Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goalkeeper thread

Which goalkeeper would you play if all injury free and available?

• Al-Habsi

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • Ankergren

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Stockdale

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Walton

Votes: 63 48.1%

• Total voters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
People would assume an older, more experienced keeper would keep a cooler head.

Walton's looked by far our calmest, most composed keeper this season. He should keep the shirt until he does something to lose it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Walton's looked by far our calmest, most composed keeper this season. He should keep the shirt until he does something to lose it.

Is that true? Walton looked anything but composed, for a mad ten minutes after the Blackburn goal. He was all over the place for a bit.

I'm a big fan of Walton, but some of the opinion on here is very one-eyed - just as it is (in the opposite fashion) regarding Stockdale.

I genuinely believe had Stockdale played on Saturday, there would have been a thread on here suggesting he should have saved the goal.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Stockdale should play with Walton on the bench, reversed for FA Cup. Walton has done OK in matches where we have picked up points at home, but how would he react after Derby have stuck five in the net?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
who said ankergren is not rated ?..... maybe we just rate Walton higher, and looking on his 3 displays you can see why

Stockdale is still our best keeper however.

Probably the way we rushed out and signed Al Habsi on loan and through him straight into the Bournemouth game, I can understand the reluctance to give Walton his league debut against the divisions form team and live on tv but it didn't give me the impression that Ankergren was rated that highly otherwise he would have stepped straight in.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Jack Butland made his name by doing just that (at Cheltenham, I think it was). He'd never played a single match for Birmingham prior to that.

It's worked for a lot of young keepers but unless he's guaranteed first team football then in our currant situation there's no advantage to us and it leaves us looking for another keeper.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Walton has done ok since coming in it should be his place to prove or lose it

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
Very pleased with Walton's progress but it has to be Stockdale. We are in a relegation battle and we need experienced players to get us out of the shit.

Yes we're in a relegation battle and Stockshit isn't the man. He's had one good game. Walton is the keeper and hasn't made any clangers to date so he should keep the shirt.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Al habsi, obviously. A class international keeper as opposed to a youngster learning his trade and a decent keeper who doesn't fill anyone with confidence.

But assuming he will be sent back by clueless, then Walton.

There can't be any more obvious choice - Al Habsi is class, always thought he was one of the top keepers in the country, as he proved season after season helping to keep Wigan in the Premier League.

Walton looks very promising - but he's only played for the first team a few times, far too early to pass judgment really. Stockdale I think will come good - Fulham fans swore by him last year and were gutted that he left. He obviously has the ability but just not impressed so far.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Stockdale for me, because we shouldn't risk over-exposing Walton at this stage. As others have said, I would be in favour of loaning him to a League 1 club for the remainder of the season from January, possibly keeping Al-Habsi for the rest of the season in a similar loan deal and let them battle it out for the number 1 shirt. Then Al-Habsi goes back to Wigan in the summer and Walton challenges Stockdale for the #1 shirt.

As [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION] said, Jack Butland was loaned to Cheltenham having never played for Birmingham. The fact Walton has only played 3 times for us won't stop a club at that level snapping him up, knowing how highly rated he is and seeing how well he's done in his performances so far. He wouldn't break the bank, either, so I'm sure there are any number of clubs looking at him and asking the question. I don't see too much value in putting him straight in at number 1 for us long term this season, we're better off using him as we are at the moment and then when Stockdale is fit, get him back in the side and let Walton carry on his education without the pressure of being the first choice.

I have faith in Annti Niemi to know how best to use Walton at this age.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Walton has played well for a 19 year old comming into the first team. however you wouldnt be ranting about it, if Casper had provided the same perfromances.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes we're in a relegation battle and Stockshit isn't the man. He's had one good game. Walton is the keeper and hasn't made any clangers to date so he should keep the shirt.

'Stockshit'.

Hahahahaha That's absolute GENIUS. I'll ignore the obvious fact that its uncalled for and unhelpful to be constantly abusing one of our players, and just bow to your amazing wit.

Stockshit. It really is superb.

Ever so well done :bowdown:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If Al habsi was signed ona season long loan, or permanent, there would be no contest whatsoever.

D

Deleted member 2719

Walton is the only keeper tp leave a good impression with me this season, so he gets my vote.

World of Sport

Mar 9, 2007
WSU
Would Walton rush out of goal like a headless chicken, like Stockdale did in the Cardiff game.
CH gets my vote and he can keep the gloves on for the rest of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here