House (which is quite possibly the second closest pub to the Amex) you're probably paying three times what you'd pay in Burnley.

It's interesting that the three pubs nearest the station are generally no go for away fans, yet pubs just a few metres away would bring no problems at all. I've certainly seen plenty of away fans in the Evening Star before a game

If you go to Stammer House you'll be paying three times what you'd pay in Brighton! Lovely place for a picnic, though - I hear they're tough up north.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If you go to Stammer House you'll be paying three times what you'd pay in Brighton! Lovely place for a picnic, though - I hear they're tough up north.

Yes, that's a fair point. I only went there once (that was a few years back) and it took me a few weeks to recover from the prices charged there - it's probably about £10 a pint now. It's a lovely walk to the stadium from there but those prices are something else

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
We're stopping in a hotel up by 'Western Lawns', so plan to be there about lunchtime on Saturday, head to Brighton centre and have a beer or two there, then get thre train up to Falmer from there. Some handy recommendations, certainly for the train too, cheers guys.

If you have time central Hove is great too for pubs and bars.

Enjoy your stay :thumbsup:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The walk from where you're staying to the centre has quite a few good pubs to break up the stroll. Bison Beer, The Wick, Lion and Lobster (great Sunday roast if you're in town for long enough), Robin Hood and The Windmill spring to mind.
Coming down next month to see my stepmum who lives about one minute from the Lion and Lobster. I'm already salivating about the Sunday roast. Superb.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well by-and-large they can and they do; reasonably behaved away fans are fine in the North Laine pubs; I've not seen any problems for years. People are only suggesting avoiding The Railway Bell, Grand Central and Queens Head by the station because you get a more aggressive type of Albion fan in them...

Including one particular non-attending whinge-monkey with a small collection of hand-held recordings of men in tight trousers hanging around near pubs that he occasionally posts in lieu of anything meaningful to say about the Albion, football, or indeed anything, that has transpired since the mid 90s. Apart from Brexit (which he wants to be hard). Although he's apparently a nice bloke in the flesh. Aren't we all. Me? I'm ****ing lovely.

Edit: apologies for derail-waybell-ing the thread

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Including one particular non-attending whinge-monkey with a small collection of hand-held recordings of men in tight trousers hanging around near pubs that he occasionally posts in lieu of anything meaningful to say about the Albion, football, or indeed anything, that has transpired since the mid 90s. Apart from Brexit (which he wants to be hard). Although he's apparently a nice bloke in the flesh. Aren't we all. Me? I'm ****ing lovely.

Edit: apologies for derail-waybell-ing the thread

He won’t be happy that Albion fans on NSC are actively promoting Burnley fans drinking in “our Manor”.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Last season when I went up, we were paying £2.85 a pint in some places. I remember my mate handed over £30 for 5 pints and got change back from a twenty.

I paid less than that in the centre of Burnley this season. Meanwhile, in Harrogate the other week it was £5.00 a pint, and £3.50 for a cup of tea - and these weren't posh places. Two pubs in my town on the edge of the Lake District, beer is around £3 (all ales, not lagers). Go a bit into the Lakes and you pay the tourist bump-up of a pound or so. It varies tremendously - there's divides within the N/S divide now. The cheapest regular prices I've found over the last five years are the Welsh Borders - everything seems a bit more reasonable there.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I honestly think that this is the only post that the OP needed to read. Sensible and to the point. Al of the other conflicting suggestions as to pubs and locales, are only serving to completely confuse him!

This post below that was on page 1 is good advice Cowfold.
Loads of good pubs withi 15 mins walk of Brighton station but avoid those that you see as you exit the station (busy, home fans, not great beer, etc).

Leave station main entrance, turn left down hill/ under bridge, walk for 10 minutes, turn right along any street and you’ll be in North Laine (not The Lanes) and you’ll find loads of decent pubs.
Get back to Brighton station at least 90 mins before KO or get a taxi to ground.

Thrasher

Mar 18, 2018
On the Boundary
As well as train travel, your match ticket is also valid for travel on brighton buses (for period roughly 3 hours before kick off / 3 hours after match). Buses do not generally run along seafront (only Stagecoach 700) you would need to walk up to Church Road / Western Road where most routes will take you to Churchill Square and North street.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I paid less than that in the centre of Burnley this season. Meanwhile, in Harrogate the other week it was £5.00 a pint, and £3.50 for a cup of tea - and these weren't posh places. Two pubs in my town on the edge of the Lake District, beer is around £3 (all ales, not lagers). Go a bit into the Lakes and you pay the tourist bump-up of a pound or so. It varies tremendously - there's divides within the N/S divide now. The cheapest regular prices I've found over the last five years are the Welsh Borders - everything seems a bit more reasonable there.

Harrogate is posh as ****. Nice place but very expensive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here