Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber - New Deputy Chairman

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes this is surely about clarifying reporting lines and securing a key employee from Bloom's point view and (even) more moolah and something impressive sounding for a CV from Barber's point of view.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Given TB spends half the year in Australia he probably wants to formerly appoint a deputy so reporting lines are clear when he isn’t around (and to clarify who ISN’T his deputy)

I suspect the bit in brackets is part of the reason Tim. With the new guy coming in there was always a potential clash, which TB will have nipped in the bud before it starts.

I have no idea if TB goes to all Board meetings these days or attends by conference calls when he's out of the country but this would also make it clear who chairs those meeting when TB isn't available, or can't be arsed to attend.

Plus it stops any other club or organisation poaching Barber.

So all in all a shrewd move by TB I would say. Cunning little bugger isn't he, our Chairman. :bowdown:

Does he still spend 6 months out of the UK? He always seems to be at every home game at least.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Does he still spend 6 months out of the UK? He always seems to be at every home game at least.

Not sure. Recall something about his wife’s illness being less painful in warmer weather so they went to Australia during our winter. Agreed he doesn’t seem to miss a match so things might have changed, nevertheless he still wants a deputy.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Grateful recognition of him paying the £259K bung to Scudamore out of his own substantial wages rather than raiding club funds?

Ripon Gull

Feb 9, 2012
Given what Tony Bloom has already done for our beloved club, we must trust that this is indeed a good move. Paul Barber isn't stupid, he's done a good job for us and he knows on which side his bread is buttered. We can only get bigger and better under TB, PB and CH. Onwards and upwards and congratulations to Paul

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yeah, we’ll done Paul, he’s the MUSTARD you know...!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It is possible to disagree with some of his decisions and think he does a great job for TB and the club as a whole. Some of the unpleasantness and hysteria from the comments he gets both on here and sent to the club are way out of proportion.

Yeah, I'll go with this. There is plenty he's done that has frustrated me over the years, particularly in how rigidly he can argue a point - but its completely clear how much of our rise is down to him and I want him going nowhere

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Congratulations to PB. We’ve clearly got one of the best CEOs on the business.

Where else are we amongst the best in the country? I can think of half a dozen areas straight away:

U23 squad
Training ground
Stadium
Fans
Pies
Disabled access

Six more reasons PB got his promotion.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Thoroughly deserved and he works his socks off for the club. Having had some meetings with people from other clubs, whenever I tell them I'm an Albion fan there is universal appreciation of just how well regarded he is from others in the industry, and it's fairly common knowledge he was on the short list from for the CEO role from a much larger club in the North West.

He gives a talk to our students every year, in his own time, and it is always one that gets some of the best feedback.

It is possible to disagree with some of his decisions and think he does a great job for TB and the club as a whole. Some of the unpleasantness and hysteria from the comments he gets both on here and sent to the club are way out of proportion.

Agreed. I've moaned long and loud on here about some of his decisions, but I'll be the first to admit that, given where we are now, he must be really good at his job and thus he's been a huge part of our success. No surprise that other, bigger organisations have been sniffing around. Hopefully he won't be tempted just yet.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Where else are we amongst the best in the country? I can think of half a dozen areas straight away:

U23 squad
Training ground
Stadium
Fans
Pies
Disabled access

Six more reasons PB got his promotion.

Messageboard?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
You have to say that this is well deserved. Since some troubling early decisions he really hasn't put a foot wrong. Clearly knows exactly what he is doing and is as much a part of our success story as Bloom and Hughton.

Would not be at all surprised if he heads up the FA at some point in the future but suspect that would come towards the end of his career not when he is at his prime and in much demand. Can't argue with any financial reward he gets for it either.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You have to say that this is well deserved. Since some troubling early decisions he really hasn't put a foot wrong. Clearly knows exactly what he is doing and is as much a part of our success story as Bloom and Hughton.

Would not be at all surprised if he heads up the FA at some point in the future but suspect that would come towards the end of his career not when he is at his prime and in much demand. Can't argue with any financial reward he gets for it either.

Heading up the Premier League might be more his kind of job, although they've clearly gone off in a different direction with the new appointment (broadcasting/digital background favoured over football knowledge). Also, he'll not earn as much as head of the FA as he does at the Albion.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

U23 squad
Training ground
Stadium
Fans
Pies
Disabled access

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here