Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Decent point away

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
I said last week that Preston would be extremely tough to break down at Deepdale and am not surprised in the slightest that it ended 0-0 with very few chances. The average number of points that the away side has come away from Deepdale is (including Saturday) is 0.722 so a point is a good and better than average result.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I said last week that Preston would be extremely tough to break down at Deepdale and am not surprised in the slightest that it ended 0-0 with very few chances. The average number of points that the away side has come away from Deepdale is (including Saturday) is 0.722 so a point is a good and better than average result.

Indeed, a win and a loss obviously better, but they've been pretty competitive and by no means easy to defeat at home. They've lost at home to Derby, Ipswich, Brentford and Blackburn, and they drew away at Derby so nobody has showered themselves in glory at Deepdale.

For the statisticians among us; if we finish in the playoffs, what spot is the best place to be in to get through (historically speaking)? I remember all the chat a few years ago about how fourth place had never been promoted... so let's avoid that one :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If we need to win our final game of the season to finish 2nd, and we come away with a draw and go in the playoffs, we'll have people saying it's not an easy place to go and it was a decent point away from home.

For the statisticians among us; if we finish in the playoffs, what spot is the best place to be in to get through (historically speaking)? I remember all the chat a few years ago about how fourth place had never been promoted... so let's avoid that one :)
QPR finished fourth and got promoted two years ago. Finishing 3rd or 4th should mean we avoid the one of the current top 3 that doesn't make it, which is not a bad idea.

ipad1977

Sep 28, 2015
If we need to win our final game of the season to finish 2nd, and we come away with a draw and go in the playoffs, we'll have people saying it's not an easy place to go and it was a decent point away from home.

QPR finished fourth and got promoted two years ago. Finishing 3rd or 4th should mean we avoid the one of the current top 3 that doesn't make it, which is not a bad idea.

Another slight advantage of finishing 3rd or 4th as well as avoiding the other higher placed side in the first two games is that you get to play the all important 'deciding' 2nd leg at home which gives you an admittedly marginal advantage of reaching the Playoff final (which is more of a lottery than the semis)

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

lol, very true I'm sure. The reality is that if we miss out by a point or two there are plenty of opportunities we've missed. But the same is true of the competition, they've all dropped points were they really should have won. In my opinion I think that on the whole we are over achieving, with the talent we've had available to play at least.

I can't see us getting the points we need over the next ten games, we'd need a run like the first ten games. Clearly possible but I think we'd need a lot of luck. If someone offered me a make or break game against Boro for autos, I think I'd take that, despite how tough that match will be.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In my opinion I think that on the whole we are over achieving, with the talent we've had available to play at least.
I'm not so sure, I think we've got a really good squad, particularly since improving in the window. The injuries before xmas did us in though.

I can't see us getting the points we need over the next ten games
Likewise.
If someone offered me a make or break game against Boro for autos, I think I'd take that, despite how tough that match will be.
Yeah I'd go for that. Particularly if 'boro were already champions and we needed to win to get 2nd :)

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
My immediate concern then will be avoiding one of Hull, Middlesborough or Burnley in the playoffs, meaning we need to finish forth, no way on earth would we get a result against any of those three over 2 legs. Then prey for a lucky pen and sending off in the final and hope Hemed doesn't choke.

or we finished 3rd, play someone like Birmingham or sheff weds, and then hopefully onto a lucky winning final.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We needed 13 points from Leeds, Preston, Massive, Reading and MKD.

Stiil possible, but 3 wins now required.

After Easter --->>>

Burnley - must win.

Birmingham and Forest away - 4 points.

3 games vs London - 9 points.
So, to recap, we need to win 8 of the next 9 games. It's almost too easy.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
or we finished 3rd, play someone like Birmingham or sheff weds, and then hopefully onto a lucky winning final.

Yep. This. If we finish third, we're guaranteed to play someone shithouse like Cardiff, Brum or Massive. Whom we should wallop on our way to Wembley.
So, that wouldn't be a bad finishing position. Fourth would, though, I feel.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yep. This. If we finish third, we're guaranteed to play someone shithouse like Cardiff, Brum or Massive. Whom we should wallop on our way to Wembley.
That's the Cardiff that just beat us 4-1.

So, that wouldn't be a bad finishing position. Fourth would, though, I feel.
3rd or 4th, we'd be playing someone like Cardiff, Brum or Massive too. Derby aren't guaranteed 5th.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Cautious ? Hardly. He is doing great and going for it with the team and investment that we have. Two strikers, two wingers and two forward thinking midfield players. Add to that Bruno who spends more time looking forward than back.

I tell you what...he may choose to be less cautious and go for the Premiership job that he will inevitably be offered. Sammi was not cautious and look what happened there. Just be careful what you wish for....

Saturday's game had 0-0 written all over it from the start. Also, I'm not sure about the "Premiership job that will inevitably be offered" bit. Whilst his Championship CV is superb his Prem CV is mediocre - this could change as he's more experienced now but many Norwich fans lamented an overly cautious approach whilst they were in the Prem.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Saturday's game had 0-0 written all over it from the start. Also, I'm not sure about the "Premiership job that will inevitably be offered" bit. Whilst his Championship CV is superb his Prem CV is mediocre - this could change as he's more experienced now but many Norwich fans lamented a justifiably cautious approach whilst they were in the Prem.

Corrected for you (and them).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here