Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You have a short memory, the reciprocal offer she made today when she addressed the other leaders was put forward by T May last year.
Have you forgotten already that the president of the European Council wrote back in Nov 2016 and said no discussions on this issue until after article 50 has been triggered

The EU has now put forward their offer and it far exceeds that of our government in assuring full rights. It is detailed too. It may be how I read it but the UK offer seems to fall far short.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
The EU has now put forward their offer and it far exceeds that of our government in assuring full rights. It is detailed too. It may be how I read it but the UK offer seems to fall far short.

There is a running theme with Brexiteers - over-promise and under-deliver. Then they wonder why people are getting pissed off and beginning to question whether this whole Brexit thing is a waste of time.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

Is this today? I don't see any comment on it anywhere. Can you say where it's covered?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
So,are you libelling Farage or Mandela?:eek:

I'm making disparaging comments about Farage. Mandela is widely accepted as having been an international treasure. To compare just about anybody to him is an insult to him.

Waits for torrent of accusations of Mandela being a terrorist. ....

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I'm making disparaging comments about Farage. Mandela is widely accepted as having been an international treasure. To compare just about anybody to him is an insult to him.

Waits for torrent of accusations of Mandela being a terrorist. ....

Only people who believe that Apartheid was right would call him a terrorist. You know, racists, who believe that a white minority should rule over the huge black majority. No other explanation other than racism.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The EU offer is what TM suggested right at the outset - keeping the status quo for EU nationals living in the UK and UK nationals living in the EU but was rejected by the EU - no negotiations on that subject until the (financial) terms of our exit were agreed. Just that the EU appear to be stipulating that the ECJ will be the final arbiter, over and above UK courts.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The EU offer is what TM suggested right at the outset - keeping the status quo for EU nationals living in the UK and UK nationals living in the EU but was rejected by the EU - no negotiations on that subject until the (financial) terms of our exit were agreed. Just that the EU appear to be stipulating that the ECJ will be the final arbiter, over and above UK courts.

It's not down to suggestions, but actual offers and acceptance.
The offer that Mrs May made earlier this week falls someway below the EU, its not just about ECJ but the continuing freedom of movement for UK citizens living in the EU and EU citizens living in the UK. If as expected Mrs May withdraws the EU from both the single market and the free movement, then the current UK offer effectively removes the existing EU citizens right to free movement, and could also effectively landlock UK nationals currently living in the EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/22/theresa-may-match-eu-offer-free-movement-britons-europe

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
OK, what TM offered last year (reciprocity) which the EU rejected. Wouldn't even discuss.

Not true.

But, why did she make her derisory offer at the EU summit, where Brexit wasn't being discussed, and not at the Brexit talks themselves? Genuine question.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I thought the stumbling block is that the EU want former EU citizens covered by EU laws? But as we don't want the ECJ to have control over the UK, this won't be possible.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here