Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's iOS 8 day

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If you've only owned the iPhone up to the iPhone 3, you don't really have any good comparisons to make.

I agree with Voroshilov. I owned an iPhone up to 4 and then switched to a Sony SP Android. It's extremely liberating, not feeling like you're chasing the latest technology and the iPhone really, really started to annoy me with battery life, the updates, the all-round experience actually.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Swipe gestures in mail, predictive words in keyboard, I message acts more like Whatsapp, spotlight searches integrated with safari search, favourite contacts available after double tap of home button....erm....iCloud drive is like Dropbox 5gb free, camera has a time lapse feature....not sure if I've found anymore but I've typed this a lot quicker!

Is that really what this new update has given you, such old software now - swipe mail gestures and predictive words has been on android for years and icloud - you better not be taking any naughty pictures otherwise they will be all over the internet as it has just been proven that its pretty easy to get access to

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
This isn't correct, though? Anything you've purchased this works for, anything you've ripped will not sync across devices unless you're using iTunes match.

Ah. I assumed he was talking about stuff he'd bought - but either way, your music is on your phone/ipod or a computer, right? So as long as you have one or the other...

(what does iTunes Match actually do? I know nothing about it...)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I agree with Voroshilov. I owned an iPhone up to 4 and then switched to a Sony SP Android. It's extremely liberating, not feeling like you're chasing the latest technology and the iPhone really, really started to annoy me with battery life, the updates, the all-round experience actually.

The updates? Of what? There tends me one major OS update a year with, maybe 3 or 4 patches/updates in between. Updates is one of iOS's strengths over Android where users get abandoned on old versions of the OS because the phone manufacturer has moved on to other handsets and doesn't want to, or can't afford to, work the deployment of a new OS to past handsets. This leaves the majority of Android users on old versions of the OS that don't support the latest features and, worse still, have known insecurities.

Android 'Kitkat' has been out for nearly a year and still only 24% of Android users, according to Google's own figures, have it.

iOS 7 came out about the same time, and 92% of Apple users are running the most recent version (pre the release of iOS 8).

I have a lot of time for what Sony are trying to do with their phones. They are building really high quality, well-designed phones that hark back to Sony's glory days when they were largely what Apple are now. Unfortunately they are selling very few of them as Sony continue to haemorrhage cash and rack up massive losses.

"Sony’s warning of its impending 230 billion yen (£1.3 billion) loss comes after its mobile phones were about as popular as landlines in the desert, forcing it to shed 180 billion yen from the value of its mobile division." - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...res-tank-on-fresh-profit-warning-9740617.html

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
My iphone 5 has completey crashed since the update. I get a flashing apple screen when plugged in, and trying the reset trick does not work. A factory reset is probably what it needs but cant get it turned on to do this. Not showing up in itunes either despite a full charge.

Anyone know of any secret tricks?

From this page...http://www.imore.com/how-downgrade-ios-711-ios-8-beta-iphone-and-ipad

"Turn your iPhone or iPad running iOS 8 off.
Hold down the Home button and plug it into your computer. Keep holding the Home button until you see a screen telling you to connect to iTunes.
iTunes should show you a popup saying that there is an iPhone or iPad that is in Recovery Mode and needs to be restored before you can use it. Click OK.
Click on Restore iPhone... — or Restore iPad if that's what you're using.
A popup will appear asking if you're sure you'd like to restore the iPhone or iPad in question. Click on Restore and Update.
iTunes will then download the most recent official firmware and install it — which in this case will be iOS 7.1.1.
That should be it. Once your iPhone or iPad reboots you should be back on iOS 7.1.1 again."

It's info about how to get rid of iOS8 beta from a few months back but may well at least get you back on your feet. Useful?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Is that really what this new update has given you, such old software now - swipe mail gestures and predictive words has been on android for years and icloud - you better not be taking any naughty pictures otherwise they will be all over the internet as it has just been proven that its pretty easy to get access to

Wow, that is amazing, thanks.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Updates is one of iOS's strengths over Android where users get abandoned on old versions of the OS because the phone manufacturer has moved on to other handsets and doesn't want to, or can't afford to, work the deployment of a new OS to past handsets. This leaves the majority of Android users on old versions of the OS that don't support the latest features and, worse still, have known insecurities.

