Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Premier League. A negative twinge.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
As Brighton supporters, we have such a rich heritage that I'm approaching this season at least as another chapter in our vibrant history. Who knows where we go from here?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
**Miserable git alert**

So as we prepare for a big game on Sunday we will be scrapping for 3 points to help get us to the promised land of 17th place at the end of the season. If we manage to get there, after patting ourselves on the back, we will then start looking out for next seasons fixtures so we can start scrapping for survival points all over again.

Repeat this until we get finally relegated.

Fun? I'm not sure.

"Life's a bitch and then you die".

There is a large amount of truth in what you say, even though you have put it in a negative light. A more positive approach might be: spend a few years getting established, then move to the next level by maybe winning a Cup or qualifying for Europe (which of course we've never done before). Then the future 'good' seasons will be those when we win a trophy or have a good run in Europe.

This will involve a change of mindset though, i.e we'll have to take the additional competitions seriously. Given I'm one of the very few who think that Cup games are just as important as League games I fear this will never happen - and even the clubs that qualify for Europe see it as a unnecessary imposition that interferes with the League programme

So yeah, I think unless attitudes change your view pretty much reflects what will eventually happen. Then a new group of fans can celebrate another promotion to the top flight - although I hope that, unlike me, they don't have to wait nearly 40 years for it.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
You're right.

That feeling when the final whistle blew v Wigan, the beers afterwards and the Derby equaliser will NEVER be matched in the Premier League. I cried a little bit. Don't think I will ever again.

God that's depressing.

Yep, whilst I'm determined to enjoy this and every season we have in the PL I became quite sad at the end of last season (which is ridiculous) in that I suddenly realised that last season is as good as it will ever realistically get unless we do a Leicester. Even if we get promoted again in the future, nothing will ever beat the mixture of joy and relief that we had last season. But there we go, just enjoy the fun and games of the PL and see where it takes us.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
This is our opportunity to see some of the greatest footballers that will ever play for our club up close. I personally feel a bit jealous of older fans who got to see the likes of Ward, Lawrenson, Ritchie etc... when I had years of Tiltman, Crumplin (sorry FG) and Geddes...... In 20 years time you can be telling youngsters that you got to see the great Izquierdo, Knockaert, March and even the man that captained England to World Cup victory, Lewis Dunk!

Enjoy the time now, it can slip away quickly. I am sure Villa, Leeds, Forest, Massive, etc... fans would give anything to swap places with us at the moment.

We have the potential to emulate what Southampton have done, improve the team season on season and then make European competitions, from there who knows.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I said quite a few times, we'd enjoy the journey more than the destination. League attendances dropped at the Goldstone by 1983 because fans want to watch a winning team, not a team just coping.
Indeed. In fact interest fell away pretty much as soon as we'd got promoted in 1979 and, for some inexplicable reason, were finding it much harder to beat 1st division teams. Our first win (against Bolton) was watched by what at the time was called a 'disappointing' crowd of about 20,000 - way down on what the crowds had been to watch a successful 2nd division team. At away games it was a case of 'spot the Brighton fan'.

I'm just going to try and enjoy it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
**Miserable git alert**

So as we prepare for a big game on Sunday we will be scrapping for 3 points to help get us to the promised land of 17th place at the end of the season. If we manage to get there, after patting ourselves on the back, we will then start looking out for next seasons fixtures so we can start scrapping for survival points all over again.

Repeat this until we get finally relegated.

Fun? I'm not sure.

What were you expecting!?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
As I've said all along, I'd rather watch the Albion beat Leyton Orient 1-0 than watch the Albion lose to Man City 2-0, even though we did quite well. BUT it is new and exciting and I will 'enjoy the ride'.

