Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Hart- Worthing Herald

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
I know Harty a bit from the old days and he is a decent fella and undoubtedly a staunch Albion fan who's done a helluva lot more to benefit our club than the average fan but this article is so lacking in any real analysis of what has happened over the summer and these first games into the new season that it is almost meaningless - Ian writes of having 'serious concerns' but can then only go on to slate O'Grady!!

There are other REAL concerns at our club that I'm afraid Harty obviously hasn't the bottle to raise for fear of upsetting the clubs hierarchy - our lack of real spending, our late entry into the transfer market, who is REALLY identifying transfer targets, why was Oscar so pissed off he left after one year of a three year contract, Hyppias tactics, his constant squad rotation etc THESE are what he should be writing about not some half-baked nonsense like this Herald article!!

jamesy's

Mar 3, 2009
firstly I don't understand how this is is any way got to do with the original post. but I feel you need to be corrected. yes there are female funeral directors that advitise this fact but they like anybody else in business are looking for that edge. You might not prefer them to conduct your funeral but it is purely about choice. Ian himself employs a female director that happens to be both my wife and his sister in-law and she also has conducted a numer of BHA a supporters funerals including Phil Gray as recently as July. So fella what I'm trying to say you might be happy with the thought of the wife staying at home cooking and cleaning but you need to realise that we are now in the 21st century and women across all businesses can be as equally as competent as us males and don't need go large on being caring because in my experience both sexes in this industry show just that as you would expect.
Now here's a funny thing. Absolutely no slight on Harty at all, but why do women funeral directors like to advertise that they're women and that they're caring? I've seen it a few times especially down my way (I live near the Brighton Crematorium - dead centre of Brighton).

It's all a bit unnecessary and I don't like the implied sexism - that women are the ones who care and men couldn't give two hoots. It puts me off in fact, I have visions of some mumsy-type woman with a Yorkshire accent offering copious amounts of tea, and a hankie to cry into that she produces from her large knitted cardigan. "Ee love. She's gone t'better place. That's it, let it all out. We'll take reet good care of your dead mother"

(apologies, I can't do accents)

"Now, love did you want a wreath with the words "MUM" on it? Summit classy like. And the coffin - maybe some decking but painted black? Now come 'ere love. You look like you need a hug. Fancy a curry night?"

No thanks.

Last edited:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Failed Bundesliga managerial experience!

I hate to tell you this but when appointing a new manager, you usually have two choices: a) someone who has failed somewhere (that's why they are available), or b) someone from a lower level who is looking to move up. Almost every manager in the top two divisions has been a failure somewhere.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I hate to tell you this but when appointing a new manager, you usually have two choices: a) someone who has failed somewhere (that's why they are available), or b) someone from a lower level who is looking to move up. Almost every manager in the top two divisions has been a failure somewhere.

Why would you hate to tell me something that everybody knows.

I was just pointing out to you that failed Bundesliga experience isn't high calibre.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Why would you hate to tell me something that everybody knows.

I was just pointing out to you that failed Bundesliga experience isn't high calibre.

Not sure I agree, you can throw in Champions League as well. The question I would ask you is when does top level experience in one of the best league's in the world, and Champions League experience, become considered high calibre?

Does he have to win a title....?:shrug:

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
So someone's a JCL because they only joined NSC in 2011?! 
I respect your defence of Harty but get a grip ffs! !!

I have to come to Bobby Smiths defence here and say that I to thought he was JLC, from just what he posted. Anyone who can claim Ian to be a waste of space surely does not know what he has done for this club through the years and added to this is his join date, which was after all later than Ian stopping his involvement with the club, makes you think he surely did not know Ian's history. Hence I considered him to be a JCL along with Bobby.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Not sure I agree, you can throw in Champions League as well. The question I would ask you is when does top level experience in one of the best league's in the world, and Champions League experience, become considered high calibre?

Does he have to win a title....?:shrug:

No, but he has to have had a measure of success.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
You don't think the appointment of someone with Bundesliga managerial experience as high calibre???

PS You can't argue with me, I'm burying somebody's mother tomorrow.

Juan why the ps? I've never said that at all, and there could be someone on here that actually applies or has applied to.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Although he has done alot for the albion, Ian Hart is actually a huge Manchester City fan!

Freely admit when my life took a different direction I moved to Manchester in October 1985 for 18 months, I lodged with Alan Nixon, brother of then City goalie Eric, and on account of the fact that I would rather shit in my hands and clap than go to and watch Man Utd, I went to watch City, who I still have a soft spot for, in that time I still watched Albion up north when they were away, and obviously at the Goldstone when I came back home to visit.