But if I'm not chasing the latest OS or the latest phone then I'm quite happy on the old software. As for known insecurities, I think this is rather overplayed by the software companies eager for you to update. I can't recall too many serious breaches (happy to be corrected) and there must be millions upon millions of users on very old Android OS with known 'security weaknesses'. I presume most of these celebrities who have had their nudey pictures taken from the iCloud all had the latest iPhones available at the time and it didn't seem to stop that so just protection do you get with a new OS over my old Android one?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But if I'm not chasing the latest OS or the latest phone then I'm quite happy on the old software. As for known insecurities, I think this is rather overplayed by the software companies eager for you to update. I can't recall too many serious breaches (happy to be corrected) and there must be millions upon millions of users on very old Android OS with known 'security weaknesses'. I presume most of these celebrities who have had their nudey pictures taken from the iCloud all had the latest iPhones available at the time and it didn't seem to stop that so just protection do you get with a new OS over my old Android one?

No one HAS to install the latest version of an OS. I've not installed iOS 8 on my iPad mini yet, for example, and it's not been haranguing me to do so.

Wasn't the core security flaw in the leaked photos thing a combination of weak passwords and phishing? If people give up their passwords, knowingly or otherwise, then bad stuff can happen. The platform has little to do with it.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
that so just protection do you get with a new OS over my old Android one?

Wasn't the core security flaw in the leaked photos thing a combination of weak passwords and phishing? If people give up their passwords, knowingly or otherwise, then bad stuff can happen. The platform has little to do with it.

Don't have the time to debate on security features of Apple/Android.

If you're genuinely interested, see the link:

Google - iOS 8 Security

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No one HAS to install the latest version of an OS. I've not installed iOS 8 on my iPad mini yet, for example, and it's not been haranguing me to do so.

Was it? Fair enough.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Can you downgrade? I'm sure I've read you can't (and I've tried with no luck too).

I think you need a copy of an old signed ipsw file (you may already have one on your computer or you can find these on the internet) Then you can either put your Apple device in recovery mode or preferably open iTunes, choose your device, then hold down shift and click restore and then should be able to select your older signed file. Lots of guides on the internet explaining it better than I am. Importantly you need the old signed file which is why you need to downgrade pretty quickly. All a bit of a hassle but can be done.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Dec 29, 2011
I think you need a copy of an old signed ipsw file (you may already have one on your computer or you can find these on the internet) Then you can either put your Apple device in recovery mode or preferably open iTunes, choose your device, then hold down shift and click restore and then should be able to select your older signed file. Lots of guides on the internet explaining it better than I am. Importantly you need the old signed file which is why you need to downgrade pretty quickly. All a bit of a hassle but can be done.

I never had less than iOS 7 so won't be able to do that I don't think. The newer operating systems aren't designed to work with the hardware of older phones, so iOS7/8 can break certain features of iPhone 4/4s. Seeing as these phones are usually past their 1 year warranty, you have to buy a replacement. It's all a bit of a scam really, however Apple will keep getting away with it until the Apple fan boys realise buying a new £500 phone every year or so is a complete waste of money (which I think, based on meeting a few, is still a decade away yet).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I never had less than iOS 7 so won't be able to do that I don't think. The newer operating systems aren't designed to work with the hardware of older phones, so iOS7/8 can break certain features of iPhone 4/4s. Seeing as these phones are usually past their 1 year warranty, you have to buy a replacement. It's all a bit of a scam really, however Apple will keep getting away with it until the Apple fan boys realise buying a new £500 phone every year or so is a complete waste of money (which I think, based on meeting a few, is still a decade away yet).

Is it a scam? I'm on a relatively new MacBookPro but still run Lion OS as I know some of my software won't work on the new OS's. Even though the upgrades are free - I'm not forced into updating.

You can't put iOS8 on an iPhone 4 (the software won't allow you to), and it works fine on a 4S. My Dad still uses my old 3G on iOS 4 or 5 I think. No one has forced anyone to update, it doesn't let you update in the hardware is out of date. I know loads of people still with 3G's and 4's - they just stick with the iOS that works.

How can you innovate if you can't bring out new software improvements or new hardware? I suppose the only criticism is Apple being more clear in - you don't have to download this if you don't want to….which to me is the same as signs for people that say 'mind your head', there will always be the ones that bang their head...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here