Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Common sayings people get wrong

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Here, here :nono:

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! Hugely annoying.

Usually seen on sites like Mumsnet, or the Argus comments pages, frequently following up posts like "rip babez heavans gained another angle 2nite"

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Entirely rational. File under the insidious creep of "season" (instead of "series") and "gotten" (instead of "become").

Gotten is old English. Nothing wrong with that!

The difference is American English and British English.

Gotten in old English is ill-gotten (gains) as in illegally obtained.

Gotten in America is instead of 'have got'.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Another one that is creeping in to common parlance is free instead of three.
As one born in Yorkshire this should only happen if negotiating a very large discount on a deal ;-)

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I used to know someone who said Ambermance instead of Ambulance.

Also, at my last place of work one of the senior managers, who led the daily stand up meeting would most days use the phrase "Would you like to appraise us of progress".

I could possibly apprise them, but I'd find it hard to appraise them all, I hardly knew some of them.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Think that's just up North or Wales.

I've definitely heard people say it around here, but not too often.

Your post reminded me of something else I hate... When people say they are going 'down' somewhere, when it's clearly not down! Like "I'm going down to London this weekend."

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012
Many already said so below may include duplicates - I've also been enlightened myself on 'dishwater' and 'begs the question'

- Pedal stool instead of pedestal
- double ended sword instead of double edged!
- bought and brought being mixed up gets on my moobs
- nuffink and everyfink
- how much instead of how many - when in context and vice versa
- how's 'yous' instead of how are you all

Not common but knew someone once who used 'duplicitous' when talking about having to perform a task more than once......

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Another one that is creeping in to common parlance is free instead of three.
As one born in Yorkshire this should only happen if negotiating a very large discount on a deal ;-)
Not so much creeping into modern parlance - it's been around for years in parts of the country; dialect, not language - it's just the way 'th' is sounded. It's not that they're 'fick', any more than people who pronounce 'by' as 'bah' and 'gum' as 'goom'.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As is War sester sauce (Worcester sauce) and

Lie sester (Leicester) etc.

My wife was born and brought up in Oxfordshire, quite near to Bicester and very often got Shermans asking her the way to Bi sester. Serves her right for confusing condone and condemn and not coming up with enough puns.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've definitely heard people say it around here, but not too often.

Your post reminded me of something else I hate... When people say they are going 'down' somewhere, when it's clearly not down! Like "I'm going down to London this weekend."

That's a strange one, because you always go up to the capital, but people up north, go down south.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Not so much creeping into modern parlance - it's been around for years in parts of the country; dialect, not language - it's just the way 'th' is sounded. It's not that they're 'fick', any more than people who pronounce 'by' as 'bah' and 'gum' as 'goom'.

Not when you here them saying "There were free of them" & you are not sure whether they were telling you how many there were or that someone had been liberated from something.
I am not talking about dialect (heaven only knows I can't say "the" correctly) but about the sloppy use of the English language.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Also meet a lot of people out and about who say they've come 'up' to Brighton for the weekend, yet they've come from up north somewhere.

On a another note... which of the following is correct:
'Less haste, more speed'
'More haste, less speed'

I've always said the first one, meaning if you stop rushing, you'll actually get it done faster because you'll make fewer mistakes. But my Mum says the second one, which basically means the same thing but in the opposite way.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
I've always known it as 'More haste, less speed' which does mean the same thing but is used as a cautionary proverb.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not when you here them saying "There were free of them" & you are not sure whether they were telling you how many there were or that someone had been liberated from something.
Fair enough, but can't say I've ever heard that one. 'Free of 'em', maybe, but not the mix of correct and incorrect pronunciation of 'th'.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Also meet a lot of people out and about who say they've come 'up' to Brighton for the weekend, yet they've come from up north somewhere.

On a another note... which of the following is correct:
'Less haste, more speed'
'More haste, less speed'

I've always said the first one, meaning if you stop rushing, you'll actually get it done faster because you'll make fewer mistakes. But my Mum says the second one, which basically means the same thing but in the opposite way.

'More haste, less speed' every day!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here