Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Orthodox Jewish schools' ban on women driving

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
sBBC Story
A ban on women driving their children to school issued by a Jewish education institution is "unacceptable", the Department for Education has said.
Leaders of the ultra-Orthodox Belz sect in north London wrote to parents saying "no child will be allowed to learn in our school" if their mother drives.
Women driving "goes against the laws of modesty within our society", it said.
The Home Office issued a response saying it was "developing a strategy to tackle extremism in all its forms".
The Belz, who originated in Ukraine in the early 19th Century, are an ultra-Orthodox sect who follow Haredi Judaism.
The letter, which was signed from the "spiritual management" of Belz institutions, said: "There has been an increase in incidences of mothers of our students who have begun driving cars, something that goes against the laws of modesty within our society."
This had led to "a lot of exasperation" among other parents", it said.
The group's leader in Israel, Rabbi Yissachar Dov Rokeach, had advised that "if a woman is driving a car, she cannot send her children to be educated in Belz institutions", it said.
It added that women with a "specific reason" to drive could submit a request to a special committee.

How ridiculous is this? Looks like women are second class citizens according to this Jewish sect.

Having lived in Stamford Hill, I have found the people reasonably friendly but their leaders are kooky trying to impose this stupid rule.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I have to say, the more women off the road the better..

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
If this was an Islamic school, the outrage would be far greater. Extremism in all forms is wrong, and the sooner the leaders of the school are sacked the better.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
If this was an Islamic school, the outrage would be far greater. Extremism in all forms is wrong, and the sooner the leaders of the school are sacked the better.

It is absolutely wrong in my eyes that women are treated as second class citizens.

The outrage would indeed have been greater if this particular religion were also advocating, and encouraging beheadings on innocent people, like your muslim savages are doing in this country.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
It is absolutely wrong in my eyes that women are treated as second class citizens.

The outrage would indeed have been greater if this particular religion were also advocating, and encouraging beheadings on innocent people, like your muslim savages are doing in this country.

It is wrong that anyone should be treated as a second class citizen, unless they've done something seriously wrong.

But maybe in the same way you think these muslim 'savages' are advocating beheadings, the Jewish community are advocating the massacre of thousands of people in Palestine?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

No. It's absolutely wrong, Jewish, Muslim, Methodism, Paganism or any other damn religion

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It is wrong that anyone should be treated as a second class citizen, unless they've done something seriously wrong.

But maybe in the same way you think these muslim 'savages' are advocating beheadings, the Jewish community are advocating the massacre of thousands of people in Palestine?
I don't think they're actually advocating massacring (sp?) them - they just want them to go away and leave the land for the Jews. Still unacceptable, mind.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I don't think they're actually advocating massacring (sp?) them - they just want them to go away and leave the land for the Jews. Still unacceptable, mind.

I'm not suggesting otherwise. Both religions have unacceptable extremist versions, and the majority of both do not in any way shape or form advocate ISIS or what the Israeli State is doing to Palestine.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

Says people shouldn't be treated as second class citizens and then goes on to call Muslims savages :facepalm:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
taken from a jewish forum on this issue

"Driving is a minefield of spiritual dangers that threaten the pure souls of the daughters of Israel. First of all a woman driver is forced to constantly handle a stick shift. Need I say more? That alone should make the practice assur.

A woman driver will be tempted to listen on the car radio to forbidden untzenius and non-Jewish music which permeates the public airwaves (with the one holy exception being the sacred kars4kids song).

Getting a drivers license forces women to study a book of non-Jewish rules and regulations (with no basis in halacha) called the traffic laws – a set of rules written by goyim and not our poskim and rebbeim. Then (heaven protect us) women must endure the practical drivers’ test seated alone in a car with a male examiner to whom she is not even related !

If these spiritual dangers were not enough women drivers would be forced to gaze at the horribly immodest and suggestive signs the highway department puts up such as “soft shoulder”, “yield” or “slippery when wet.” Enough said!"

sounds like a yank,but he must be taking the pee surely...?

what is it with religions treating women like crap.......silly idiots and no place in a modern civilization like UK
piss off and go live somewhere where your whacky hatred is tolerated

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Says people shouldn't be treated as second class citizens and then goes on to call Muslims savages :facepalm:

i think it was fairly obvious to all the quote by [MENTION=4790]cjd[/MENTION] was referring to the savages as those muslims that were " advocating, and encouraging beheadings on innocent people" and not muslims in general.......nice try though.

I regard muslims that are " advocating, and encouraging beheadings on innocent people" as savages as well...... dont you?