So you would rather watch the Albion play in the National league than the Premier League? :shrug:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
A term I used at the end of last season (to someone who was about to call it a night after we'd beaten Wigan to secure promotion) was "peak Albion". That really may well have been it - it never gets any better. (He stayed out for more beer)

So, yes, I agree with what you're saying. You look at the solid mid-table sides, say West Brom, and where does the excitement come from? They don't even seem to have a go in a Cup.
Can you afford the "distraction" of the cup with it's increased fatigue and chance of injury as a team battling it out to reach 40 points? Cup winners come from teams whose 12-25 and youth are the strongest with a bit of luck thrown in.

The magic of the cup is dead.....chasing Sky's £££ killed it.

:(

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Looking at the bigger picture. If we hadn't gone up then we'd have lost some of our best players (had to sell for FFP and/ or would have gone to a PL club anyway) and had to rebuild the team. Plus Tony would have had to keep pumping £25m+ into the club every season just to compete. The Championship get harder and less predictable every year, especially for those clubs without parachute payments. It would have been a bit of a nightmare actually.

Going up last season was an absolute godsend and if we do go down then we will be in a FAR stronger position to push for promotion again than had we not been in the PL at all. This season might be a grind at times but in the long run it will be worth it.

Absolutely this we are on to the next stage, premier establishment.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Agree 100%, which is why I'm not getting my knickers in a twist when we lose or haven't signed a striker. Enjoy the ride for what it is, enjoy being on MOTD and the big games. If we go down, hey ho, the Championship is a pretty great league with better cities to visit than the Prem anyway! Best of both worlds.

For what it's worth, I'm really enjoying the novelty of this year.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A term I used at the end of last season (to someone who was about to call it a night after we'd beaten Wigan to secure promotion) was "peak Albion". That really may well have been it - it never gets any better. (He stayed out for more beer)

So, yes, I agree with what you're saying. You look at the solid mid-table sides, say West Brom, and where does the excitement come from? They don't even seem to have a go in a Cup.

Just to follow up on this, as I’ve been thinking about it today, is that I am certainly enjoying our Premier League adventure. In fact, in some regards, it stills doesn’t feel real.

I still think last season will take some beating. In fact the last two seasons. But there’s still a whole lot of fun to be had even if doesn’t get any better.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Coventry hung on in the top division for grim death for years, now they probably wish they still had that grim death

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

A club has to get to Stains level IMO before there's regular good news on the pitch. Other than the shockingly dull and scoreless football under Puel, over the last 5 and a bit seasons, they've had masses of home wins, scored a lot of goals, beats giants quite a few times and rarely had long losing runs.

The rest, even including WBA, Stoke and Plucky have had very long winless and low scoring runs, and the fans of WBA and Stoke have whinged with the best. As for the level of West Ham, other the freak Payet season, their fans are forever miserable about life in the PL (going by KUMB and phone ins).

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Indeed. In fact interest fell away pretty much as soon as we'd got promoted in 1979 and, for some inexplicable reason, were finding it much harder to beat 1st division teams. Our first win (against Bolton) was watched by what at the time was called a 'disappointing' crowd of about 20,000 - way down on what the crowds had been to watch a successful 2nd division team. At away games it was a case of 'spot the Brighton fan'.

I'm just going to try and enjoy it.

Very quickly. Crowds down the best part of 10,000 in no time at all, witnessing regular home defeats by teams with far better players.

Just shows, even 40 years ago, that fans preferred winning home football over everything else. Reflected glory, or simply that happy feeling at 5 o'clock on a Saturday after your team's won a league game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As I've said all along, I'd rather watch the Albion beat Leyton Orient 1-0 than watch the Albion lose to Man City 2-0, even though we did quite well. BUT it is new and exciting and I will 'enjoy the ride'.

Having been there for our last stay at the top level I feel that the journey is better than the destination. I loved watching Ward and Mellor and that fantastic team that got us promoted, just like I did watching the current team over the last two seasons. I don't much enjoy watching us play at the moment but of course I'll stick with it and hope we can survive. The entertainment will only come from a smash and grab against a top team where we are on the ropes but sneak a lucky win. Controlling games and looking like a really good team is not going to happen much this season I fear.

It's what we all wanted and I'll try and enjoy it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here