Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Darts girls face axe

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Quite. One of the darts ladies gave a robust defence in that she in no way feels exploited and loves her job. 80% of her income coming from these events.

That’s a bit ungrateful of her. Us men are only telling these girls their job should be closed down to save them from themselves. Women are not always best equipped to make good judgements especially surrounding modern moral issues, they need us blokes, as shown by this thread, to tell them what is right.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If they want to get rid of girls from non sporting events, maybe they should do the same to F1 as well

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Has anyone on this thread ever been to the PDC at Ally Pally?

Does the removal of walk on girls include all the scantily clad women in the hospitality areas be moved as well? The whole thing is like a 1970s throwback which makes it part of the fun.

To be hon st I think the joke is on those who get off on this. Women demonstrating their sexuality shows their control in my book. I really wonder about this perception they are exploited.

Just seems to be the way society is going at the moment. Some snowflake initiatives are good but their righteous militancy does annoy me sometomes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Society is changing very very fast with extreme liberalism views being put into place.The country is run by these types and the next generation are being brainwashed at a rate of knots in universities as we speak.
This country has no direction or backbone and is constantly looked at as a soft touch and rightly so and this is why liberalism will eventually destroy everything that was great about this country.The sense of humour is disappearing as people just don't know what's offensive and what's not....these hideous snowflakes/liberals would run a mile if we went to war and would cry like little babies because they've been pampered and smothered for most of their lives.

It's just the beginning of what's coming sadly !!!

Put more accurately, society is changing very fast, there is something of a gender revolution and maybe one day you and others will see women as equals, not simply people for you to leer at or do whatever menial job you think is appropriate. It's women now, I sincerely hope that it's people from ethnic minorities and immigrants next and I for one will greatly enjoy watching the meltdown among those who struggle to come to terms with it.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Society is changing very very fast with extreme liberalism views being put into place.The country is run by these types and the next generation are being brainwashed at a rate of knots in universities as we speak.
This country has no direction or backbone and is constantly looked at as a soft touch and rightly so and this is why liberalism will eventually destroy everything that was great about this country.The sense of humour is disappearing as people just don't know what's offensive and what's not....these hideous snowflakes/liberals would run a mile if we went to war and would cry like little babies because they've been pampered and smothered for most of their lives.

It's just the beginning of what's coming sadly !!!

I think you are being a little over dramatic. Having scantily dressed women at sporting events is rather outdated and it does encourage a climate of disrespect towards women. I have been of that opinion for decades and others of my age feel the same. It’s not a new viewpoint.
As to your points about the direction of society, it probably depends where you live. Sure there are some very noisy voices in cities trying to force a particular agenda but most people (particularly in the countryside) just get on with their lives without any need for advice from students and other city slickers.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Put more accurately, society is changing very fast, there is something of a gender revolution and maybe one day you and others will see women as equals, not simply people for you to leer at or do whatever menial job you think is appropriate. It's women now, I sincerely hope that it's people from ethnic minorities and immigrants next and I for one will greatly enjoy watching the meltdown among those who struggle to come to terms with it.

Women should also stop wearing stuff that encourages me to leer, and at my age it's dangerous, bring on the burka

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009

I think that you’re way off the mark. In 100 years time, in the Islamic State Of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, women will be second class citizens.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Are the Chippendales banned yet ? If not why not ?

Nobody has suggested banning strippers at a strip show. Consenting adults and all that.

However, there is absolutely no need to perpetuate the damaging stereotype that women's only purpose is to look pretty and wear a sash or hold up a number in front of a family audience.

FFS its the 21st Century. Bullsh1t like this should have been done away with DECADES ago.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I think that you’re way off the mark. In 100 years time, in the Islamic State Of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, women will be second class citizens.

Willful misunderstanding of Politics, Anthopology, Human Nature AND Sharia Law. Well done! The 1970s called. They want their misogynistic, islamophobic, racist, sexist d!ckheads back. Heed the Call!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Interesting but remember school kids these days are taught about respecting core British values like freedom and tolerance.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...freedom-and-tolerance-says-David-Cameron.html

Indeedy do, freedom and tolerance.

This country was once ruled by an establishment of joyless puritans that banned Christmas, and singing and dancing. They soon got f@cked off, this current incarnation of the same will get f@cked off in time too..........we know who they are, as do they.

I watched this recently, I thought it was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDK7EiDm1Lk

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think this is a really interesting one, and not as clear-cut as the agenda-driven lobby would have us believe.