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
sBBC Story
A ban on women driving their children to school issued by a Jewish education institution is "unacceptable", the Department for Education has said.
Leaders of the ultra-Orthodox Belz sect in north London wrote to parents saying "no child will be allowed to learn in our school" if their mother drives.
Women driving "goes against the laws of modesty within our society", it said.
The Home Office issued a response saying it was "developing a strategy to tackle extremism in all its forms".
The Belz, who originated in Ukraine in the early 19th Century, are an ultra-Orthodox sect who follow Haredi Judaism.
The letter, which was signed from the "spiritual management" of Belz institutions, said: "There has been an increase in incidences of mothers of our students who have begun driving cars, something that goes against the laws of modesty within our society."
This had led to "a lot of exasperation" among other parents", it said.
The group's leader in Israel, Rabbi Yissachar Dov Rokeach, had advised that "if a woman is driving a car, she cannot send her children to be educated in Belz institutions", it said.
It added that women with a "specific reason" to drive could submit a request to a special committee.

How ridiculous is this? Looks like women are second class citizens according to this Jewish sect.

Having lived in Stamford Hill, I have found the people reasonably friendly but their leaders are kooky trying to impose this stupid rule.

Sounds fair enough to me

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
i think it was fairly obvious to all the quote by [MENTION=4790]cjd[/MENTION] was referring to the savages as those muslims that were " advocating, and encouraging beheadings on innocent people" and not muslims in general.......nice try though.

I regard muslims that are " advocating, and encouraging beheadings on innocent people" as savages as well...... dont you?

I suppose it depends on how you intemperate it. It read to me as a genetalisation and maybe it read that way because bringing up the atrosities committed by ISIS was totally unnecessary and bordered on deflecting. You obviously read it differently.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I suppose it depends on how you intemperate it. It read to me as a genetalisation and maybe it read that way because bringing up the atrosities committed by ISIS was totally unnecessary and bordered on deflecting. You obviously read it differently.

I did read your posting last night, but decided on balance that you probably don't quite comprehend the English language and I therefore chose to ignore you.

However, once again you brought the topic of my post up .

Just to be clear, I have often referred to the muslims cutting off peoples heads, and committing various atrocities as 'muslim savages'. I maintain that view.

You have referred to " call Muslims savages", In other words suggesting all Muslims.

I urge you to be more cautious in your use of the English language. The additional use of just one small 's' on the the word Muslim in a sentence can well be interpreted as a hate crime.

I will overlook your ignorance this time.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Q: What did the waiter ask the group of Jewish mothers?
A: "Is anything OK?"

Q: How many Jewish mothers does it take the change a light bulb?
A: (Sigh) Don't bother, I'll sit in the dark, I don't want to be a nuisance to anybody.

Avraham was driving down Hendon Road when he gets pulled over by a policeman.
Walking up to Avraham's car, the policeman says, "I've come to tell you that your wife fell out your car some 2 miles back."
Avraham replies, "Thank goodness, I thought I'd gone deaf."

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Religious nutters are religious nutters are religious nutters. You should see how these idiots try it on in Israel. You can get atacked for merely driving on the sabbath if you stray into the wrong areas of Jerusalem

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I did read your posting last night, but decided on balance that you probably don't quite comprehend the English language and I therefore chose to ignore you.

However, once again you brought the topic of my post up .

Just to be clear, I have often referred to the muslims cutting off peoples heads, and committing various atrocities as 'muslim savages'. I maintain that view.

You have referred to " call Muslims savages", In other words suggesting all Muslims.

I urge you to be more cautious in your use of the English language. The additional use of just one small 's' on the the word Muslim in a sentence can well be interpreted as a hate crime.

I will overlook your ignorance this time.

With all due respect I teach the English language you patronising ass. Any good teacher will tell their students that interpretation is important as the reader can intemperate your words in ways you did not intend if you leave it open ended or you do not say EXACTLY what you mean. Ok say I'll concede, you didn't say that ALL Muslims were savages but neither do you clarify where you stood on whether it was as a minority, majority or as a community they had your distain. I therefore interpreted your post as follows;

Brings up something irrelevant within the context of the discussion which seems to be in order to deflect worse crimes upon members of the Islamic community, I question your motive for doing so, then you call them savages, unclear whether this is directed at whole community or individuals. Decide on the former as I reason you bring up the acts of Isis to show your dislike for Islam.

So I'll forgive you for being a patronising ass and for leaving your point open to interpretation. In future be clear and concise so mistakes like this don't happen again.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here