Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Have to admit I thought the cold might be a barrier to me, but last night I was out in -2oC, a dusting of snow on the ground, in shorts and a t-shirt, and I was still far too hot! What am I doing wrong? I keep seeing other runners with gloves, scarfs, woolly hats, trousers etc!

Having some issues with sciatica though, any tips welcome.

Is it same side as sore knee?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Is it same side as sore knee?

It varies to be honest (in terms of which knee hurts the most)! Mostly, yes. I should add that I was previously diagnosed with a prolapsed disc, but that after extensive research concluded that most of the back pain that I experienced was due to stress - having had a stressful week at work this is likely to be the same.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It varies to be honest (in terms of which knee hurts the most)! Mostly, yes. I should add that I was previously diagnosed with a prolapsed disc, but that after extensive research concluded that most of the back pain that I experienced was due to stress - having had a stressful week at work this is likely to be the same.

Can't help then but assume you have a stretch routine. Be careful running through pain, it rarely ends well.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have to admit I thought the cold might be a barrier to me, but last night I was out in -2oC, a dusting of snow on the ground, in shorts and a t-shirt, and I was still far too hot! What am I doing wrong? I keep seeing other runners with gloves, scarfs, woolly hats, trousers etc!

Having some issues with sciatica though, any tips welcome.
Look up 'neural flossing' on YouTube and try a couple of the exercises. Worked like a miracle cure for me......couple of examples...

https://youtu.be/aFKwNffX8zw

https://youtu.be/zzcncRdkHno

As for getting too hot, my usual drill is to wear 3 layers and gloves, then stop after a mile and take two layers and the gloves off [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
22:09 at Hove Park this morning, not feeling great, possibly a cold coming on. Thought I caught sight of a short haired [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] before the start but didn’t see him cruise past me or afterwards?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
26:45 at the Prom for me. Marathon training has begun. Tuesday is speed/strength day.

I did 6 miles up and down the prom this morning. It was hideous. I was thinking "who on earth will turn up for parkrun later?" :lolol:

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
26:55 at Preston Park for me today. Happy with the time (given that I had volunteered as the 27 minute pacer [emoji846]).

Just starting my build-up to London marathon, so I’ve decided to rein back a bit on Parkruns, maybe only racing one in three. Signing up as a pacer has the double benefit of a) making sure that I resist the temptation to run it hard and that my natural competitiveness doesn’t get the better of me; and b) gives me some volunteer brownie points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
20 miles this weekend. Marathon training is well and truly on, though an easier week planned next week, Last three miles of the weekend (before the cooldown) were targetted as the quickest as well.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
20 miles this weekend. Marathon training is well and truly on, though an easier week planned next week, Last three miles of the weekend (before the cooldown) were targetted as the quickest as well.

I saw your run on Strava, very impressive. You look like you’re coming back into form.

Had to give up my run after 0.10 miles. An old ankle injury sustained in a nightclub in Ibiza came on last night. Frustrating as nice running weather today. It’s the type of injury that if I move it today I should be ok to get out tonight but means no wine for lunch.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
I saw your run on Strava, very impressive. You look like you’re coming back into form.

Had to give up my run after 0.10 miles. An old ankle injury sustained in a nightclub in Ibiza came on last night. Frustrating as nice running weather today. It’s the type of injury that if I move it today I should be ok to get out tonight but means no wine for lunch.

Cheers. Yeah, hopefully hitting form at the right time. Dropping the booze and having a structured plan are both really helping.

Hope you can get out later, sounds like a weird old injury! Yep, conditions perfect this morning, loads of runners out and about.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cheers. Yeah, hopefully hitting form at the right time. Dropping the booze and having a structured plan are both really helping.

Hope you can get out later, sounds like a weird old injury! Yep, conditions perfect this morning, loads of runners out and about.

Good news on meeting the targets. I've had to jump in at the deep end to catch up with my plan and my 5 week progression is 15/3/9/24/41. 54 miles next week and I'll be on target. All body parts feel ok and I'm spending a lot of effort on holding in the reigns to catch up on distance.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
At the risk of being accused of only singing (posting!) when I'm winning... I'm continuing my magnificent and almost complete lack of form. I was bad around Hove Park yesterday, I was 20 places and 37 seconds behind [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]. I did the usual strong(ish) finish with the final 0.1 at 5:26 per mile pace but around the general course I was well short of pace. On the plus side, form and technique seemed fine and no problem from the achilles. I think the problems currently are mostly psychological and there's only one way around it, plenty of running and focused gym work. Next weekend I should be at Kettering parkrun for my second performance there. I ran 19:20 there first time with a significant hangover. Sub-21 will be the aim.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Well, it's been really f***ing cold today. I did a 10k run with my RunTOBeer group. When we were running north it felt like my face was going to just freeze over. It was about -19C but the windchill was more like -30C.

Despite all that, it was actually a lot of fun. You need to be in a group on a day like today. I don't think I'd have got far on my own. The snow on the ground made it into even more of a workout, constantly trying to keep stable and avoid slipping.

Thankfully I got my long run out of the way on Friday morning when it was a more sensible 1C. That's the last long one before my marathon in 3 weeks. I've definitely picked the right time to taper now that winter has really hit us.

SnowRun.png

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here