Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
But we didn't vote to remain, we voted to leave, so we have face up to it to deal with the situation now, rather than keep complaining we don't want to leave and having a big issue further down the line. |

I know if I was in a position to worried, I would have applied for citizenship of another EU country a long time ago, rather than sat around moaning that I don't want to leave!

You wouldn't have explored the possibility of applying for residency first in you resided overseas in another EU country then? What would you do if you were retired and currently resided in Spain just 182 days a year for tax purposes after Brexit?

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
WTO rules is definitely the way to go.

Do you think we should start negotiations with the WTO to get a set of rules and tariffs we could use for Britain? (Obviously you know the ones we currently use are the EU schedules and we won't be able to use those after we leave)

Think we have already started the process based on apportionment of the EU schedules. And guess what there have already been objections to this and on past performance the WTO will take years to resolve this. So WTO is unlikely to be as simple as every one seems to think.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I stand corrected.

we voted to leave the EU, but no such vote on the EEA... gives a neat escape route, if the politicans can see it rather then auto-dismiss further painting themselves into corners. the whole lot of them, home and abroad have failed in this so far so who knows.

It doesn't because we don't need a vote. We would have to join EFTA to re-join The EEA after leaving The EU. Leaving The EU or EFTA takes you out of The EEA by default.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Think we have already started the process based on apportionment of the EU schedules. And guess what there have already been objections to this and on past performance the WTO will take years to resolve this. So WTO is unlikely to be as simple as every one seems to think.

But Shirley, negotiating with the USA, Russia, India, Brazil and all the major trading blocs in the world won't be as hard as negotiating with those beastly people at the EU :lolol:

Oh, and the EU in their role as WTO member :facepalm:

Last edited:

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
Exactly.

I think today with Tusks IG post, shows the true colours of the EU and their attitude towards us. They never had and never will have the intention of making a deal with us. It's all a game to them. They know with us inside the EU, the EU continues indefinitely.

With us outside the EU and doing terribly and fighting amongst ourselves, they have a slim chance of keeping their gravy train on the tracks.

With us outside the EU and thriving and all pulling in the same direction and being proud of our country, they know the EU is finished, as others will see the grass is greener and want out as well.

Exactly how do you know we are going to thrive? Also on what basis do you assert that the EU is finished?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What ever the ins and outs, we will leave with no deal.

There is no way that the UK will now remain a member of the EU.

From the beginning I felt and still do, we are never going to make a deal with the EU. It is not in the interests of the EU to make a deal.

Do you really think the unelected idiots in charge of the EU want in the case of the UK leaving, anything other complete and utter mayhem in the UK to deter others from leaving.

WHEN we leave the EU is on a knife edge. Others will follow, and it will implode.

Part of me wants a second Referemdem to shut the small percentage of whiners up. I believe like if Scotland had a second one, the leave side would lose heavily, just based on democracy. Many people who voted leave before, will vote remain vote remain out of principal. But its not going to happen. Nor IMO will any leave deal be voted through parliament. IMO this country will leave the EU and move to WTO rules. I just wish people would actually face up to that, and pull together and make this country stronger, rather than playing some silly game, just so they have a chance of being smug and saying I told you so.

If we have a no deal you can say goodbye to Scotland and NI.

Here we see the true face of English nationalism, one of the Express's grooming victims

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
But Shirley, negotiating with the USA, Russia, India, Brazil and all the major trading blocs in the world won't be as hard as negotiating with those beastly people at the EU :lolol:

Oh, and the EU in their role as WTO member :facepalm:

My understanding is also that if we negotiate a trade deal with another country and that already has a deal with the EU then the EU will need to approve our deal! This is apparently because when the EU negotiates and agrees a trade deal they but this in! So there we go making all these deals and still the EU might have a say! That should be fun!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The simple issue is that the ball is in our court; the EU is simply able to respond. I'm sorry to sound divisive when you are rooting for national unity (which is admirable in its own way) but the referendum was won by the side that was using terms like the easiest deal in history, they need us more than we need them and that the German car makers would never allow this to happen. So we could all stand on the edge of the White Cliffs, sing Jerusalem in perfect harmony and wear union jack T-shirts but it won't stop the £ sinking, a loss of overseas direct investment in our firm and the crumbling of our manufacturing base.

