Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massive fire in London - Grenfell Tower in Shepherds Bush

I wonder if the Daily Mail has a possible reason for highlighting in its headline that he is an "Ethiopian taxi driver"? Can't imagine what that reason might be.
Umm, maybe because he was an Ethiopian taxi driver.

Just like the BBC said about that republican politicians shooter was a white man who supported Bernie Sanders.

Every detail!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Umm, maybe because he was an Ethiopian taxi driver.

Just like the BBC said about that republican politicians shooter was a white man who supported Bernie Sanders.

Every detail!

Yes, but arguably the Bernie Sanders supporting bit could have been seen as relevant to what the bloke had just done. This guy's ethnic origin clearly has no relevance to whether he started the fire, but the Mail has highlighted it to to further add a bit of racist spice to what will probably now turn into a hate campaign against him.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Yes, but arguably the Bernie Sanders supporting bit could have been seen as relevant to what the bloke had just done. This guy's ethnic origin clearly has no relevance to whether he started the fire, but the Mail has highlighted it to to further add a bit of racist spice to what will probably now turn into a hate campaign against THEM.

that is probably more relevant

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
When you consider they were able to set up netting to stop that fella that dived from out of space and catch him safely at the velocity he was traveling surely something can be done to catch people from heights that are nothing like that.

That system too a lot of careful planning and calculations to pull off, would there be time to set something up

It could also potentially block the emergency services access to the site and taking them away from fighting the fire and from evacuating those trapped if being set up in response to a fire?

If there is a fire, wouldn't there be burning debris failing from the building that would land in such a system and either burn or potentially become as deadly as people fell onto that debris?

Only one person could land at a time (who co-ordinates when each trapped person jumps) plus it would have to be reset each time

If pre-installed, there would be a need to maintain it, etc which may not be done properly - surely simpler to insist that buildings have sprinkler systems or at least 2 fire escape routes (at opposite sides of the building and for there to be an alarm that can be heard by all residents so they can evacuate) Something i am surprised wasn't brought in as mandatory retrospective actions when legislation was brought in / changed for new building standards

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
When you consider they were able to set up netting to stop that fella that dived from out of space and catch him safely at the velocity he was traveling surely something can be done to catch people from heights that are nothing like that.

It wouldn't fill me with confidence if the emergency fire escape instructions was to hurl yourself, children and grand parents from 20 floors plus into a net. It's a Victorian solution not a 21st Century one.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The local response has been magnificent.

One thing that has concerned me (since it has been remarked upon by the residents and the local MP) was the lack of coordination with the relief effort.

Absolute panic I'd imagine on the ground - but another lesson learnt I think. How to deal with the unprecedented generosity of the locals. I think they have it under control- but are now asking for storage in that we need all this stuff but where do we put it.

Possibly there are some empty homes in the area.....

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
It wouldn't fill me with confidence if the emergency fire escape instructions was to hurl yourself, children and grand parents from 20 floors plus into a net. It's a Victorian solution not a 21st Century one.

Better than nothing.

HTB1k60gLXXXXXbjXFXXq6xXFXXXW.jpg

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
The local response has been magnificent.

One thing that has concerned me (since it has been remarked upon by the residents and the local MP) was the lack of coordination with the relief effort.

Absolute panic I'd imagine on the ground - but another lesson learnt I think. How to deal with the unprecedented generosity of the locals. I think they have it under control- but are now asking for storage in that we need all this stuff but where do we put it.

Possibly there are some empty homes in the area.....

How much would you be charged for storage?

Lily Allen on Channel 4 stating forces on the ground think 150 could have been killed.
Lily Allen, the acclaimed structural engineer, fire safety officer and building control expert makes things worse for the poor families and better for her media profile. Shameful!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Lily Allen, the acclaimed structural engineer, fire safety officer and building control expert makes things worse for the poor families and better for her media profile. Shameful!

Posted on another thread - lives (or lived locally). Always seeing her in the shopping centre looking very un-celeb.

I have a charmed life don't live round there but work there/

There are some extremely poor bits being surrounded by some VERY expensive housing and the (further) development of the Westfield Centre.

It's feel like it's being cleansed. There is the huge development of the old Television Centre (now sold off) right next door to a large council estate.

Let's see what comes out of the inquiry - but if the motivation was to make that Tower look good rather than be safe, there are a number of questions to be asked.

She is also making a very very good point about the conflict of interest of elected individuals voting on Landlord matters who are in themselves Landlords or Developers.

.. watch the recent BBC documentary on the Lords - it's an eye opener.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It is disgusting this country harbours, for free, so much wealth from around the world without getting much by return. Except of course the social costs caused by rising inequality. Feck it, if there are half a dozen empty mansions owned by some filthy rich foreigners nearby I'd like to think that those made homeless could just storm 'em and occupy. About time the present Establishment were reminded that many of their ancestors have lost their heads because of revolting peasants! So it pays to keep them happy rather than just focusing on a bigger yacht when your neighbours are queuing for food banks. Feels like we live in an age where this history has been forgotten and the gap between have and have nots is wider than ever before as a result.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here