Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stoke City U18s v Albion U18s, FA Youth Cup 5th Rd, bet365 Stadium, Friday - Kick-off 7pm

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I thought that too....at last a striker in the youth team!!!
Don't worry - for the next four years he won't be old enough, and then suddenly he won't be good enough and will be off to League 1 or 2. The 'Lancing Triangle' of young strikers will sort that!
Although I suppose there has to be an exception to that rule somewhere...........maybe!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Very easy to be negative but can assure you from watching just 2 games more ability then i have ever seen before at that age group. Going back to game what on earth was full back doing tackling winger from behind when he wasnt even in a scoring position.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Very easy to be negative but can assure you from watching just 2 games more ability then i have ever seen before at that age group. Going back to game what on earth was full back doing tackling winger from behind when he wasnt even in a scoring position.

I assume you mean for their penalty? Our right-back isn't really a right-back; Archie Davies is a midfielder who has been playing that position in the FA Youth Cup because our usual right-back (Owen Moore) has been playing in the centre of defence alongside Danny Barker.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Many thanks for updates etc AZ. How come you are so knowledgeable on U18s?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Just reading this thread, sounded very unlucky.
[MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION] [MENTION=1413]Mackenzie[/MENTION] how good do you think Connolly is? Didn't he also score a couple on his debut for the U23s?

Although young so was Tilley, would you have him on the bench before the end of the season?

(Accepting we may not have any meaningless games).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just reading this thread, sounded very unlucky.
[MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION] [MENTION=1413]Mackenzie[/MENTION] how good do you think Connolly is? Didn't he also score a couple on his debut for the U23s?

Although young so was Tilley, would you have him on the bench before the end of the season?

(Accepting we may not have any meaningless games).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh I'm only going on what I saw last night, looked like he knew what he was doing in a game of academy robots.

Low centre of gravity, balance, skill and aggression. Liked the look of him.

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
Made the trip down from Doncaster, sat in an extremely cold stand, home and away in same stand. I needed a lift after witnessing the Huddersfield debacle . The game was indeed a boost to morale. That first half was excellent and our boys did themselves proud. It was quite enjoyable listening to the Stoke supporters waxing lyrically about our players. The second half was more of a battle but changes to our side proved negative. Moving Connolly to the wing in place of Meekums with Danny Cashman going up front gave Stoke relief. This was compounded by taking off Ajiboye. This allowed Stoke to push forward at last without the worry of being exposed. So from 2-0 it moved to 2-2 at the final whistle . The lads worked hard and kept Stoke at bay in extra time . Connolly nearly snatched it. Finally down to Pens to decide who went through. Stoke powered their pens in we could only mange two losing 4-2. Stoke celebrated wildly and somewhat arrogantly. Tears and frustration in the Brighton ranks but a great effort . Though I did feel the substitutions were less than helpful to the Brighton cause.

Tom McGill -7 Gave a sound display. Thought he would lose out in challenges with Stoke's giants, he did not. Good on crosses . Generally good distribution.
Archie Davies -7 Brilliant first half really caused Stoke problems with his runs and loved it when he chipped the Stoke player and ran around he to collect the descending ball, see ya later! Struggled more when the clever Szereto was brought on and drew a pen fron Archies challenge near the end.
Rian O'Sullivan- 6 Solid defending not as good as Davies moving forward but a solid game. Cramp at the end.
Jayson Molumby- 8 Controlled midfield first half still influencial all the way through . A Dale Stephens apprentice.
Danny Barker- 7 Really battled with the larger Stoke lads , brave and determined.
Owen Moore- 5.5 Looked a bit overawed, Played out of position apparently so could also explain his discomfort.
David Ajiboye- 6 Seems to have pace to burn and that worried Stoke. They often doubled up on him. Why take him off? He was not happy at that decision.
Luis Garcia-7 Worked well with Molumby. Aka Kayal and Stephens. Ran out of steam towards the end and subbed.
Aaron Connolly-8 Played up front on his own against a large defence but buzzed around. When ball delivered to his feet showed great control and threat. Stoke very happy when he was moved deeper.
Danny Mandtiou-8 Really well played. Got stuck in , took on bigger lads with an attitude of the bigger they are the harder they will fall. Showed good feet and linked well with Molumby and Garcia.
Reece Meekums- 7 Kept Stoke stretched on the left, quick and skillful. Missed when subbed.

Danny Cashman- 4 Never won the ball, never held it up . Too early in his development to face lads much older and larger than him.
Alex Cochrane -5 tried to get into the game had some good touches but needed to offer a better outlet for the likes of Molumby.
Isaac Hutchinson-6 Really up for it, came on late but with great energy started to push back the Stoke tide as he chased down the Stoke players.
Really enjoyed watching the lads. Next stop Brentford, see you all there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here