Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Petition to support Trump's visit to the UK

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
As opposed to the USA where more people voted for H. Clinton, yet Trump wins the presidency?
Or the UK where 4.5 million people vote UKIP and they get 1 MP, another 4.5 million vote SNP and they get 56 MP's?

Well this has been done to death.
As you are aware i voted UKIP, i was annoyed that they only got 1 MP when they got more votes than the Libs, Greens, SNP and Plaid put together..... but i have not spent over 6 months banging on about it..........

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The ideal behind the theory believed that if citizens were stakeholders in decisions, it would lead to better societies and higher prosperity and happiness.

So by this logic I don't live in a democracy within the UK as I am about to be made much poorer and like million of others I'm not happy about it at all.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Or else these people decided that signing a misspelled petition to express their feelings was better than signing no petition at all. That mightn't occur to clever-sides guardianistas of course; they just prefer to sneer. Go on sneering, the silent majority will go on doing what's best for this country.

Yep making everyone poorer that really is what is best for the country

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
And "as I am about to be made much poorer".
Has this happened, is this a fact, or just what you think, and is it going to make "everyone poorer".

It's what so many defeatist remainers seem to be willing to happen. Remember their rules; if it's bad it's because of BREXIT, if it's good it's despite BREXIT or BREXIT hasn't happened yet.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Well this has been done to death.
As you are aware i voted UKIP, i was annoyed that they only got 1 MP when they got more votes than the Libs, Greens, SNP and Plaid put together..... but i have not spent over 6 months banging on about it..........

No, and I haven't spent decades banging on about the fact that the Libs have suffered mightily over the years. But they have suffered, far more than UKIP have (which didn't stop me complaining how unfair the system was to UKIP on the Brexit thread).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Richard Nixon: 1969 Visited one month after inauguration; no state visit

Thankfully. They'd have to locked down the Crown Jewels and counted the cutlery after the banquet

As opposed to the USA where more people voted for H. Clinton, yet Trump wins the presidency?
Or the UK where 4.5 million people vote UKIP and they get 1 MP, another 4.5 million vote SNP and they get 56 MP's?

Quite. I like the way that goldstone says that 'India is not a democracy' and doesn't suggest one reason why it isn't. Or how it differs from the US or the UK in having a head of government not elected by a majority

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I am not in favour of banning Trump, but when someone creates an online public petition of this sort (which I support in spirit) it doesn't look great when the bloody thing has a typo in it. In fact it is more than a typo; a and o are nowhere near each other on the keyboard - the originator clearly thinks this is the correct word. If you purport to lecture others, fuelled by your better insight and wisdom, it does not further your cause by writing like a chav.

(I'll stand by, now, for examples of my egregious typos, missing letters especially, in various rants I've posted on here, particularly after the taking of drink :wrong::lolol: .... albeit, I'll admit being a careless typist, and I'll not get all shirty and try to defend it; context and that :whistle: )

Blame it on predictive text, I do

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
No, and I haven't spent decades banging on about the fact that the Libs have suffered mightily over the years. But they have suffered, far more than UKIP have (which didn't stop me complaining how unfair the system was to UKIP on the Brexit thread).

Good for you. At least you don't sound bitter.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
A question,
Do all brexiteers support Trump, and, conversely, do all remainers oppose (appose:D) him?

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Had hoped there would be one. Time to stick two fingers up at the lefties and support the visit from the leader of the world's largest DEMOCRACY.

Petition: Donald Trump should make a State Visit to the United Kingdom.
petition.parliament.uk
Donald Trump should be invited to make an official State Visit because he is the leader of a free world and U.K. is a country that supports free speech and does not believe that people that appose our point of view should be gagged.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/178844

Sign away!

**** of the week

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Or else these people decided that signing a misspelled petition to express their feelings was better than signing no petition at all. That mightn't occur to clever-sides guardianistas of course; they just prefer to sneer. Go on sneering, the silent majority will go on doing what's best for this country.

It's not sneering and I don't read the guardian.

Just if a jobs worth doing. It's worth doing well.

To sign a petition to call for a debate about his visit is a bit futile given the previous petition er calling for a debate about his visit, has been successful in getting a debate granted. There are a number of other errors or differences too including the initial petition not asking to ban him but to make it a diplomatic visit rather than a state visit.

But let's not allow facts (or spelling) to get in the way of a good old rant.

Stop being such a snowflake

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Not everyone thinks so:

INDIA is not a democracy.

By definition democracy is a form of government that is Of The People, By The People and For The People. Theoretically it empowers people. It is governance which takes the people’s views and needs into cognizance. The ideal behind the theory believed that if citizens were stakeholders in decisions, it would lead to better societies and higher prosperity and happiness.

Alas! In India, often called the World’s Largest Democracy (because of the sheer number of people who are listed voters), the actual functioning of the ideal of democracy could not be further away from reality.

What's the source of this?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here