Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No panic signing of a striker

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Agreed. WE NEVER get in the players we need in January.

Apart form Leo Ulloa when we were short of a striker under Gus.

And Beram Kayal, two days after Hughton arrived and saw we were weak in midfield.

Oh, and Anthony Knockaert and Jiri Skalak last January when it looked like a lack of goals was a problem.

Literally, NEVER.
And Matthew Upson. And Steve Sidwell.

We're shit at this January transfer window thing

Sent from my GT-I8262 using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And Matthew Upson. And Steve Sidwell.

We're shit at this January transfer window thing

Indeed. If only we'd EVER, even just ONCE made a decent signing in January, you'd feel it was worth getting your hopes up now. But we LITERALLY never have.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton

And Beram Kayal, two days after Hughton arrived and saw we were weak in midfield.

Oh, and Anthony Knockaert and Jiri Skalak last January when it looked like a lack of goals was a problem.

Literally, NEVER.
Do a 10 year analysis focusing on Strikers only. I'd be fascinated.

Ulloa the exception to the rule.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Do a 10 year analysis focusing on Strikers only. I'd be fascinated.

Ulloa the exception to the rule.

a. Ulloa wasn't signed '10 years' ago. He was signed under the current regime.

b. Why would I do an analysis focusing on strikers only? What's important is to sign what is needed at the time. Two years ago that was a strong midfielder, and we got Kayal. A year ago we were short of goals, signed AK and JS and ended up top scorers in the league. This year, of course, it IS a striker we need. And I'm confident we'll get one.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Over the past few seasons, bringing in a big named striker in January has rarely paid off for the top teams. If often seems to have a disruptive effect (e.g. Boro signing Jordan Rhodes last season, Derby the season before sigining, well, practically every striker in sight).

You are wrong about Middlesbro and Rhodes as he scored the goals that earned them valuable points to get them promoted and they will hope to sell him on even at a slight loss as he has repaid the fee by contributing to earning them the £180m for promotion. I do wonder about a month loan for a young striker from a premier club to get over Tuesday and Saturday with an option to extend it for the remainder of the season if we want. I dont know if that is possible rather than try to shoehorn one of our wide men into a no 10 role.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Literally, NEVER.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'd like to see March playing and interchanging the striker and winger roles with either Skalak or Murphy.

A bad move IMHO either play March and Murphy as 2nd striker but not interchanging with each other for any period of time or possibly play Towell as the No 10 but hopefully SB will be fit to start.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
This, with bells on. IMHO the striker shortage issue should have been sorted out before the window had even opened. This situation should never have happened and it's not hindsight either. Been saying it since the summer. Not good enough by the club.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

I guess they'd better get you in!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
A bad move IMHO either play March and Murphy as 2nd striker but not interchanging with each other for any period of time or possibly play Towell as the No 10 but hopefully SB will be fit to start.

I think March has been played in the middle before and it hasn't worked. One player who could... is Knockeart - though this would obviously need to be a temporary measure.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
This, with bells on. IMHO the striker shortage issue should have been sorted out before the window had even opened. This situation should never have happened and it's not hindsight either. Been saying it since the summer. Not good enough by the club.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Wow. Not good enough by the club eh? I wish there was someone there that knew what they were doing.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Just a hunch, but the club know what failing to get the Murray deal done last January cost us, and I'm confident that the same will not happen again this year.

The club, or TB, have demonstrated in their stance of allowing Dale Stephens to run down his contract that money is not an issue.

I truly believe a premier league ready no10 singing is imminent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here