I get the 'objectifying women' argument, and that it is part of a wider and deeper process that changes attitudes towards them. I wouldn't want my daughters to be viewed only like that.

Equally, there are women that are making a good living from these kinds of jobs, setting up their own one-woman companies, then employing staff, running a business. And I'd be quite proud of my daughter doing that one day.

People make the most of what they've got in life. If what you've got is looking very attractive, should you be denied the right to make a living using that? And pursuing that logically, how far do you go? Scrap the modelling industry, men and women, completely? Because that is little different. You don't get many 'ugly' models.

There is also a difference between the dancers at the darts - because that is a clear skill - and the walk-on girls, who are just 'decoration'. I suspect the walk-on girls will go, and the dancers will stay.

But once again the current furore just shows us as a nation that is not at ease with itself at all on so many fronts. A couple of stories here and there and we go into a news tailspin.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think this is a really interesting one, and not as clear-cut as the agenda-driven lobby would have us believe.

I get the 'objectifying women' argument, and that it is part of a wider and deeper process that changes attitudes towards them. I wouldn't want my daughters to be viewed only like that.

Equally, there are women that are making a good living from these kinds of jobs, setting up their own one-woman companies, then employing staff, running a business. And I'd be quite proud of my daughter doing that one day.

People make the most of what they've got in life. If what you've got is looking very attractive, should you be denied the right to make a living using that? And pursuing that logically, how far do you go? Scrap the modelling industry, men and women, completely? Because that is little different. You don't get many 'ugly' models.

There is also a difference between the dancers at the darts - because that is a clear skill - and the walk-on girls, who are just 'decoration'. I suspect the walk-on girls will go, and the dancers will stay.

But once again the current furore just shows us as a nation that is not at ease with itself at all on so many fronts. A couple of stories here and there and we go into a news tailspin.

I think you make some good points here and I agree.

Are you saying that the reaction is evidence of a nation that is not at ease with itself or that the decision is? I think the issue here is that we live in a world where anyone and everyone can express their opinion and/or start a petition. The article i read has tweets about the subject matter as part of its narrative.. This means that suddenly everyone is accusing everyone else of being offended about stuff as soon as they post an opinion. The broadcaster (is that the BBC? have obviously weighed up the thoughts of their viewers and decided that in the main most viewers would prefer not to have the walk on girls. With pressure from the BBC i suppose this gives the promoters a choice between acquiescing or finding another broadcaster.

I wonder what % of the darts audience the 15,000 who signed the petition makes up. Perhaps the BBC are wrong on this one and most darts fans would prefer the walk on girls . A quick look at the yougov stats shows that the average viewing figures are just over 900,000 so the 15,000 isn't much of an audience share. http://www.smg-insight.com/darts-bigger-more-diverse-than-you-think/

It also shows that darts was shown on Sky not the BBC. Is this still the case? In which case that rules out the possibility of a lefty, snowflake conspiracy from the broadcaster.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
You’ll have to point me towards the flagrant and systematic use of men to sell sports to a predominantly female audience please. Come on US, you know as well as I that darts, boxing, cycling etc have basically used young women for a reason on their podiums. There just isn’t the same use of men in tight speedos. Can’t we please all accept that it’s outdated and it’s disrespectful?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whats wrong with using women to sell sports ?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Exactly. And having been to a few darts events in my time I know there plenty of 50 year old council estate women attending who
Would go bonkers for a bloke in a posing pouch.

Youre a middle class failed.actor who went to boarding school , you havent been anywhere near a darts event :lolol:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
whats wrong with using women to sell sports ?

Bit busy today, but in short I'd say this, the use of women to sell has huge detrimental effects on the way women view themselves and the way men view women.

Most models weigh an average of 23 percent less than a typical woman. Twenty years ago, this difference was a mere 8 percent.
Problems with eating disorders have increased over 400 percent since the year 1970.
Only 5 percent of women actually fit the current body type popularly portrayed in advertising today.
69 percent of girls concurred that models found in magazines had a major influence on their concept of what a perfect body shape should look like.

All that puts pressure on young girls and leads to self-esteem issues which in turn affects confidence and role in society.

There is other data available that illustrates the effects that the use of women in advertising, sales and corporate events has on men - especially shaping views at an early age.

There's equally data to show that ongoing use of false body types - male and female - also has an impact on young boys as well.

Body image has been portrayed in art throughout the ages, but it's only in the last 100 years that there has been such an acceleration of the use of body image to sell. That's why it's bought into sharper focus as an issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here