Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should we sell Locadia in the Summer?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Jose only had one 'Mickey Mouse' cup game to use for bedding in, half of Locadia's appearances must be FA cup.

Also Jose arrived with the team up against it, after a poor start, whereas Jurgen, even after his injury should have been able to slot into a settled side who were picking up decent points.

It's really hard to tell how far into your cheek your tongue is placed, sometimes. But for the sake of anyone who might be agreeing with this...

Jose was announced Aug 10, after medical and visa stuff, he had missed two league games: one against Man City, one away to Leicester. Locadia joined us 19 January, the two games prior to that was a 4-0 loss to Chelsea and a 2-0 loss to West Brom (and prior to that, 6 points from a possible 24)

Remember we're 2 days away from May and he arrived mid January.and was fit to play a month later.

So, he's had half of February, March, and almost all of April, 2.5 months that involved an international break and a match postponed because our opponents were in the fa cup semi-final.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Of course it was, as said just the natural end point if your train of thought is:-

'Blimey we're playing pretty good, esp for a tough away match, but it's all breaking down around their box'.

Sadly the precious snowflakes on here can't handle the truth. :lol:

Whose truth? Yours or other people's?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I agree but he may give Locadia the chance to lead the line from the start to see if he can unsettle United with more speed. He seems to like Murray as a hold up player and good at defending if we are leading or to secure a draw. He tried it today to a certain extent with Ulloa starting and Murray (dependable) replacing him late on. If Ulloa failed to make an impact he my try Locadia. It could well be the right game for him to start and try to nick an early goal before its backs to the wall time.

He must have a better than chance of starting than Leo does after today, but Glen will almost certainly start

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Same reason Izquierdo wasn’t thrown straight in, he still needs time to learn how we play and adapt to English football. If you think we’re going to sell a player we’ve spent that much on after a couple of months you can’t know a great deal about football.

...is the correct answer.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Still time for Locadia to come good in my view.

Next season I reckon CH will stick with Murray, Locadia, and Baldock in the strikers dept and get rid of Hemed.

I don't think he will go after another striker with his preference of only ever playing 1 up front, as much as I'd like to see a 4th striker brought in. Maybe he will blow the budget on a more creative/attacking midfielder?

I think they'll do just that and buy a Murray-esque type centre forward. A younger version.

Goals keep teams up and we got lucky this season with Murray staying fit.

A big risk if they don't. Baldock might not ever be PL standard and we have no idea whether Locadia will be a success ... yet.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Of course it was, as said just the natural end point if your train of thought is:-

'Blimey we're playing pretty good, esp for a tough away match, but it's all breaking down around their box'.

Sadly the precious snowflakes on here can't handle the truth. [emoji38]
Never try to do tongue and cheek on here

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Given how many people are on the call in on radio sussex questioning why he hasn't been used, it didn't seem surprising to see a thread like this. I was going to look at the appearances record of Izquierdo v Locadia to support stat starting this thread, but found that contrary to what I thought, it's actually quite similar. Over his first three months, Izquierdo made 7 appearances, over his first three, Locardia has made 6, and let's remember he was injured when he joined us so unavailable for a couple of weeks. I know it is frustrating, but it sees to be part of the process of settling them into the team

Agreed. The other thing is that if Locadia is to play up-front, he's got to demonstrate that he can hold the ball up. It's integral to the way we play, and he probably needs to develop that side of his game (I think he's capable of doing so). If he does, he will increase the variety of our attacking play as he can also run behind the defence (Murray, Hemed and Ulloa can't). He's also admitted that he needs to improve his heading, which he'll need to do if he wants to start up-front.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Jurgen has had a massive bust up with the coaching team.

For me, he looks pretty hopeless in the air, and he is not a backs to goal target man either. So, if he is to lead the line next season, we have to completely change the way we build up our play in the opposition half. Maybe that’s what CH wants to do, with a full summer and pre-season to sort his squad, and practice new shape and final third tactics etc. Maybe not.

All I do know is that Locadia’s current attitude has most definitely not endeared him to the coaching and management team. And only one person can change that.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Still time for Locadia to come good in my view.

Next season I reckon CH will stick with Murray, Locadia, and Baldock in the strikers dept and get rid of Hemed.

I don't think he will go after another striker with his preference of only ever playing 1 up front, as much as I'd like to see a 4th striker brought in. Maybe he will blow the budget on a more creative/attacking midfielder?

Need to get rid of Baldock too, and sign another striker. And then we also need to add quality in midfield and out wide.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So, he's had half of February, March, and almost all of April, 2.5 months that involved an international break and a match postponed because our opponents were in the fa cup semi-final.
and in that time, beyond the FA Cup he's been used as a winger with no success.

Yet today, in a game where the team is fairly comfortable (certainly the most comfortable they'll be for the rest of this season) but Ulloa was making no headway Jurgen must be wondering what's going on to have him replaced by Murray.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Jurgen has had a massive bust up with the coaching team.

All I do know is that Locadia’s current attitude has most definitely not endeared him to the coaching and management team. And only one person can change that.

Where does this come from as it seems hard to believe as he is still included in the match day squad albeit on the bench.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I thought we played well today, for 3/4ers of the pitch.
Some lovely interplay with crisp one touch passing, mixing up the speed of attack.

Then the team gets 25 yards from goal and everything stops.

If Jurgen can't get onto the pitch today, gotta wonder why he's here getting splinters sat on the bench behind the older slower version of Ulloa.

Locadia and Ulloa are not like for like palyers. In any case, Ulloa won't be here next season, so Locadia l'm sure will get far more game time. Game time is a horrible Americanised phrase l know, but you get my drift. :)

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
and in that time, beyond the FA Cup he's been used as a winger with no success.

Yet today, in a game where the team is fairly comfortable (certainly the most comfortable they'll be for the rest of this season) but Ulloa was making no headway Jurgen must be wondering what's going on to have him replaced by Murray.

Every cloud has a silver lining and all that.

Today was further evidence for Winstanley/Hughton as to why they shouldn't invest in Ulloa this summer.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I think part of the problem is that, even tho the team and formation are fairly settled, its not easy to slot Locadia in ... there is no like for like replacement (methinks). He's not a pure winger nor a pure hold up/ heading striker. He's more of a second striker in a 442 or a floating striker in a 343 (whatever that means). I think he will give us mobility and sharpness in the forward line but only if CH can figure out what formation and mix of players will bring the best out of Locadia. So, its a longish project, I suggest?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Locadia and Ulloa are not like for like palyers. In any case, Ulloa won't be here next season, so Locadia l'm sure will get far more game time. Game time is a horrible Americanised phrase l know, but you get my drift. :)
:facepalm:

No pooh sherlock, that's the whole point of this eye-catching thread.

If Ulloa is getting nothing from Burnley why replace him with Murray a like for like palyer and leave the £14m different striker on the bench.

If Murray were to have been injured today CH would have been looking around to Tomer. (for the hard of thinking that's another tongue back in cheek comment)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here