Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Atletico De Madrid friendly at the Amex?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Have Athletico guaranteed who will play for them? Full team or half a team plus kids.

Chief executive Paul Barber said: “People seem to love this game and can’t wait to see Griezmann and people like that.

“We have got to know the people from Atletico very well over the last month and they are really good people, a really good football club, and we have every confidence the side they put out will be the strongest they possibly can.

PS- ATLETI (no H)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Have Athletico guaranteed who will play for them? Full team or half a team plus kids.

I don't know but Chelsea, Lazio, Sevilla etc all played first team squads in our previous equivalent friendlies.
Albion normally start with their likely starting 11 or thereabouts for opening league game of the season for this type of match (but freely use subs as well in 2nd half).

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Are there loyalty points for this game? (Already have our tickets, just interested). Also, if there are, are they applied BEFORE last season's points are halved (because doesn't that happen on the first competitive game).

Should there be points for the additional games that people can go to and support the club (in the widest sense)..? Pre-Season Friendlies, u21s, Womens Team, etc etc

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Chief executive Paul Barber said: “People seem to love this game and can’t wait to see Griezmann and people like that.

“We have got to know the people from Atletico very well over the last month and they are really good people, a really good football club, and we have every confidence the side they put out will be the strongest they possibly can.

PS- ATLETI (no H)

Atletico is merely the Spanish spelling of Athletico, so if an Englishman was going to spell it . . .

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not that BHA will be concerned but I shall not pay money to see superstars like Greizman Torres and if he goes back Costa playing at half pace with little interest only to avoid injury. I would sooner wait for the stars of Man City in August.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Will it be the usual Amex atmosphere? I've booked tickets in the NW corner for 6 (only place to get a block of them) and that includes my mother (never been to a football game before) and my nephew (will be 9) - my sister is worried my nephew may end up catching some of the usual language, but i'm less worried.

Been very lazy at booking my seats and see pretty much a lot sold.

Any talk of them opening the top tiers?

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Basque.

They're called Athletic Club because they were founded by a group of Basques who had spent time in England, so used the English spelling.

Also forced to change their name to the Spanish spelling under Franco, right? But changed it back once he died?

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Also forced to change their name to the Spanish spelling under Franco, right? But changed it back once he died?

I understood that all clubs were ordered by Franco to get rid of English spelling of names so Athletic Madrid became Atleti and Barcelona FC became FC Barcelona. Only Athletic Bilbao told him to do one!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Yep, from the early 40s to the mid 70s (roughly) they were known as Atletico, then reverted as you say when Franco died.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here