Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Stephens with protracted sulking (or the proverbial "head's not in the right place") and then a final day transfer request leaving his club with zero time to buy an equivalent player, isn't the greatest way to serve as a highly paid pro. He went down the route favoured by the likes of Modric, Sterling. Bridcutt and co. Many other players are reluctantly allowed to leave clubs, but all done with dignity, respect for their current clubs, and behind the scenes .... Ulloa to name just one deal. I'm pleased TB played hard ball with this selfish player.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Please let's not say that some players care more about the club than others just because they are outwardly more vocal than others. This may be their personality rather than how they feel about their club. For my money DS has always played like he cares which is displayed by his consistently good performances last season. I hope he stays and has a great season even if it's the last season we have of him (which I sincerely hope is not the case).

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Please let's not say that some players care more about the club than others just because they are outwardly more vocal than others. This may be their personality rather than how they feel about their club. For my money DS has always played like he cares which is displayed by his consistently good performances last season. I hope he stays and has a great season even if it's the last season we have of him (which I sincerely hope is not the case).

I agree on last year's performances. If Stephens comes out now, says despite asking for a move he is perfectly happy to be staying and willing to put the effort in for us, then I might agree with you. Unfortunately too much of the last few weeks has suggested that his attitude is not so great, culminating in today.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I agree on last year's performances. If Stephens comes out now, says despite asking for a move he is perfectly happy to be staying and willing to put the effort in for us, then I might agree with you. Unfortunately too much of the last few weeks has suggested that his attitude is not so great, culminating in today.

And he certainly ain't happy about today!

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
I think that hanging on to a reluctant Stephens only makes sense if we get a good striker in, otherwise I suspect we should just have taken the money.

From everything that CH has said Stephens has been the model professional throughout. One would hope he remains that way and sees out his contract with the same professionalism.

Cough...Cough..

Keith Patel

**** off Lino.
Apr 4, 2009
Brighton
"Sky sources understand Manchester United U21 captain James Weir is having a medical at Hull City.
Hull have been relatively quiet so far today, but we understand they could make as many as three deals before 11pm."

Hull coming back in for Dale?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
It's probably been mentioned but I wonder if our refusal to sell him to Burnley has anything to do with the underhand way they hijacked the Ward deal a couple of years ago.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Should we perhaps sell Stephens and bin the money to cut the seasons losses and settle for midtable and avoid relegation then go again 2017/18 season.

We've lost one league game in 6 months FFS!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I'm guessing you don't know him personally and probably haven't spoken to someone that does. If that's the case then your opinion about his attitude is based purely on the speculation of others on NSC. I haven't seen any reports from the Albion or the Argus that he has refused to play or travel etc. I haven't heard or seen any comments on here from people claiming to know him stating that he is refusing to play or travel etc, on the contrary, it seems everyone that has met him has a high opinion of his attitude.

The guy is having to consider whether to stay with us or to move to a club and sign a contract that could be his last chance for a big pay day. The amount of people slagging him off are probably the same ones that slagged of Calderon when he nearly went to Soton or last year slagging off Dunk who then had a great season last year.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
The whole thing is very very simple.
Even though Hull and Burnley are currently in the PL they are smaller clubs than BHA. A City and a Town that have nowhere near the style, panache and lure of Brighton and Hove. So quite right that Lord Tony of the Bloom is saying ...."NO!"

In two weeks all this will be forgotten and Dale will be as happy as Larry.....whoever he is?

TNBA

TTF

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Top post and very, very true. This 'no loyalty' thing people continuously spout isn't true of all players. Mainly just the selfish ones. Some actually care about the club they're at. Doesn't mean they wouldn't move if a big club came in etc but they still clearly care. (Ps- Burnley for a season in the prem isn't a big move IMO)...
Spot on, never begrudge a player to play in the big time, although it is clear some are just not bothered at which club they arrive at.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Spot on, never begrudge a player to play in the big time, although it is clear some are just not bothered at which club they arrive at.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

Agreed. There should definitely be something written into the contracts of all of our players stating that they are only allowed to leave BHA for a real Premier League club (Arsenal, Man United, Everton and a couple of others).

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
just got in and amazed DS is still a BHA player. Not sure whether this is good or bad for us. Guess there's arguments for both

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here