The ball is well and truly in our court. May is really putting their own Brexit in jeopardy. She knows how the EU works but still thinks 2+ years on she can still cherry pick. The EU won't back down, they have the interests of 27 countries to protect and if I was one of them I'd be pretty pleased the job being done to protect interests. The Hungarian fascists like us though

Imagine if the French were behaving like us if they were leaving, I think we'd be saying... "fox trot oscar..."

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Why would apply for something you alrwady have the right to? FFS.

The largest majority of uk citizens living in Europe is Spain, where I believe it is 300k. Lady on the telly who owns a bar over there said the option of Spanish citizenship is off the table unless you recind your British citizenship. They also were worried how their pensions will be paid nad more importantly the free medical care they get Ina reciprocal,arrangement with the uk.

That is their main concern!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
1. Pretty sure Spain allows for dual nationality. Plenty of people have it no?
2. Why do you need British citenzenship if you are retired and have moved to Spain for the rest of your life?

Basically apart from Portugal, you have to be from Latin America or one of their former colonies to have dual citizenship. You need British citizenship as only EU nationals can reside there without work and residency permits or be a citizen.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It hasn’t been a total f.*ck up has it. Blue passports remember.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The largest majority of uk citizens living in Europe is Spain, where I believe it is 300k. Lady on the telly who owns a bar over there said the option of Spanish citizenship is off the table unless you recind your British citizenship. They also were worried how their pensions will be paid nad more importantly the free medical care they get Ina reciprocal,arrangement with the uk.

That is their main concern!

There's also municipal elections next year in Spain (as well as The European one) and as well as voting in them a fair few British expats are elected and involved on local municipalities in Spain which they can do as EU citizens. All going to go as well.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
What ever the ins and outs, we will leave with no deal.

There is no way that the UK will now remain a member of the EU.

From the beginning I felt and still do, we are never going to make a deal with the EU. It is not in the interests of the EU to make a deal.

Do you really think the unelected idiots in charge of the EU want in the case of the UK leaving, anything other complete and utter mayhem in the UK to deter others from leaving.

WHEN we leave the EU is on a knife edge. Others will follow, and it will implode.

Part of me wants a second Referemdem to shut the small percentage of whiners up. I believe like if Scotland had a second one, the leave side would lose heavily, just based on democracy. Many people who voted leave before, will vote remain vote remain out of principal. But its not going to happen. Nor IMO will any leave deal be voted through parliament. IMO this country will leave the EU and move to WTO rules. I just wish people would actually face up to that, and pull together and make this country stronger, rather than playing some silly game, just so they have a chance of being smug and saying I told you so.

Name me one unelected idiot in the EU.

We have more unelected people in Westminster than in the European Parliament or EU Commission.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The ball is well and truly in our court. May is really putting their own Brexit in jeopardy. She knows how the EU works but still thinks 2+ years on she can still cherry pick. The EU won't back down, they have the interests of 27 countries to protect and if I was one of them I'd be pretty pleased the job being done to protect interests. The Hungarian fascists like us though

Imagine if the French were behaving like us if they were leaving, I think we'd be saying... "fox trot oscar..."

Exactly. Theresa May can throw a strop as much as she wants, but she was warned by her own ministers that the Chequers deal wouldn't work.
The EU exists to look after its members. Why should they change anything?

It's alright shouting and stamping her feet, that she wants respect, but she is breaking the Good Friday Agreement with her bribery to the DUP.

I suspect there will be a leadership challenge soon from Boris.

Jan 30, 2008
"The pound is on course for its biggest one-day drop in 2018 against the dollar, after Theresa May said Brexit negotiations with the EU had reached an “impasse”.

Traders took fright as May’s comments were taken as a sign that a no deal Brexit is an increasingly likely outcome of talks, creating uncertainty which unsettles traders.

Sterling’s losses accelerated as the prime minister spoke and the pound is now down 1.5% or two cents against the dollar at $1.3062 and down 1.2% against the euro at €1.1131."

Well that went well.
yep, it's going to stay like that for ever isn't it:dunce:
regards
DR

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
May complains @eucopresident has not explained why her Chequers trade proposals are unacceptable. He says she has known for weeks the EU’s reservations. Who do we believe?

Not May

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here