Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Euro 2016: England and Wales fans given alcohol ban in Lens

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Exactly right , locals do start the trouble a lot of the time but England fans arent whiter than white , i went to my one and only tournament in 2004, and cant see me going to another one , what i dont like (believe it or not) is the extremely boorish behaviour by some of the england fans , harassing and bullying locals , pissing in the street etc these are the sort of blokes who would run a mile if some REAL hooligans turned up who did want to know ,then you have the England fans who can and do want to fight , but its beyond me why blokes in their 30s/40s/50s would travel all that way to have a punch up when you could be spending the day getting pissed in the town square watching the world go by.

That romantic trip to the Amalfi coast has turned you soft :lolol:

I'm done for the week; enjoy the game.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Nope, it is quite possible that they were started on by a bunch of local morons looking for a fight. That said, if I was hedging my bets I'd still hazard a guess that those England fans are likely to have caused it.

But I didn't mention who started it. It really doesn't matter - these people are supposed to be adults.

If you want straight talking, it is that the English subculture of drinking yourself to oblivion is not going to help when dealing with confrontation. With England fans, the chance of trouble ESCALATING is that much higher.

And it's "you're" by the way. Please don't attempt to patronise me if you can't even use the language properly FFS.

yet your childish enough to correct a one little spelling mistake because you were questioned???
if it makes you feel superior mate, you crack on.

http://www.techinsider.io/people-who-correct-typos-may-be-jerks-study-finds-2016-3

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Exactly right , locals do start the trouble a lot of the time but England fans arent whiter than white , i went to my one and only tournament in 2004, and cant see me going to another one , what i dont like (believe it or not) is the extremely boorish behaviour by some of the england fans , harassing and bullying locals , pissing in the street etc these are the sort of blokes who would run a mile if some REAL hooligans turned up who did want to know ,then you have the England fans who can and do want to fight , but its beyond me why blokes in their 30s/40s/50s would travel all that way to have a punch up when you could be spending the day getting pissed in the town square watching the world go by.

British stag parties had a very bad reputation a few years ago here, similar mentality, but it seems to have tailed off.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
British stag parties had a very bad reputation a few years ago here, similar mentality, but it seems to have tailed off.

They are going elsewhere or just behaving better?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
They are going elsewhere or just behaving better?

ive heard that they head to cheaper destinations, but still see quite a few, and generally they seem less boorish.
The problem over the last couple of years has been Danish youth of all people. They have very bad rep.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
They are at it again...various sites reporting fighting with English fans and police...5 live reporters having to leave the area

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
They are at it again...various sites reporting fighting with English fans and police...5 live reporters having to leave the area

Are you a red top journo? Can you show me some evidence of this fighting?

Ever travelled away with England? Thought not.

And as for that 5Live muppet George Riley, don't get me started!

I was caught up in massively overzealous policing by the CRS in Lens in 98. 1 bottle got thrown and all hell broke loose. Completely OTT way of operating which just escalates tension. England fans singing- chuck in tear gas-farcical. Was also in Belgium in 2000 (similar experience to France) but very different policing when in Lisbon in 2004 and Cologne in 2006 with very different results.

Of the few clips I've seen, all normal lads bewildered by the clueless CRS response. And how about some focus on the provocative locals and doubt the Russians are being angels.

Don't fall for all this pathetic massive press hype (leading story on 5Live this morning-speechless)!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Are you a red top journo? Can you show me some evidence of this fighting?

Ever travelled away with England? Thought not.

And as for that 5Live muppet George Riley, don't get me started!

I was caught up in massively overzealous policing by the CRS in Lens in 98. 1 bottle got thrown and all hell broke loose. Completely OTT way of operating which just escalates tension. England fans singing- chuck in tear gas-farcical. Was also in Belgium in 2000 (similar experience to France) but very different policing when in Lisbon in 2004 and Cologne in 2006 with very different results.

Of the few clips I've seen, all normal lads bewildered by the clueless CRS response. And how about some focus on the provocative locals and doubt the Russians are being angels.

Don't fall for all this pathetic massive press hype (leading story on 5Live this morning-speechless)!

They're an embarrassing disgrace no matter how you dress it up as press led propaganda. If anyone has travelled with England before, you know how to avoid these idiots who always seem to manage to find a single Irish bar and just about offend anyone they can. It is never pleasant following England due to being associated with these bellends. Yeah, it's a minority, it's probably not as bad as the press are making out, but they're ****ing morons nevertheless.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They're an embarrassing disgrace no matter how you dress it up as press led propaganda. If anyone has travelled with England before, you know how to avoid these idiots who always seem to manage to find a single Irish bar and just about offend anyone they can. It is never pleasant following England due to being associated with these bellends. Yeah, it's a minority, it's probably not as bad as the press are making out, but they're ****ing morons nevertheless.

Are there actually any Wales fans there at all? Not seen them mentioned in any violence-related news reports. Ditto either of the Ireland teams fans.Maybe they're all just having a fine time and can handle the heat and handle their beers. Unlike the beer-bellied white trash England fans invariably from shit northern towns (as advertised on their flags). Same old, same old.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Are there actually any Wales fans there at all? Not seen them mentioned in any violence-related news reports. Ditto either of the Ireland teams fans.Maybe they're all just having a fine time and can handle the heat and handle their beers. Unlike the beer-bellied white trash England fans invariably from shit northern towns. Same old, same old.

Well, according to some you can't believe photos etc. or reporting, but Welsh fans have allegedly be singing along side French fans sharing flags and having a good old sing song without any trouble whatsoever, enjoying the hospitality of their hosts.

Meanwhile, England's knuckle draggers sing their usual repertoire of IRA, German, French, EU songs enjoying the local culture....in the Irish Pub. The locals provoked them....yeah, poor blokes were just looking for a quiet drink.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The videos from yesterday show French 'fans' attacking English spliced in with English fans being pushed back by Police. You can tell from the clothes. No idea about today but having experienced the Marseille police last time back in the world cup I very much doubt this is as it seems. I can recall siting quietly in a bar having a few drinks with one friend with mostly French women with small children as the rest of the clientele when a stray tear gas canister was fired into the bar. The police there are not nice or very tolerant at all...

Far easier though to blame English fans. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the trouble begins and ends in Marseille, which was a bloody stupid place to put England in the first place...

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Are there actually any Wales fans there at all? Not seen them mentioned in any violence-related news reports. Ditto either of the Ireland teams fans.Maybe they're all just having a fine time and can handle the heat and handle their beers. Unlike the beer-bellied white trash England fans invariably from shit northern towns (as advertised on their flags). Same old, same old.

Just back from a week long sojourn following England. We managed to handle our beer / heat ok, were friendly with everyone despite our beer bellies, and three of us come from a shit southern town. There was plenty of alcohol/pubs open in Lens and the draconian measures/mass violence never materialised . You couldn't have asked for a better atmosphere, but the red tops won't tell you that.

You come across like a jealous sweaty. Same old, same old.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Went to the Wales matching Lens and the Slovakia match in St Ettienne. Didn't see a single bit of trouble just superb football fans enjoying the pre match atmosphere and then the game. Great times.

Off to Nice on Monday.

DavePage

Give the Welsh a break… Sheep wrong time of the month, bad hair day, whatever….could they really leave them with so many hot Derby fans around ((ram ,bam ,,thank you ma’am))

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here