Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Match of the Day

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Did they interview CH after the game or just United bods? Was so uninterested after not mentioning our gallant effort I switched off and went to bed.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Did they interview CH after the game or just United bods? Was so uninterested after not mentioning our gallant effort I switched off and went to bed.

They did but it was un-broadcastable - given the foul language he used.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Their view of Salah's dive made me laugh too. They said 'he feels contact and takes a moment to realise it, then throws himself on the ground.' So there was contact. Less contact than their was from Gross last week, but Gross's challenge was still not enough to make him fall over. He threw himself to the ground in the same way, but without the second's delay. MotD view: One stonewall penalty, one absolutely disgraceful behaviour.

A nuanced discussion of diving would go into the intent of players when feeling contact in the box and discuss the grey areas between diving and looking to tempt a defender into contact, It would talk about the fine line between gamesmanship and cheating and the darkish arts that all teams to some degree practice and employ, but hardly ever speak of, but that would need honesty.

Shearer, Lineker and Murphy must have all been in training sessions where these things were shared or demonstrated. A few years back the BBC's Southern Football League Show even had a couple of items with (I think) Graham Murty and Steve Fletcher demonstrating them. A little more mea culpa would be welcome, but there generally seems to be a conspiracy of silence amongst ex-pro pundits at the top level who fake outrage at any player who gets caught crossing the fine line between falling to the ground whenever they feel contact and throwing themselves over an outstretched leg.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Goals on Sunday was as c**p as MOTD, didnt mention Proppers sublime pass for our goal.
Neither programme mentioned Matics elbow into Muzzas face, which the ref didnt even book him for.
Just tweeted them to accuse them of Big 6 bais TV reporting just like the refereeing.

Sadly they are only interested in providing a programme for what they see as their main audience, and United have a far bigger audience interested in what they do in a game then we will have, so they concentrate on them (same for any big 6 team) and the narrative would be aimed for that audience too (as seen here) and wont change until they think we have a big enough audience to merit the same sort of coverage as a lot of the other Premier League teams

I haven't heard the pundits comments but i guess it would be along the lines of Pogba had every right to go down there and it was a definite penalty but you could be certain that if it was the same incident but Brighton winning the penalty, they would be calling it soft, no penalty, a dive and a conning of the officials, etc...

Pogba cheated, he should never have gone down there, he successfully conned the officials into awarding a penalty (ref had a bad view looking at the highlights i have seen) and i can't wait for VAR to cut out a lot of that (if only it is used properly and this falling over like that is deemed to be what it is, cheating and the players booked as they should be but fear they wont, especially when it is a top 6 team's player falling over)

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Sadly they are only interested in providing a programme for what they see as their main audience, and United have a far bigger audience interested in what they do in a game then we will have, so they concentrate on them (same for any big 6 team) and the narrative would be aimed for that audience too (as seen here) and wont change until they think we have a big enough audience to merit the same sort of coverage as a lot of the other Premier League teams

I haven't heard the pundits comments but i guess it would be along the lines of Pogba had every right to go down there and it was a definite penalty but you could be certain that if it was the same incident but Brighton winning the penalty, they would be calling it soft, no penalty, a dive and a conning of the officials, etc...

Pogba cheated, he should never have gone down there, he successfully conned the officials into awarding a penalty (ref had a bad view looking at the highlights i have seen) and i can't wait for VAR to cut out a lot of that (if only it is used properly and this falling over like that is deemed to be what it is, cheating and the players booked as they should be but fear they wont, especially when it is a top 6 team's player falling over)

I'm not disputing the penalty,yes he went down easily, but VAR would have given the pen, no doubt Bong gave him a little shove.
We had 42% possession according to the stats, both tv shows gave the impression it was more like 12%, Gave no mention to Propper sublime pass for the goal or the assualt on Muzza, if Dale had done that to a Manc, it would have been straight red and he would have been lambasted on both tv shows.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
They didnt show our brilliant play in the second half or discuss how they were panicing like mad near the end. So biased it was unbelievable. Watching the penalty decision it was so soft in my humble view.

We really are the most precious of fans at times.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If they said Brighton played well and gave man u a tough game despite looking out of it at 2 nil down that would of been nice but not a word just how good man u are under ole and wonderful pogba who is back to his world class best now

:shrug:
Nothing new though is it...it’s the norm and tbh i don’t really value the options of most of their pundits

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Saturday MOTD is never up to much. Cramming in too many games, with hindsight merchants/hypocrites focusing on sundry incidents, whilst barely mentioning identical incidents by other teams.

Once you have Sky Sports with their unlimited time for analysis, MOTD seems Vauxhall Conference.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The Saturday MOTD is never up to much. Cramming in too many games, with hindsight merchants/hypocrites focusing on sundry incidents, whilst barely mentioning identical incidents by other teams.

Once you have Sky Sports with their unlimited time for analysis, MOTD seems Vauxhall Conference.

Sky's Soccer Saturday pre-kick-off discussions also dedicated about seven minutes to talking about Man Utd and then dismissed our involvement in a sentence or two. It's the nature of the beast when we play the top six, particularly United. The media are all obsessed with them.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sky's Soccer Saturday pre-kick-off discussions also dedicated about seven minutes to talking about Man Utd and then dismissed our involvement in a sentence or two. It's the nature of the beast when we play the top six, particularly United. The media are all obsessed with them.

Agree to an extent, but Sky have so much time in a season, that the Albion are analysed and praised a lot.

There’s no way that Shearer and Murphy have watched all Saturday’s matches in full in a couple of hours. They are fed highlights, subjectively chosen by amateurs compared to Sky.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don’t even bother to watch anymore. I either see the games live or on a stream so don’t feel the need to hear what the pundits have to say, they seldom give us anything than a making up the numbers review. Basically they don’t care about us and I don’t care about them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here