Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Doctor who time of the doctor

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It was rather difficult to follow up the 50th anniversary special anyway.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It was all a bit average. I really didn't like the messing around with the regeneration. They messed that up. Could have been a corker with it being the crimbo special AND a regeneration. Instead it was a baffling mess of 2 or 3 minutes of his enemies apiece and then a strange, stop/start regeneration which ruined it's impact.

I'm not the biggest fan of Dr Who and if I miss an episode I hardly ever bother to catch up but I usually enjoy it when I do watch it, especially the Xmas specials but considering this is the last we'll see of it til Autumn they really missed a trick.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
So am I right in thinking that the Doctor can now regenerate several more times because there are no longer any set rules on the number of regenerations a Timelord can have ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So am I right in thinking that the Doctor can now regenerate several more times because there are no longer any set rules on the number of regenerations a Timelord can have ?

Probably.

There was some sort of gift from the people of Gallifrey through the crack allowing the Doctor to regenerate. When Clara saw him in the Tardis as he regenerated he mentioned something about starting a new cycle, which some have apparently taken as meaning he has 12 more regenerations, and it will be someone else's problem to deal with when they run out.

I took it more as a (poor) excuse for him returning to his younger version just before he regenerates, and that the amount of regeneration had been left open; did the time lords just give him 12 regenerations (i.e. one more time lord life) or was he rewarded with more (i.e. was it like every citizen of Gallifrey donated one of their regeneration, thus he has millions of them)?

But there's also the chance that a future new show runner may want to draw some drama from the doctor possibly dying and as such he may re-write it so that they only gave him one or two more lives (they wouldn't want to give him immortality if they want him to return them to this universe or else he may take his time).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Sooner or later Nibble will get a crack at the job.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Nope. He is a Doctor that happens to have the surname 'Who'. I believe he is human, not a time lord. No one refers to him as 'The Doctor'

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was disappointed, five out of ten at best. I really do hate those episodes where they throw in absolutely everything (what happened to the Angels in the snow?) and the Doctor becomes a sort of god-like figure: quasi-immortal and the saviour of the entire universe.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Nope. He is a Doctor that happens to have the surname 'Who'. I believe he is human, not a time lord. No one refers to him as 'The Doctor'

Are you making this up?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I was disappointed, five out of ten at best. I really do hate those episodes where they throw in absolutely everything (what happened to the Angels in the snow?) and the Doctor becomes a sort of god-like figure: quasi-immortal and the saviour of the entire universe.

I might re-watch, but while sober, it did seem an incredible mish mash of a plot. The regeneration was not very exciting either, as I recall the Tennant/Smith regenerations were handled a bit better.

However, each one does seem different with the Doctor either being very vulnerable / confused/ naked etc from a regeneration. This one was a little blur of orange on his limbs and thats it. Boring.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Well I liked it. Not 10/10 by any means, but it was good. Mainly though I was happy because at least it finally answered a lot of questions. Who really were the silence, and where did they come from over the last few series? What was in the Doctor's room in the hotel? (Ok, bit of an ubergeek point that one). Who really is behind the crack?

I'm guessing Alex Kingston couldn't be tempted to join the crew though, as I'm sure Moffat would have included her if he could?

I'm looking forward to Capaldi though - I think he'll be good. I also reckon Jenna Coleman will come into her own now that she won't be in Karen Gillan's shadow. Shame though that we have to wait another 9 months to find out...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Well bugger all happened for 40 mins which was a disappointment. The regeneration appeared rushed. I did not like the way capaldi "popped up" doing his best tom baker eyes impression and he was far too manic. A "new teeth/barcelona" entrance like tennamts after eccleston would have been better. Matt deserved so so much better as a send off. My fave dr without a doubt.

Tennant had the best send off. Not so much the episodes as they were largely cack but his semd off visiting old companions amd his " I dont want to go"

Moffat thinks he is so clever but he never amswered the " whats the point of a duck pond if there isnt any ducks" from the very first matt smith episode 11th hr.

The most worrying thing for me atm is the peter capaldi doctor becoming claras companion. Lile the first series of dr who was rose tyler time traveller.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Sooner or later Nibble will get a crack at the job.

I wouldn't mind. In fact I turned down a part in the next series because I am filming 3rd Season of Vikings at the time of filming, I would have been able to do the first half of production but I got a part in Macbeth with Michael Fassbender which put pay to that, I thought I might be able to swing it somehow but I had a part in Sherlock and BBC don't like the same faces on flagship shows so I couldn't do both. Thanks for thinking of me though mate. :thumbsup:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Ah! I never knew that. Used to love these ones. Always on during the school hols. Wasn't Cribbins in some of these?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I wouldn't mind. In fact I turned down a part in the next series because I am filming 3rd Season of Vikings at the time of filming, I would have been able to do the first half of production but I got a part in Macbeth with Michael Fassbender which put pay to that, I thought I might be able to swing it somehow but I had a part in Sherlock and BBC don't like the same faces on flagship shows so I couldn't do both. Thanks for thinking of me though mate. :thumbsup:

Apart from James Nesbitt... thank god he has disappeared for a bit, he's been a doctor, a copper, submariner and a ubiquitous pain in the arse for years..... if is isn't ON screen then you couldn't get away from his voiceovers and ads. pah !

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I thought it was OK, at least dialogue-wise but the business with using the regeneration energy (at least I think that's what it was, refreshments had been taken :) ) to destroy the Dalek ship was weak. I've always thought Matt Smith was a good Doctor handicapped by some terrible writing, show-handling and Karen Gillan (not that she was terrible but she just dominated every story she was in).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here