Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] World's Hardest Creature XII - Coming Soon(ish)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Oooh, is it an alpha male chimp? He was proper hard in Dynasties, that fella. Got battered by a few up adolescent chimps, left for dead by the troop, then got up 2 days later, found them all and then squared up to the little twàts with a "who's the daddy?" attitude. HARD.

**** me you do really go for the most boring options. The one you champion got beaten up by some little spotty teenage chimps.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Well then, I cannot wait to see what you've got in store.

A well marketed new comer who can take the competition by storm always delivers a great WHC.

It’s what the competition is about.

I will need to build a coalition of supporters to get this monster off the ground and in to the latter stages. I assume I can count on your backing?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'd like to propose a Linnean-based seeding this year, so that we can fully capture the majesty of our natural world. Under this format, each group would be separated by biological classification, so that the true masters of each clade would emerge:

Group 1 : Carnivora, the teethiest of the mammals. A true group of death.
Group 2 : Other mammals, who have to use a range of sneaky skills or sheer bulk to best their toothier cousins. Here's looking at you mouse
Group 3 : Birds, our feathered friends. Admittedly a weaker group this one, but a few worthy contenders
Group 4 : Herpetofauna. Who needs warm blood to be the hardest of them all?
Group 5 : Fish. The Great White Shark is likely to stroll this one, but who will join her in the second round?
Group 6 : Terrestrial invertebrates. They creep, they crawl, they bite, they sting...
Group 7 : Marine invertebrates. The denizens of the deep, long in tentacle and hard in beak...
Group 8 : Non-Animals - the Animal Kingdom may be hard, but there are five other Kingdoms out there with creatures waiting to get you.........

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'd like to propose a Linnean-based seeding this year, so that we can fully capture the majesty of our natural world. Under this format, each group would be separated by biological classification, so that the true masters of each clade would emerge:

Group 2 : Other mammals, who have to use a range of sneaky skills or sheer bulk to best their toothier cousins. Here's looking at you mouse
Group 3 : Birds, our feathered friends. Admittedly a weaker group this one, but a few worthy contenders
Group 5 : Fish. The Great White Shark is likely to stroll this one, but who will join her in the second round?
Group 6 : Terrestrial invertebrates. They creep, they crawl, they bite, they sting...
Group 7 : Marine invertebrates. The denizens of the deep, long in tentacle and hard in beak...
Group 8 : Non-Animals - the Animal Kingdom may be hard, but there are five other Kingdoms out there with creatures waiting to get you.........

No thank you.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Simon Barnes in the Sunday Times has obviously been looking forward to this year's competition: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...rld-featherweight-champion-predator-tm5r6dgsj

Even includes a put down of the Honey Badger - not hard, just too slow to run away!

Britain’s stoat, the world featherweight champion predator
The Sunday Times, January 6 2019, 12:01am

The world’s top predator lives in my garden. I reached that conclusion after a stunning encounter during the morning chores. It often happens that country life involves country death, a matter you soon learn to view without gloating or weeping: and so I was startled, if not exactly surprised, by a piercing scream as I worked among the feed bins.

I went out to investigate — and it was as I thought, but even more dramatic. A lithe stoat, perhaps 3in high at his slender shoulder, had brought down a fully grown rabbit and was in the process of killing it by severing the spinal cord. The rabbit was a good 10 times his size: like human v rhinoceros.

The stoat saw me and vanished like the extinguishing of a candle flame. The rabbit did not: his travelling days were done. I retreated, but a little later I had to pass that way again, and the rabbit had gone: dragged into cover by this stoat of impossible strength.

Boxing people like to talk about who is “pound for pound” the best fighter, as if weight categories could be set aside. And it occurred to me that the stoat is perhaps pound for pound the world’s most effective predator. Now this, like the boxing discussion, is a pub argument that need never end: but it’s instructive all the same.

Let’s set aside the predators who work in packs and prides: wild dogs have a success rate as high as 90%, but I’m looking for animals that strike alone. A tiger can bring down a fully grown gaur, the Asian wild cattle that are sometimes 7ft high at the shoulder, but to compete with a stoat, the tiger would have to kill elephants on a routine basis.

Other contenders include the Tasmanian devil, a marsupial predator that seems to have the head of a much larger animal on its shoulders. No one who loves Africa can fail to put up the claims of the honey badger: largely because honey badgers, being slow moving, will confront rather than flee. They have a reputation for launching themselves at the crotch of humans who disturb them.

Today, though, I’m rooting for the stoat. With apricot fur and teddy-bear ears, they don’t look at first glance like creatures of perfect ferocity: but they are perhaps the finest ambush predators on the planet. There are monsters at the bottom of my garden.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Wouldn't the Hippo just sit on the Tardigrade? etc

Cassowary hasn't even sniffed the quarters since 2014, but yeah you'd be MAD to rule it out.

tmg-article_tall.jpg

You wot M8?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
**** me you do really go for the most boring options. The one you champion got beaten up by some little spotty teenage chimps.

Honey Badger as usual for you then? :yawn:

Anyone can get caught out by a handful of ratboys - it doesn't make you soft if you're a victim of bullies. It's how he handled this episode that made him HARD. He rocked back in all battered, missing a thumb which had been bitten off, and showed who was boss. HARD.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Its a no from me! Team Mouse.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Honey Badger as usual for you then? :yawn:

Anyone can get caught out by a handful of ratboys - it doesn't make you soft if you're a victim of bullies. It's how he handled this episode that made him HARD. He rocked back in all battered, missing a thumb which had been bitten off, and showed who was boss. HARD.

Honey Badger got his win a couple of years ago against UNBELIEVABLE odds and an entire infrastructure built against him. I'm totally easy from now on as to who wins, everyone is fully aware who the People's Champion is, and always will be.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here