Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massive fire in London - Grenfell Tower in Shepherds Bush

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
"The apartments are "newly-built social housing" in a complex where the price of private homes starts at £1.5m."

Don't get me wrong, it's excellent news something is being done BUT how can properties STARTING at £1.5m ever be classed as social housing ?

most developments required to provide a % of the development to social housing to get through planning. however here i think its mixed reporting, the block appears to have been brought up by City of London Corporation and donated to the council to rehouse the residents, its just getting labeled as social housing because of usage.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
most developments required to provide a % of the development to social housing to get through planning. however here i think its mixed reporting, the block appears to have been brought up by City of London Corporation and donated to the council to rehouse the residents, its just getting labeled as social housing because of usage.

Berkeleys, and other building firms, as you correctly point out, have to add around 25% social housing. It's not always very good housing. I lived in a St James building in Hornsey, another Berkeleys company. My flat was fine but the social housing there was ripped apart in condemnation by inhabitants.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The flats will be fully furnished, I think the government have actually done a superb job here and as said earlier in just over a week of this horrific disaster.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Sure Jeremy will find something wrong with this. Should be all over news saying how well government has done to act so fast but thats not how our media works

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Sure Jeremy will find something wrong with this. Should be all over news saying how well government has done to act so fast but thats not how our media works

He'll obviously point out that they're only getting the social housing and not the top of the range stuff. This just goes to show in what little regard the poor and needy are held under this awful Tory government.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

To be fair to Jezza when you have access to the magic money tree and ignore the huge debt burden every poor person, migrant or refugee can be housed in top notch100% secure accommadation all over the country.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

On the day of the Queen's speech I reckon most of the political correspondents may just be otherwise engaged. Actually fair play to the government for not only sorting this out but doing so at a time when the good news was always unlikely to make top story. It's only fair to give praise where due.

That doesn't mean, though, that the system isn't massively broken and, as Panorama showed, there are plenty of people with questions to answer. Prevention is always better than cure.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Met a bloke today who's working on site up there. The Fire Brigade told him there were 42 bodies in just one room! Unknown if from the same family/families or if they were taking 'shelter' in there as the room was near the stairwell.

I guess the total number of dead/missing may never be known due to a number of the dead not officially existing!

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008

You are so right. The huge bias against the Conservative party is a worry to all right minded people.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Met a bloke today who's working on site up there. The Fire Brigade told him there were 42 bodies in just one room! Unknown if from the same family/families or if they were taking 'shelter' in there as the room was near the stairwell.

I guess the total number of dead/missing may never be known due to a number of the dead not officially existing!

It looks like the sort of place where there may have been some flats filled with illegal imigrants or people putting up extended families. People are claiming 500 but anyone who died in the flat without being registrered as a tenant may never be counted let alone identified.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
It looks like the sort of place where there may have been some flats filled with illegal imigrants or people putting up extended families. People are claiming 500 but anyone who died in the flat without being registrered as a tenant may never be counted let alone identified.

Indeed. And how many 'Grenfell Towers' are there, not just in London but around the country?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Isn't it the local council that have sorted this rather than the government of Mrs May?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

is the 500 some official estimate or finger in the air from the public?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here