Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fat children - what should partents do?

D

Deleted member 2719

I would stop any benefits going to the parents if their kid was overweight and if they were not claiming benefits of any sort tax them hard from their wages.

You could call it LAP Tax, Lazy ass parents tax.

Also if the kid becomes obese while under the age of 18 then a public stoning of the parents should take place.

No pain no gain.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This intrigued me so I looked:-

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/ca...yogurt-with-strawberry-fruit-corner-427829485

Calories 114
Sodium 100 mg
Total Fat 4 g
Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 2 g
Total Carbs 15 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Monounsaturated 0 g
Sugars 15 g
Trans 0 g
Protein 4 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Vitamin A 0% Calcium 25%
Vitamin C 0%
Iron 0%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

I am talking about the 90s, when I stopped eating them. As I said, the calories have probably been reduced due to pressure from the Health bods.

Edit to add, How can a Fruit Corner not contain any Vitamin C?

biddles911

May 12, 2014
We have two boys and if they were allowed they would eat sugar and fat containing food at every opportunity. We are very careful to expose them to as much healthy food as possible as early in life as possible. They love some veg but hate others so it's not alway easy but it's all about balanced diets. Treats are available occasionally after a main meals but only then unless it's a special occasion. Your body can process sugar better after a main meal.

Exercise is also key. My boys, 3 and 6 walk for miles at a time with us and the dog. Also get them out on their bikes, trampoline, playing football, badminton and tennis when ever possible. We do not have computer games although they do have a kindle each that they get to play when the weather is crappie or on long car journeys.

When ever they go on play dates or kids come here it becomes aparent that not all parents are like this. My boy came back from the his pals a few weeks ago as high as a kite on slushpuppies, popping candy and bubble gum. I have seen kids being sent to school with bottles of energy sports drinks as young as 6. It's mental how uneducated some folk are about what is and isn't good for you.

I think educating the parents and the kids is key to changing this. Refined sugar is an evil addictive drug and It should go the way of tobacco in my opinion.

Wait till they're older! We went through exactly the same loop with our daughter who had a very healthy diet when she was young but, once into her teenage years, succumbed to peer pressure, poor choices at school and advertising to start eating wall-to-wall rubbish which she continues to do even at the age of 19, despite our efforts to supply high quality food.

Unfortunately it's just not perceived as cool to eat healthily and exercise! My personal recipe would be to completely ban all adverts for unhealthy foods (and we all know what they are, however much the food industry protests), tax the hell out of them too, and try a lot harder to promote a healthy lifestyle to kids with some good role models.

Kids really don't listen to parents at all these days (usually) and a campaign fronted by the likes of Nikki Minaj, say, would have far more impact than our well-meaning Olympians.

Bizarre in a way. Feeling fit and healthy is a great experience. Maybe parents forget that feeling too? Not sure many kids ever feel that way these days.......!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I would stop any benefits going to the parents if their kid was overweight and if they were not claiming benefits of any sort tax them hard from their wages.

You could call it LAP Tax, Lazy ass parents tax.

Also if the kid becomes obese while under the age of 18 then a public stoning of the parents should take place.

No pain no gain.

This seems a little harsh, even for you. :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am talking about the 90s, when I stopped eating them. As I said, the calories have probably been reduced due to pressure from the Health bods.

Strange how that doesn't come across when writing:-

"A Fruit Corner is 400 calories"
"No, it's 400. It's been measured".
"It may have been reduced in the last couple of years"

D

Deleted member 2719

This seems a little harsh, even for you. :lolol:

Would it work though???

There is a lot to say for zero tolerance.

There is a lad at my sons school who had 10 milk teeth removed when he was about 7, he isn't fat because he does lots of sport.

But his mother said i felt so guilty that he had to have those teeth out. Within weeks toothless kid is chomping on bags of sweets on his gums and drinking fizzy drinks.

Poor kid probably already has an sugar addiction and there is only the parents to blame.

These parents would have to have the electric chair and perhaps the dentist could flick the switch as they have not learn't anything from their bad parenting, these parents are not young, they are just selfish and weak.

