Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Managed 7 miles last night, 5 at my steady marathon pace. On a coaching course this weekend where I have been promised lots of physical practical work. I hope so because there is no chance of a pure run until Monday at the latest.

I'm finding it slightly harder to get out myself at the moment anyway. Have to focus on the twin goals of 1000 miles for the year and attempting to keep up with [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] at Phoenix.

Also having trouble to get out at the moment. Too cold and windy for me today. Dropping to 4 miles running a week for last month. However, have no fears of [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] at the Phoenix as could probably stop running till July 13th and still win that one. Unless he means drinking..........

I'm already changing the targets from sub 43 and beating [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] to new targets of between 43 and 44 and losing to [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]. 6 weeks to go though still time to get going again.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Managed 7 miles last night, 5 at my steady marathon pace. On a coaching course this weekend where I have been promised lots of physical practical work. I hope so because there is no chance of a pure run until Monday at the latest.

I'm finding it slightly harder to get out myself at the moment anyway. Have to focus on the twin goals of 1000 miles for the year and attempting to keep up with [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] at Phoenix.

I don't think it's just you (and me) – it's very quiet on here, which might be an indication that others aren't really feeling the running vibe at the moment. It's horrible – I've only just managed to give myself the kick up the proverbial that I needed after a very quiet running month in May.

Back out this morning for a quick 5k. First time I've done two midweek runs in the same week since about March I think! https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1195945784

Enter a marathon, then you'll train for it :-D

This. Beachy now has my focus – well, that and getting 5k and 10k times down. Not gonna be at Phoenix though – double booked with a mate's birthday celebrations... (of ALL the evenings!).

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I think running post marathon is always tough, runs don't feel easy and are a bit anti-climatic.

For me entering the Worthing 10k has given me an aim and kept me motivated.

3 consecutive Park Runs for the first time, have seen me reduce my times by 30 seconds but still a fair distance from a PB.

In two minds tomorrow. Weather is perfect for the Prom tomorrow but my priority is Worthing. Would volunteer but the Run Squad have that covered, may go down and have a watch.

8:26 train out from Hove on Sunday I'm sure I'll see a few of you on there. Weather is looking hot around 18 degrees at the start.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I don't think it's just you (and me) – it's very quiet on here, which might be an indication that others aren't really feeling the running vibe at the moment. It's horrible – I've only just managed to give myself the kick up the proverbial that I needed after a very quiet running month in May.

Back out this morning for a quick 5k. First time I've done two midweek runs in the same week since about March I think! https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1195945784

This. Beachy now has my focus – well, that and getting 5k and 10k times down. Not gonna be at Phoenix though – double booked with a mate's birthday celebrations... (of ALL the evenings!).

Agree with your observation about a certain collective 'flatness'. As Knocky says the weather doesn't help. Also suspect that many are carrying injuries and niggles - partly (as in my case) overdoing it in the Spring. Will almost certainly be sitting out the Worthing 10k but will be interested to hear how others get on..................esp if any b******d gets near to my AGR!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
With that incredible football season behind me, I'm able to focus on real life again. I did Juneathon (run every day for a month) last year so, decided to go a bit further and do 80 days of no excuses "get out every day". 80 days was chosen as, when I was thinking about this year's Juneathon, I noticed it was 80 days until we're off on holiday in August.

I knew I'd not make 80 days running, so I thought I'd aim for approximately 5 days of running per week and 2 days out on my mountain bike. The latter could be done at low intensity and feel like a bit of a 'rest' relative to the running.

It was last Friday evening, not even a week in, when after a gentle run my left foot felt a little bit sore. When I woke up on Saturday morning it was so sore I could barely put any weight on the heel. Plantir Fasciitis? I didn't think it was. I suffered with that last year on my right foot. Regardless I've been ice bottle rolling ever since.

So, for a week I've been on my bike every day, mainly on the trails up and around Cissbury and Chanctonbury and it's been great fun. We got home too late last night for me to take the bike out and, after a longish day on my feet at Paulton's Park, my foot wasn't feeling too bad so I risked a short 3.8m run at 10:30 last night. My foot feels OK this morning. Not perfect - there is still some pain there, but I've not completely stuffed it up again.

I'll stick to more rides than runs for a while, but see if I can continue to reintroduce running and not suffer any ill effects. As much as I love riding I'd probably choose running if I had to opt for only one.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Agree with your observation about a certain collective 'flatness'. Will almost certainly be sitting out the Worthing 10k but will be interested to hear how others get on..................esp if any b******d gets near to my AGR!

I believe [MENTION=26481]downham seagull[/MENTION] is coming down. You better trip him up............

My lethargy is due to being able to run a fast 5k 2 weeks after the marathon. This is a great feeling but then the time goes south without training/running in the week. The paradox is the training in the week makes you tired for the Parkrun and your time is still off course.
The answer for me is to follow a 6 week plan for the Phoenix and then go for bust on a 5k in July and another in August. Thing is this was a 10 week plan and has ended up as 6 week. Must ensure it doesn't become a 5 week plan or less.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Also suffered a bit of a post marathon dip- inevitable but a break is probably a good thing both mentally and physically.

