Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BT Sport grab 2017-18 Ashes TV rights from rivals Sky Sports

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Makes a bit of a mockery of the Sky Sports Ashes channel then. Unless they intend to aggressively bid for the next home series which is forever away anyway.

Personally I've never understood why the Ashes aren't protected as one of our sporting jewels that needs to remain on terrestrial TV like the Olympics and the World Cup

The 'crown jewels' have been whittled away over the years. Why have protectionism when market forces are so in vogue?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sky have pretty much been left with nothing, if it wasn't for the Spanish football I wouldn't bother with Sky anymore, I'm really considering cancelling the subscription anyway., the prices keep increasing yet the product is decreasing.

This is the way I see it. When BT won their initial footballing rights, everyone said "This is good for competition". NO IT'S NOT. YOU NOW HAVE TO PAY TWO SUPPLIERS!. Sky didn't reduce their prices when they lost European football. they increased them! Presumably more competitors will enter the market place soon.

I have knocked Sky Sports and Movies on the head.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Makes a bit of a mockery of the Sky Sports Ashes channel then. Unless they intend to aggressively bid for the next home series which is forever away anyway.

Personally I've never understood why the Ashes aren't protected as one of our sporting jewels that needs to remain on terrestrial TV like the Olympics and the World Cup

The 2020 Olympics are now owned by BSKyB

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Sky are seriously ****ed - eventually they're going to be left with golf and championship football. Which will annoy me as I love the golf...

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Pretty clear that sky overpaid for the premier league rights and having to tighten their belt accordingly. If I were a cricket fan would be a bit peed in having to fork out for sky and BT to watch the sport. Expect the homes ashes to go for silly money when they are next up for auction.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
TMS is of course the correct answer. Yes Sky have some decent presenters,but they don't have Vaughan,Tufnell,McGrath,Blower,s,Boycott or Agger,s. TMS is priceless.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Now TV Sports is now £10 or £31 per month, why would anyone bother with a Sky contract anymore? Just pick and choose...

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Now TV Sports is now £10 or £31 per month, why would anyone bother with a Sky contract anymore? Just pick and choose...
I use now tv but it's inferior in every way as one cannot record, pause or rewind anything. There are also no subtitles available which is pretty poor.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I use now tv but it's inferior in every way as one cannot record, pause or rewind anything. There are also no subtitles available which is pretty poor.

True, but most people just want to watch sport live anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here