Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Locadia ...

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I agree with trying Locadia as no 10 but the problem then is that two from Knocky, March, Izzy and AJ will need to drop to the bench.

For me, Izzy must start and I would go with AJ, which means Knocky as sub in my book. Maybe March not even in the 18 especially if Gross is back.

Too many good players to fit in the team!! But a nice problem to have.

agree with you. Cant harm trying him there or maybe to help with the dilemma then put AJ number 10. Haven't really seen much from him yet but hoping he is going to do something good soon

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Is it because we have WON all of those 'last few games'?

I doubt he's finding it as hard to work out as you are.

We have won despite March’s meagre contribution. Not that hard to understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm just watching the Albion's season review from last year on DVD.
(other Albion DVDs are available):cool:
Locadia features in a fare few of the highlights, from what I have watched, there's much more to come from him, I'm sure IMO.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Locadia needs to go through a Glenn Murray boot camp. The guy is taller, faster, younger but yet he seems to lack desire (this is just my opinion).

I want to see him bullying defenders, making intelligent runs and showing real hunger to win a place in the team. I know that CMS was shite, but at least the guy put in the effort.

I don't think he's a lost cause, but he needs a mentor, or something to get his head right.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Locadia needs to go through a Glenn Murray boot camp. The guy is taller, faster, younger but yet he seems to lack desire (this is just my opinion).

I want to see him bullying defenders, making intelligent runs and showing real hunger to win a place in the team. I know that CMS was shite, but at least the guy put in the effort.

I don't think he's a lost cause, but he needs a mentor, or something to get his head right.

If we're embarking on cloning could you add 33% of Danny Cullip and Richard Carpenter into the mix?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
We have won despite March’s meagre contribution. Not that hard to understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just don't get March, struggle to see how he starts in front of the players on the bench !!!!

Especially in a role he does not fully understand, its almost like CH shoe horns him into the team just to have him in the team. Number 10 role FFS.

Baffles me.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I just don't get March, struggle to see how he starts in front of the players on the bench !!!!

Especially in a role he does not fully understand, its almost like CH shoe horns him into the team just to have him in the team. Number 10 role FFS.

Baffles me.

It is the role that March first played in the first team, under Oscar Garcia, and showed plenty of promise, before being moved out wide by subsequent managers.

You talk of others on the bench, but none of those is a #10, and Hughton's chosen system requires one. Yes you could instead play Locadia or Andone alongside Murray, or Bissouma in a three-man midfield, but you're either changing the system, or 'shoehorning' somebody out of position.

March has played every game this season, for a side that sit 11th in the Premier League. I wish we had Messi there too (or Pascal Groß, of course) but we don't. We have Solly March, and he's doing okay.

It is hugely apparent with the lad that confidence is an issue. He's at his best when he is feeling good and running at people. Maybe try offering some support, rather than effectively contributing to what you see as a problem :shrug:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It is the role that March first played in the first team, under Oscar Garcia, and showed plenty of promise, before being moved out wide by subsequent managers.

You talk of others on the bench, but none of those is a #10, and Hughton's chosen system requires one. Yes you could instead play Locadia or Andone alongside Murray, or Bissouma in a three-man midfield, but you're either changing the system, or 'shoehorning' somebody out of position.

March has played every game this season, for a side that sit 11th in the Premier League. I wish we had Messi there too (or Pascal Groß, of course) but we don't. We have Solly March, and he's doing okay.

It is hugely apparent with the lad that confidence is an issue. He's at his best when he is feeling good and running at people. Maybe try offering some support, rather than effectively contributing to what you see as a problem :shrug:

Absolutely this. March was very good on Saturday (or as good as any of our other attackers) and it was noticeable how the game shifted away from us after his substitution. He certainly didn't deserve to be brought off with AJ performing as he was.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008

I do offer support, I can have an opinion positive or negative, March for me is a Marmite player, I just cant help wondering how much more we would have in attack if Bissouma was playing in that role. Every time he plays he is high on confidence. You never see March taking people on any more he looks scared stiff to do that and maybe that's because the Manager has scared him half to death if he loses the ball. He now thinks I must not lose it, instead of I CAN take this player on.

It will be interesting to see if he's in the starting 11 when Gross is back.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I do offer support, I can have an opinion positive or negative, March for me is a Marmite player, I just cant help wondering how much more we would have in attack if Bissouma was playing in that role. Every time he plays he is high on confidence. You never see March taking people on any more he looks scared stiff to do that and maybe that's because the Manager has scared him half to death if he loses the ball. He now thinks I must not lose it, instead of I CAN take this player on.

It will be interesting to see if he's in the starting 11 when Gross is back.

Groß will obviously reclaim that position, which leaves March to fight for a place with the other three wide players. You'd think that Izquierdo is the most likely starter on the left, with March starting the 'tougher' games, when the full back is likely to need additional help.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
It really doesnt help that March is so one footed. Can get away with it wide but not down middle. Hope he looked at replay of Kayal making goal for Murray and see how he looked up before crossing

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Groß will obviously reclaim that position, which leaves March to fight for a place with the other three wide players. You'd think that Izquierdo is the most likely starter on the left, with March starting the 'tougher' games, when the full back is likely to need additional help.

At the moment for some reason I can see that being March regardless of who we're playing. Knocky defends just as well as March does, the difference when he plays he gives us something extra going forward. I would love to mark March, kick him artfully a few times and he will disappear.

On a plus point its good to have 4 options for 1 spot in the team.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
At the moment for some reason I can see that being March regardless of who we're playing. Knocky defends just as well as March does, the difference when he plays he gives us something extra going forward. I would love to mark March, kick him artfully a few times and he will disappear.

On a plus point its good to have 4 options for 1 spot in the team.

I'm sorry, but that is simply not true. Knockaert loses concentration, lets his man drift by him, and then ends up making a big show of charging back to make a tackle. Often a rash tackle, resulting in a free kick. He absolutely does put the work in, but it isn't controlled.

March's awareness of his defensive responsibilities is on a whole different level to AK (and to Izquierdo, tbh). He sits in front of Bong when required, making it very difficult for the opposition to run at the full back. Of course, in doing so, he suffers as an attacking force.

It's all about Hughton finding the balance between threat and solidity, at the end of the day. Right now, we are 11th in the Premier League, suggesting he's getting it more right than wrong.

wealdgull

NSC Patron
Dec 7, 2017

Might just be me, but I thought that our best passages of play on Saturday were when March was working alongside Murray rather than behind him. I'd be up for seeing Locadia or Andone in a 4-4-2 until Gross is fit again.

I would love to mark March, kick him artfully a few times and he will disappear.

Your comment brought back memories!

When [MENTION=2095]Commander[/MENTION] was young he and I used to watch County League football and Solly's dad Steve was one of the best players.

But when he came up against Burgess Hill (probably the best team in the league in those days) their centre half Darren Newman used to kick Steve a few times early on the game which pretty well nulified him as a threat for the rest of the game.

He didn't like it up him!

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Essentially, March will start in the games where we need a left winger to protect our left back. Gross will start every game he's fit enough to play and we don't really have a back up option for him unless we're going to unleash Propper further up the pitch (and we've seen no sign of it so far).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here