I'll be volunteering tomorrow at Hove Prom - finish tokens I believe- then looking forward to Worthing on Sunday. Not sure whether to trust Southern to run a service on Sunday morning so may end up driving over. Went by train last year, taking my bike and cycled back which was a good way to do it.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
With that incredible football season behind me, I'm able to focus on real life again. I did Juneathon (run every day for a month) last year so, decided to go a bit further and do 80 days of no excuses "get out every day". 80 days was chosen as, when I was thinking about this year's Juneathon, I noticed it was 80 days until we're off on holiday in August.

I knew I'd not make 80 days running, so I thought I'd aim for approximately 5 days of running per week and 2 days out on my mountain bike. The latter could be done at low intensity and feel like a bit of a 'rest' relative to the running.

It was last Friday evening, not even a week in, when after a gentle run my left foot felt a little bit sore. When I woke up on Saturday morning it was so sore I could barely put any weight on the heel. Plantir Fasciitis? I didn't think it was. I suffered with that last year on my right foot. Regardless I've been ice bottle rolling ever since.

So, for a week I've been on my bike every day, mainly on the trails up and around Cissbury and Chanctonbury and it's been great fun. We got home too late last night for me to take the bike out and, after a longish day on my feet at Paulton's Park, my foot wasn't feeling too bad so I risked a short 3.8m run at 10:30 last night. My foot feels OK this morning. Not perfect - there is still some pain there, but I've not completely stuffed it up again.

I'll stick to more rides than runs for a while, but see if I can continue to reintroduce running and not suffer any ill effects. As much as I love riding I'd probably choose running if I had to opt for only one.

I'm nearly in the same boat with the foot issue. My 'hill' (running or cycling) tends to be Salvington as I'm not a great off-road runner (or cyclist). Talk of Cissbury and Chanctonbury reminded me of my first ever half marathon in (wait for it) 1989. I turned up in a pair of tennis shoes, having never trained off-road or on a hill. I had no idea of distance or pacing and put in a 'finishing burst' after around 8 miles. Somehow I managed 1:44 and despite not being able to walk downstairs for about 5 days afterwards was hooked. I still wince at the memory.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
I'm still crocked and being re assessed next week so I don't have a choice but have to admit I've not got the desire right now. Definitely a bit flat after BM. I have my usual summer 10k's to get through and will sign up for something longer once I know everything is working again. I have managed to catch up on my alcohol unit intake which was way behind schedule after all that healthy pre marathon living. Thanks for the advice to see Jesus but he's not around now till the end of June. I can recommend Tom at The Physio Rooms in Falmer if anyone has the need.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Anyone venturing out to Worthing for their 10k on Sunday? I'm not feeling in any form whatsoever at the moment, so I'm hoping getting back out there on a raceday will kick me back into gear.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm still crocked and being re assessed next week so I don't have a choice but have to admit I've not got the desire right now. Definitely a bit flat after BM. I have my usual summer 10k's to get through and will sign up for something longer once I know everything is working again. I have managed to catch up on my alcohol unit intake which was way behind schedule after all that healthy pre marathon living. Thanks for the advice to see Jesus but he's not around now till the end of June. I can recommend Tom at The Physio Rooms in Falmer if anyone has the need.

Sorry to hear your still f*****. I've heard about Tom Goom. He does interesting podcasts, blogs and YouTube videos. How much is a session? I may need a substitute in the future now Jesus has become a Dad and values life outside his bunker.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Sorry to hear your still f*****. I've heard about Tom Goom. He does interesting podcasts, blogs and YouTube videos. How much is a session? I may need a substitute in the future now Jesus has become a Dad and values life outside his bunker.

He's £40 a session. A runner himself and really passionate about his business. A nice guy, seems to be a real authority on running injuries and treatment.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Ran an unplanned for parkrun today - managed about 19:43 despite having run 7 miles yesterday and usually being a bit rubbish running two days on the trot.

Quite pleased to go sub-20 minutes if I'm honest.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Decided against Park Run today, even though as expected conditions were PB heaven.

Glad I did as my slow 2 mile loosener was pretty painful. My left hamstring has been tight for sometime but it felt particularly bad today.

Have ice packed round it now, so still hopeful for a decent time tomorrow. Any other tips for hamstrings?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Decided against Park Run today, even though as expected conditions were PB heaven.

Glad I did as my slow 2 mile loosener was pretty painful. My left hamstring has been tight for sometime but it felt particularly bad today.

Have ice packed round it now, so still hopeful for a decent time tomorrow. Any other tips for hamstrings?

Put one leg at a time flat on a dining table using standing leg only for balancing. Lean forward from stomach and get head as near to knee and foot as possible. Any pain stop immediately. Do both legs. Do not do after icing as needs to be warm. Good luck

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Last 3 Parkruns. 20:30, 21:30 and today 21:50. An alarming downhill pattern. THIS is going to get me back out running.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Slowly getting back into my stride. 6 miles this morning in lovely conditions including a couple of hills. Starting to enjoy that feeling you get once finished.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
How often should you replace running shoes? Had some Asics for two years now and they're a little worn but not broken. Should I get a new pair?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here