Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mass shooting in Orlando

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Trump trying to justify using guns.

[tweet]871331574649901056[/tweet]
Shit did he really tweet that? He's quite something. Interesting that 3 men with a truck and knives managed to kill 7 people, but one man in Orlando last year, with a gun, managed to kill 49. Maybe a gun debate isn't a bad idea.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Michael Moore's 'Bowling for Columbine' stated that gun ownership per head in Canada is actually higher than the US.
But their gun murder rate is about 1/100th of that across the border.

I suspect that the poverty rate in America is far higher than any other developed country and that will likely contribute. But some of it must be mindset.

The USA is also having a prescription drug epidemic with pain killer drugs. Doctors seem to prescribe them to anyone.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Okay, let me amend my point - there are other first world countries with similar levels of gun ownership that don't have regular mass shootings because the point still stands. There doesn't seem to be a direct correlation between high levels of gun ownership and mass shootings.

you are now in a very limited pool of countries anyway if we are discounting non first world. Finland?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Sad world it's becoming

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
The USA is also having a prescription drug epidemic with pain killer drugs. Doctors seem to prescribe them to anyone.

When I was over in Texas a few years back I was surprised how many men were taking powerful steroids like eating smarties so as to try and get as muscular possible. Many were police officiers or military. Pretty sure steroids ain't always good for anger management issues which when mixed with easy to access firearms is a recipe for disaster.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
you are now in a very limited pool of countries anyway if we are discounting non first world. Europe doesnt have it granted, but Europe is quick to forget its ability to plunge itself into bloodshed that has bodycounts into the millions. The US hasnt had a high casualty internecine war for 150 years. We still can meet people in the pub that can remember our last one.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to compare a continent's political leaders' historical eagerness to resort to war with the likelihood of an individual person pulling a gun on someone when they get angry. Saying that I get your point.

The first world pool that you mention may be small but it is significant and one that can be used as a proper comparison. Here, you are comparing countries of similar(ish) wealth and lifestyle levels, of relative institutional corruption levels, poverty levels may differ but not extremely so and they all have police forces that are relatively trustworthy and efficient.

I'm excluding Philippines as I would Brazil or South Africa for not matching the reasons above. I've lived in S Africa and I know that people resort to the gun in lieu of the law rather than despite it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here