Times certainly changed when I left Worthing Chris Cattlin was in charge at the Albion when I came back Barry Lloyd was in the dugout (chain smoking)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
firstly I don't understand how this is is any way got to do with the original post. but I feel you need to be corrected. yes there are female funeral directors that advitise this fact but they like anybody else in business are looking for that edge. You might not prefer them to conduct your funeral but it is purely about choice. Ian himself employs a female director that happens to be both my wife and his sister in-law and she also has conducted a numer of BHA a supporters funerals including Phil Gray as recently as July. So fella what I'm trying to say you might be happy with the thought of the wife staying at home cooking and cleaning but you need to realise that we are now in the 21st century and women across all businesses can be as equally as competent as us males and don't need go large on being caring because in my experience both sexes in this industry show just that as you would expect.

How have you construed that I don't think there should be female funeral directors or women working generally? I agree completely with everything you wrote about equality. My point is purely about those female funeral directors that advertise the fact they are women and that they are caring. Rather than being forward-thinking, I find that attitude rather patronising and old-fashioned: Women 'care' more than men, women are somehow more empathetic.....

You telling me that Harty employs female funeral directors and doesn't feel the need to play up to an outdated stereotype with prefixing her title with 'female caring' is great news. What I'm saying (badly) is that I'm sure that all funeral directors care deeply about their job whether they're men or women. I'm sure they wouldn't do it otherwise. At no point was I saying that women shouldn't be funeral directors. As you wrote in your last line:

women across all businesses can be as equally as competent as us males and don't need go large on being caring because in my experience both sexes in this industry show just that

That's the only criticism I was making too! That little pastiche I wrote was just speculating on the type of person who would advertise themselves as 'caring'. Apologies if you thought I was referring to all female funeral directors.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Juan why the ps? I've never said that at all, and there could be someone on here that actually applies or has applied to.

I think that was dig at Spadge the OP. Bear in mind some of this thread has been edited by moderators.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
How have you construed that I don't think there should be female funeral directors or women working generally? I agree completely with everything you wrote about equality. My point is purely about those female funeral directors that advertise the fact they are women and that they are caring. Rather than being forward-thinking, I find that attitude rather patronising and old-fashioned: Women 'care' more than men, women are somehow more empathetic.....

You telling me that Harty employs female funeral directors and doesn't feel the need to play up to an outdated stereotype with prefixing her title with 'female caring' is great news. What I'm saying (badly) is that I'm sure that all funeral directors care deeply about their job whether they're men or women. I'm sure they wouldn't do it otherwise. At no point was I saying that women shouldn't be funeral directors. As you wrote in your last line:

That's the only criticism I was making too! That little pastiche I wrote was just speculating on the type of person who would advertise themselves as 'caring'.

Going slightly off topic, sorry Spadge, this 'debate' has been brewing for years.

When I was President of the Sussex Association of Funeral Directors in 1997, a local company owned by a lady had used the tagline 'Providing a level of care that only a lady can bring' to which an overwhelming majority of our members took as a slight to every male undertaker who had looked after a funeral in Sussex, one member quipping why didnt she go the whole hog and print "I haven't got a c*** so I'm better at my job".

It went as far as trading standards and for a long time this advert was changed, times have moved on, my sister in law, Jane James, works with me in my business and is one of the best funeral directors I've ever worked with in nearly 30 years, not because she's a woman, but because she's good at what she does.

But at the time of the complaint, as the president I recall being called both a chauvinist and a dinosaur, even though I was only 33 at the time!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
When I was President of the Sussex Association of Funeral Directors in 1997, a local company owned by a lady had used the tagline 'Providing a level of care that only a lady can bring' to which an overwhelming majority of our members took as a slight to every male undertaker

I'm not surprised! Bang out of order. My brother-in-law is in your trade. I've seen how much he cares. I'm sure all of you do.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Going slightly off topic, sorry Spadge, this 'debate' has been brewing for years.

When I was President of the Sussex Association of Funeral Directors in 1997, a local company owned by a lady had used the tagline 'Providing a level of care that only a lady can bring' to which an overwhelming majority of our members took as a slight to every male undertaker who had looked after a funeral in Sussex, one member quipping why didnt she go the whole hog and print "I haven't got a c*** so I'm better at my job".

It went as far as trading standards and for a long time this advert was changed, times have moved on, my sister in law, Jane James, works with me in my business and is one of the best funeral directors I've ever worked with in nearly 30 years, not because she's a woman, but because she's good at what she does.

But at the time of the complaint, as the president I recall being called both a chauvinist and a dinosaur, even though I was only 33 at the time!

The LadyDrive and Sussex Ladies driving schools always make me smile.

'I have thought long and hard about what i need from a driving instuctor and decided the most important thing is breasts' :thumbsup:

A81D0CD2-C018-5FA7-F3CB9B7574AF735E.jpg

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
I have to come to Bobby Smiths defence here and say that I to thought he was JLC, from just what he posted. Anyone who can claim Ian to be a waste of space surely does not know what he has done for this club through the years and added to this is his join date, which was after all later than Ian stopping his involvement with the club, makes you think he surely did not know Ian's history. Hence I considered him to be a JCL along with Bobby.

My point was simply that calling someone a JCL partly because they only started posting on here in 2011 is ridiculous - I stand by that!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here