Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock- our most improved player this season?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The key test in this debate is, what would we do if he were injured?

I suggest we would be severely diminished. Murray/Hemed has been hit-and-miss. No-one else at the Club can quite play the role we need: as Naylor points out today, his is the only position for which we do not have cover.

For those who complain that 'he runs around a lot without achieving much', it is his workrate that allows us to play 4-4-2 without being overrun in midfield. First half v Fulham, I would suggest, is the exception that proves the rule. Baldock didn't play well, but he changed his Duracells at halftime and put in an unbelievable 2nd half performance.

We are walking a tightrope in managing without cover for him. Injury/suspension for a striker is our biggest risk currently.

PG

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Our most improved player this season is Steve Sidwell. Got a run of games and has showed how important he is to us. Beram will have problems breaking into the squad again. However, Balders, and his run of games has proved that he too, is very much an improvement on last term. But I'll stick with my Sidwell punt.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I know a couple of Bristol City STHs. They both said when we signed him that he was a confidence player who needed to play week in, week out and scores goals in clusters. We're seeing that now. The more he plays and the more he scores, the better he'll get. My issue with him will be how he comes back from an injury, suspension or squad rotation.

However, I also sit in WSU and don't agree with Ninja Elephant. I like his energy off the ball and his getting in people's faces.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The key test in this debate is, what would we do if he were injured?

PG
We'd be fooked.

The club clearly tried hard to cover that position in the summer but ultimately failed.

It was a massive gamble to roll the dice with what we had, and I'm amazed they are in touching distance of pulling it off.

There is no way SB won't have competition for his place in January.
Looking at the fixture list we can make a good case for that deal happening sooner rather than later, in the month.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Comparing Baldock to CMS is utterly ridiculous. CMS was one of the most brainless footballers I have ever seen, whereas Baldock, whilst not always effective, is a far, far smarter player. I think Barnes would be a closer comparison in terms of overall play.

est.83

Dec 6, 2003
Estonia
After Newcastle I was writing Baldock off, he seems to have come around nicely since that.

OT/Quiz:

How many assists have Brighton's central midfielders (Kayal, Stephens, Sidwell, Norwood) had this season (combined)?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
After Newcastle I was writing Baldock off, he seems to have come around nicely since that.

OT/Quiz:

How many assists have Brighton's central midfielders (Kayal, Stephens, Sidwell, Norwood) had this season (combined)?

Not many I suspect. Kayal set up Murray. I'll go ONE.

The CM job is primarily to win the ball, keep the ball and set the wingers going.

PG

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Our most improved player this season is Steve Sidwell. Got a run of games and has showed how important he is to us. Beram will have problems breaking into the squad again. However, Balders, and his run of games has proved that he too, is very much an improvement on last term. But I'll stick with my Sidwell punt.

Sidwell didn't really get a chance last season for me. With how brilliant Kayal and Stephens were he was only stepping in when one or the other got injured/suspended. I still thought he looked very good in the playoffs. I was perplexed when some people were writing him off as 'finished' and not wanting us to offer him a contract this season, all players need regular game time to show their quality.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Sidwell didn't really get a chance last season for me. With how brilliant Kayal and Stephens were he was only stepping in when one or the other got injured/suspended. I still thought he looked very good in the playoffs. I was perplexed when some people were writing him off as 'finished' and not wanting us to offer him a contract this season, all players need regular game time to show their quality.

I thought he was good last season too, but he was not anywhere near the form he has shown this season. And yes, he should never have been written off. He has shown this season what a valuable asset he is. Experience and longevity. We really needed some of that. But still our most improved player. He seems to have bought into the #together tag.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I am just wondering where Ninja Elephant had to sit at the County Ground, Swindon to make him think we should sign Simon Cox. :whistle:

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Murray's flick to a static Baldock, simple return pass, first touch into the space and second to rifle into the corner.

I don't call that an assist, whoever played it. Murray did all the work there. Whipping in an inch perfect cross for someone to tap in is an assist, passing it to someone who then does all the hard work is just a pass for me, whoever had passed it. That video again highlights the difference in class between Murray and Hemed, Murray needs far less help. Hemed and Baldock almost always need the perfect ball, Murray doesn't, that's the difference and it would have been the difference between 2nd and, in my opinion, 1st last season. If we'd had Murray even just from January, we would have won the league.

It wasn't just a simple return pass though was it? He read Murray's intention, put himself in the perfect position to receive the flick pass, pulls a defender away creating space for Murray to run into, was on the same wave length as his strike partner, and then laid off the perfect return pass for Murray to then finish. His positioning and reading of the game is absolutely key to the goal.

No doubt that Murray should take the plaudits for a fantastic goal, but to say Baldocks contribution was a simple return pass alone is naive at best. If it weren't for Baldocks contribution, Murray doesn't score the goal it's as simple as that. Clear assist.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Beram will come in for Stephens who has not been top form....At moment though I would keep the Stephens/Sidwell partnership with Kayal on the bench until he is fully fit.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I thought he was good last season too, but he was not anywhere near the form he has shown this season. And yes, he should never have been written off. He has shown this season what a valuable asset he is. Experience and longevity. We really needed some of that. But still our most improved player. He seems to have bought into the #together tag.

IMO he is the best available midfielder we have - that will change when Kayal is back but at present he is doing a better job than Stpehens who a) seems to want to get booked b) seems at times not to be interested

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
IMO he is the best available midfielder we have - that will change when Kayal is back but at present he is doing a better job than Stpehens who a) seems to want to get booked b) seems at times not to be interested

Stephens is really not the player we had last season. Had his head turned and it looks like he's not really interested in us any more.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Right, his goal on Sat was fantastic. His cross for Muzza to score was brilliant too. Personally, I thought he was almost non-existent in the 1st half but, TBF, so were almost all of the team. He is, IMHO, fast improving, presumably with Muzza's help, so not sure I can call him an average Championship striker anymore. However, and this is vital, he needs meaningful competition for his 2nd striker place. Muzza and Tomer compete, but Sam B has no realistic competition for his place. None. This most be addressed in Jan. Here's hoping he does not get injured or suspended before the Jan window.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Stephens is really not the player we had last season. Had his head turned and it looks like he's not really interested in us any more.
If we go up I'm really not fussed about Stephens walking away 'on a free' as we'll sign someone even better for our 25 man PL squad.

Until then we keep him for the whole season and maximise our chance of actually getting to the PL.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It wasn't just a simple return pass though was it? He read Murray's intention, put himself in the perfect position to receive the flick pass, pulls a defender away creating space for Murray to run into, was on the same wave length as his strike partner, and then laid off the perfect return pass for Murray to then finish. His positioning and reading of the game is absolutely key to the goal.

No doubt that Murray should take the plaudits for a fantastic goal, but to say Baldocks contribution was a simple return pass alone is naive at best. If it weren't for Baldocks contribution, Murray doesn't score the goal it's as simple as that. Clear assist.
'bounced off him' 😂😂😂

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here