Is that fair Boldy.:smile:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok It was 400, not is. :lol:

It does rather highlight the problem when there's this level of ignorance being passed off as fact, about just 1 product.

Parents only have a punchers chance.

- There's no standardisation of packaging.
- The dietary wording is ambiguous at best.
- Education is running away from a holistic approach, as fast is it can. (ironically faster than the kids)
- Forget about commonsense.

Was it last year Costa were found to be selling CappaFrappaNoddyTwataChinos containing 25 sugars.
All that before we get to a more sedentary lifestyle and fast food.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We try and feed our daughter a balanced and varied diet, and educate her on good and bad foods... She only has to look at my minor Buddha belly to see bread, butter, mayo and cheese is not the correct diet, eating together helps as a family when we can rather than in front of the tv or ipad. We are also lucky in the fact she does not like fizzy drinks with bubbles (that will change I am sure) and she has never been into a Burger King or MacDonald's... She is an active child though, swims every saturday morning walks most places and cycles when she can. Getting out and about is the key, rather than letting your kids rot in their bedrooms watching or playing on systems while parents sit in the garden drinking beer and eating pizza.

You only have to look at the parents at drop off sometimes, a few weeks ago a over weight woman in a mobile scooter dropped her kid off at the gates, he was eating greggs sausage roll while she was smoking and drinking coke.... Say no more there is ya problem...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
This intrigued me so I looked:-

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/ca...yogurt-with-strawberry-fruit-corner-427829485

Calories 114
Sodium 100 mg
Total Fat 4 g
Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 2 g
Total Carbs 15 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Monounsaturated 0 g
Sugars 15 g
Trans 0 g
Protein 4 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Vitamin A 0% Calcium 25%
Vitamin C 0%
Iron 0%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Edit to add, How can a Fruit Corner not contain any Vitamin C?

Worth noting the above is for a 100g serving! Who only eats 3/5ths of a fruit corner?!

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm a firm believer that this country needs a sugar tax.

And I think there needs to be a ban on having offers on sugar foods/drinks. E.g. when 2l bottles of coke are 2 for £2. The same method they use in Scotland with alcohol I believe. No offers/deals etc.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
In fairness it is possible to cook using natural ingredients, create a healthy meal and then watch total bollocks on the telly. I do this most evenings

Amen. I get home from work about 630. Rustle up fresh food in the kitchen for between 20-60 minutes, eating by 730 latest, in front of the telly by 8. In fact the calories I consume cooking, and then clearing away actually make for a pleasant wind down from the shite that is work.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Fast fo od and both parents working might have something to do with it. When I was a lad my mum use to cook from scratch so everything was fresh and not processed. The other big thing was you used to have to make your own entertainment, mobile phones, laptops, sky etc etc were not an issue so us kids were always outside playing footy,cricket or riding our bikes. These days they are glued to there phones or Nintendo

But again that's a parental choice. Both my Mrs Narly and I work, so to ensure my son eats a homemade meal each day she bulk cooks, and then freezes the dinners ready for the microwave when he comes home from school. Not only is it convenient, it's a damn sight cheaper. Ok so it involves a bit of planning, but we work together to make that happen.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You only have to look at the parents at drop off sometimes, a few weeks ago a over weight woman in a mobile scooter dropped her kid off at the gates, he was eating greggs sausage roll while she was smoking and drinking coke.... Say no more there is ya problem...

£10 says it was Diet Coke

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Younger kids don't tend to buy crisps, sweets, biscuits and fizzy pop themselves. And if that means you have to stop having unhealthy stuff in the kitchen cupboards, then that's a sacrifice worth making IMO.

Good point. Nobody is born obese so it's all down to that input/output equation, However, we have allowed the marketing people to just saturate food shop shelves with processed and sugary crap. Every little Co-Op Tesco express, Sainsbury's local etc etc are ALWAYS well stocked with Dorito's ,Crisps, Pringles, chocolate, Pizzas and gallons of Coke and lemonade and they never run out do they ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here