Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burslem Today................

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What are you classing as "town centre pubs"?

As we visited 3 completely "away" pubs - The Station (opposite bizarrely the Railway Station) and 2 further ones down Princes Street, one before the Portman Road turning and one after...

The main town centre area itself - quite a distance from the station and the ground.

We ended up in the one opposite the station ourselves but must have gone past a good 10 or so that were 'Home only'.

Aug 23, 2011
Well, the Bell, Queens, Standard and Grand Central all have people checking tickets on match days....from experience, I have also seen groups of away fans moved on from the Albert and the Nelson......the Swan has been home only since a Middlesbrough's group took over the main bar (1st season?.?.)....taking the piss a bit.

Ipswich pubs near the ground have been home only for many years.

Why is Middlesbrough fans taking over the pub taking the piss? (Unless they were causing trouble )

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
well the Queens head allow away fans in as i go there before pretty much every game and there are always away fans in it unless its palace or millwall. Evening Star always has away fans in it. More often there are more than home fans. I think the Bell is more picky about it.

Usually full of CAMRA types rather than Stella swigging pwoper naughty boys who aren't going to drink in a joint like The Evening Star. If its a potential problem fixture, they don't usually open the pub at Lunchtime anyway.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Why is Middlesbrough fans taking over the pub taking the piss? (Unless they were causing trouble )
Whereas the Swan pre-match up until that point was a fairly family friendly venue, when this group turned up, they were so loud, sweary and dominating, the atmosphere changed somewhat, those with families ( not I ), were left feeling a bit uncomfortable,... the landlord got stewards in after that, tickets were checked, away fans turned away ever since.

Aug 23, 2011
Whereas the Swan pre-match up until that point was a fairly family friendly venue, when this group turned up, they were so loud, sweary and dominating, the atmosphere changed somewhat, those with families ( not I ), were left feeling a bit uncomfortable,... the landlord got stewards in after that, tickets were checked, away fans turned away ever since.

Ok fair enough, sounds sensible if they were overbearing

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Well, the Bell, Queens, Standard and Grand Central all have people checking tickets on match days....from experience, I have also seen groups of away fans moved on from the Albert and the Nelson......the Swan has been home only since a Middlesbrough's group took over the main bar (1st season?.?.)....taking the piss a bit.

Ipswich pubs near the ground have been home only for many years.

There are always away fans in the Albert, except the few obvious exceptions, same goes for the Nelson. To try and compare what is available to the away fan in Brighton with what we have available to us at most away days is disingenuous at best. Within 100 yards of Brighton station most away fans will be allowed in to the Yeoman, Queens Head, Star, Albert and Nelson. Add in a little further and there are even more options, all these pubs offer food and a full range of different types of alcoholic beverage.

In Burslem we had one pub, a particularly fine pub it must be said, but just one pub, or so it seemed.
In Ipswich we have that dreadful pub by the station, and nothing else.
Stoke away in the cup a few seasons back we were herded in to a students union with no food available, no ale, then no Guinness after fifteen minutes.
There are loads of other examples of away days where we have little or no choice. This just is not the case in Brighton.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Well i must have been dreaming then or talking to supporters pretending to be fans of the opposition. The fans in the Hikers even had their team colours on.

hikersi can understand but the bell,very suprised

Feb 14, 2010
I don't think I have ever been to an away game town with so many pubs with signs saying either "No away fans" or "home fans only".

Very backward and uninviting to say the least.

Oh and what an immense storm around an hour before the game - marvellous

Have you thought Beach Hut that the reason its Home Fans only was because when Brighton celebrated promotion up there under Micky Adams, Brighton took 4000 and an element of our support rampaged around Burslem? Probably the same reason why Brighton fans are banned from pubs in Southend, Chesterfield, Aldershot and all around the lower leagues. So Beach Hut, how about as brighton fan you look at our support and start thinking about us instead of calling other clubs area "backward". Its offence rude and one eyed.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Have you thought Beach Hut that the reason its Home Fans only was because when Brighton celebrated promotion up there under Micky Adams, Brighton took 4000 and an element of our support rampaged around Burslem? Probably the same reason why Brighton fans are banned from pubs in Southend, Chesterfield, Aldershot and all around the lower leagues. So Beach Hut, how about as brighton fan you look at our support and start thinking about us instead of calling other clubs area "backward". Its offence rude and one eyed.

Reasonable theory except the majority of signs were fixed therefore always there no matter who the opposition.

And repetition of using my name in your response as well.

Feb 14, 2010
Reasonable theory except the majority of signs were fixed therefore always there no matter who the opposition.

And repetition of using my name in your response as well.

I expect if Yeovil or the like turned up there wouldnt be a problem. Reality has to sink in when you follow Brighton away. Brighton have caused so much trouble over the years at these sorts of grounds that we cant expect a warm welcome. A Southend taxi driver who didnt know I was a Brighton fan told me not to go to the game once because Brighton were in Town and they were the worst he had seen. Reality has to kick in. Brighton away support will not be welcomed with open arms for a reason, and yes Vale has an element. So if you ran a pub in Burslem then are you going to let Brighton mob up in your pub.I wouldnt, my windows I value.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I expect if Yeovil or the like turned up there wouldnt be a problem. Reality has to sink in when you follow Brighton away. Brighton have caused so much trouble over the years at these sorts of grounds that we cant expect a warm welcome. A Southend taxi driver who didnt know I was a Brighton fan told me not to go to the game once because Brighton were in Town and they were the worst he had seen. Reality has to kick in. Brighton away support will not be welcomed with open arms for a reason, and yes Vale has an element. So if you ran a pub in Burslem then are you going to let Brighton mob up in your pub.I wouldnt, my windows I value.

Well thankfully the Bulls Head did and had cracking ale as well.

Last edited:

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
50+ Albion fans having fun and spending lots.
Bulls Head were happy to see us.
Hawkshead Brodie's Prime was most acceptable!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Spent most of time in The Bulls head, brilliant pub, the titantic stout and the plumber porter were particularly fine.

Went next door to the William something?, said home fans only but we got in fine and no problems.

After the game went to the Post Office Vaults, very much a home fans pub, but we had no issues. All in all a good day out. Probably best pub crawl we have had in any previous visits to Stoke or Port Vale.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007

Since when did we celebrate promotion at Port Vale under Micky Adams? Plymouth that was

Robbie Earle's Perm

Jan 16, 2014
I don't think I have ever been to an away game town with so many pubs with signs saying either "No away fans" or "home fans only".

Very backward and uninviting to say the least.

Oh and what an immense storm around an hour before the game - marvellous

Police 'guidance' I think you will find. There were a lot in the Vale pub Tommy Cheadles next to the entrance to the Hamil Road stand in which you were located.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Since when did we celebrate promotion at Port Vale under Micky Adams? Plymouth that was

I imagine he's talking about 2002. Peter Taylor had taken over from Adams mid-season.

Mass game of 'tag' and 'hide & seek' taking part in the Burslem streets for quite a while after the game. All good natured, I'm sure...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here