Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale OFF ***to Birmingham - Official***

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yep that the club thought they could do better sounds a plausible reason. Going back a few years to that mistake is a bit of a red herring really given the transfer work we've done improving the squad recently like Duffy over Goldson etc

Yes, I agree Hughton does deserve our confidence that he knows what he is doing if it wasn't simply a case of giving Stockdale a better offer. I am worried though because someone else has to bed into the squad. I really would have been quite happy to have been starting the season with Stockdale in goal and Duffy / Dunk in front. That isn't going to be, so we have to hope the position is strengthened and we don't score an own goal before the season has even started.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think also in calculations there must be some decent bonuses for him getting promoted which he obviously cannot get at Brighton for at least 1 season which people will be missing

I don't think they are missing anything in that particular respect.

Clubs give bonuses for STAYING up in the Prem, as well as for GOING up. As a Sunderland fan, you of all people ought to know that?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My feeling is that Stockdale was told he was going to be number 2 goalie, so he walked. Nothing else makes sense.

The more likely scenario is not being told being told you're not the guaranteed no.1, rather than stating you're the no.2 - can't think you would say that without a replacement?

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I don't think they are missing anything in that particular respect.

Clubs give bonuses for STAYING up in the Prem, as well as for GOING up. As a Sunderland fan, you of all people ought to know that?

I didnt think about the staying up bonus - I am short sighted by the fact I think most of our squad thought there was a relegation bonus this year!

Would you not agree with the insurance point at least?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
It does make you wonder why, the best keeper in the championship last season, who was out of contract, wasn't snapped up by another prem club ??

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
It does make you wonder why, the best keeper in the championship last season, who was out of contract, wasn't snapped up by at least another prem club ??

I am surprised Sunderland didnt try to sign him with our Pickford money although we already have a number 1 ready to come back in

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, I agree Hughton does deserve our confidence that he knows what he is doing if it wasn't simply a case of giving Stockdale a better offer. I am worried though because someone else has to bed into the squad. I really would have been quite happy to have been starting the season with Stockdale in goal and Duffy / Dunk in front. That isn't going to be, so we have to hope the position is strengthened and we don't score an own goal before the season has even started.

Am I being naive in thinking that there is no fecking way the club would have let Stockdale leave if they weren't very certain of replacing him, with someone at least as good, in Hughton's opinion

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
This is the widely reported reason for the contract problems, is it not? Have we suddenly heard something different?

I guess this is going to be the same hard work as talking about one of his goalkeeping errors on here

Not Really, you dont know what was offered. I find it a strange move. Shows little to no ambition but You cant say the club didnt want him if they offered him a contract no matter the lengh.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
but we did want to keep him. He was offered a contract but presumably a shorter contract than he was hoping for (Brum have given him 3 years) and with kicker that he's no longer the guaranteed #1.

Virgo just tweeted and confirmed the #1 GK issue (but deleted it) and said it was "from the horses mouth" - presumably DS himself.

If we was that bothered we would of offered the 3 years.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I'm with you hence why the club didn't give in to his demands.

We move on having wished him well.

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

He was getting too big for his boots egged on on by people who love him because he retweets their stuff and talks about he loves the fans so much, he's already started it with Birmingham

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Seems a strange move to me - can't really see the sense of it from Stockdale's point of view. Anyway, he's gone now, book shut as far as I'm concerned - not interested any more.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
May be his agent was just pushing too hard. So we started looking elsewhere. Then Chelsea pulled out, we found the Aussie, and it was all too late. Brum came up with and offer, with no one else interested. Maybe...

Nope. That was never real, as I've stated (on this thread) three or four times.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
He's 32 this year, got a 3 year contract, so will have security for the rest of his career, although keepers do play at an older age than outfield players. If, we only offered one year, as has been posted by several on Nsc, I can understand his decision.

You're welcome.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I can imagine the discussions that 'Arry has had with the clueless Chinese owners.

'A; So what kind of budgit are we talkin?
CCO: Thirty three million pounds is the limit for losses. So with income we can spend fifty three million total.
'A; Fifty free million? Triffic. Get me Pini Zahavi on the blower.
CCO; that's for three years remember, Harry.
'A; Sorry mate, I'm on the blower. Pini! Long time no speak mate. I've got fifty million quid to spend. What av you got for me?

Mad to think, despite the Premier League and all its riches, there are clubs in division below us that could outspend us easily

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Birmingham are being linked with John Terry today.

Maybe they are doing a Championship "really going for it" this season...

Above obviously in same mould as when Villa "went for it" last season and are now skint for two years, still they were agonisingly close to going up!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Because maybe just maybe, other clubs wouldn't consider him the best. Sigh

But looking at his stats he was the best in the championship ! Clean sheets, penalty saves etc.

Would Burnley have let Heaton go when they got promoted season before last ? Ok he wasn't out of contract, but I'm sure a host of prem league teams would have fought over him ?

Why didn't they over Stockdale ? Why didn't we give him what he wanted ?

Something doesn't add up to me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here