Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Season Ticket Match Upgrade - Taking the Mick

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Who on earth is going to pay £42 for match day ticket. Maybe if you are on holiday or visiting relative. However if you are a supporter who cannot afford season ticket or can only go to half the games no way. Appreciate you can buy in corner for less but whats the point if your friends are not there. Why dont they reduce prices to say £32

Agree, especially with the game being on Sky, if they sold for £35 that would be plenty, and I cannot understand Forest being a Cat A game

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So last season an upgrade was to the equivalent season ticket price, this season to the actual adult single ticket price ?

Was this change advised if true

Last edited:

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
My dad's got a season ticket this year but will probably miss a few games for health reasons. I had planned on upgrading it from a senior ticket to a normal adult one for those games so someone else can take his place. I'd be fine with paying the difference in ST pro rata prices, as that seems fair, but upgrading to a full price single ticket? No chance. As such the seat will just go unused if he's not here.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I think that the OP has been overcharged here. A friend has just upgraded thus:

'New' Adult £21.52
'Returned' 65+ - £13.91 +£1.50
'Merchandise Ad hoc extra' £0.89
Total £10.00
So both new and refund are at the pro rate season ticket price.

P.S Do I need a new thread for "Definition of Ad Hoc Extra" ?

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
£42 & it's on TV! - the club need to consider this more. At least it's 1st home game of the season, otherwise the ground would be half empty.

£60 min for evening match experience v night in pub watching on TV in likely better atmosphere (unless you sit in or near north stand) & likely monster hang over & chances (to get laid & you can't remember what you did the night before)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think that the OP has been overcharged here. A friend has just upgraded thus:

'New' Adult £21.52
'Returned' 65+ - £13.91 +£1.50
'Merchandise Ad hoc extra' £0.89
Total £10.00
So both new and refund are at the pro rate season ticket price.

P.S Do I need a new thread for "Definition of Ad Hoc Extra" ?

Rounding up to whole £ rather then charging the odd pence

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I assume you think £42 to watch 90 ish minutes of football is good value then ? Would you like to buy my magic beans ?

So game live on Sky or BBC and cheapest seat is £50 with top price £250.

Would you go or not.

You seem unwilling to pay £42 so assume you would stay at home or watch in the pub.

Oh and by the way the game is a play off final or a League/FA Cup final.

So just maybe you would be willing to spend more

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So game live on Sky or BBC and cheapest seat is £50 with top price £250.

Would you go or not.

You seem unwilling to pay £42 so assume you would stay at home or watch in the pub.

Oh and by the way the game is a play off final or a League/FA Cup final.

So just maybe you would be willing to spend more

I never have, and never will pay £50 to watch a football match.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I assume you think £42 to watch 90 ish minutes of football is good value then ? Would you like to buy my magic beans ?

As it has ever been, supply and demand fella, supply and demand; the tenets of our good capitalist society. Some people think £42 is good value, some don't.

As to your magic beans, I won't buy them but I know lots of people are gullible enough not to recognise a charlatan.

As it has ever been, supply and demand fella, supply and demand; the tenets of our good capitalist society. Some people think £42 is good value, some don't.

As to your magic beans, I won't buy them but I know lots of people are gullible enough not to recognise a charlatan.

£42 might have been seen as reasonable for premiere footie that's where the demand came from??? How many empty seats over our first two games around 32,000?:moo: Could blame the trains for 3/4k of that. Would be good if the fans had to cover the running costs of the side,lets suppose another £500 was put on each s/t to break even,how happy would they be with modern footie:ffsparr:

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
Emailed support services based on the various upgrade discrepancies highlighted in this thread - received the following

Thank you for your email.

Apologies those booking fees should not have applied in this instance. Unfortunately the system is not permitting me to refund your card. In light of this mistake I have arranged a refund of the £3 which I can raise as a cheque and will send to you shortly.

Over the close season we have reviewed a number of our policies with one area being matchday upgrades. In the case of upgrades the person attending on the ticket is not a season ticket holder, therefore we felt that the price charged to this person should be the matchday ticket price, rather than a pro rata season ticket price. This has been partly put in place to stop the issue of supporters purchasing junior season tickets at the low price and then upgrading the ticket for a large number of games to save on paying the full adult season ticket price or buying match tickets multiple times. We found last season a number of supporters who were abusing the system this way and in actual fact the junior season ticket was never used by a junior.

I am sorry if you are disappointed by this policy change however we believe it to be the fairest option that a supporter attending who is not a season ticket holder pays the matchday rate. The terms and conditions on upgrade have changed this season as follows (see https://www.seagullstickets.com/screenloader.aspx?page=documents/html/tandc.html):

3.2 You may not resell or transfer the Season Ticket to a Guest without the express written consent of the Club given at the Club's absolute discretion. Any resale or transfer of the season ticket will only be permitted except where the same takes place in respect of an individual match and in consideration of no payment or benefit in excess of the face value of a ticket to that Match and such transfer does not take place during the course of any business or for the purpose of facilitating any third party's business. Any resale or transfer to any Guest is hereby subject to the Terms and Conditions of Entry which will (save for any rights to transfer under this clause) apply to that Guest as if he/she was the original purchaser of the Season Ticket (and you must inform the Guest of this). Any such transfers in respect of an individual match for which the guest is of a different, higher value age band, will be charged an upgrade fee in order to enter the ground. Any such upgrades can be processed no more than six times per season ticket holder per season and will be charged at the price of the match ticket minus the pro-rata value of the season ticket, rounded up to the nearest £.

Kind regards

So there you go, another change buried in the T&Cs, although this doesn't explain the pro-rata upgrade on an earlier post, nor the booking fee differences on another.

I receive many emails from the club - key T&C changes like the one in February about upgrades should be communicated with more transparency. Also still limited to 6 upgrades per season.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Hang on, if you're upgrading a ticket, you'll always be doing it for a non-ST holder, so essentially they're now saying pro-rata upgrades are not allowed. I thought you were allowed up to 6 times and now it seems they've reneged on that too.

As the [MENTION=5001]The Merry Prankster[/MENTION] says, a little of the love dies.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
I sometimes "downgrade" my ticket to move stands when my friend cannot make a game and he's in the South Stand (I'm in central WSL). The club are always ok with this as they can sell-on my primo ticket, but it's always a headache when I have to explain why. I have yet to pay an admin fee for this!

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Hang on, if you're upgrading a ticket, you'll always be doing it for a non-ST holder, so essentially they're now saying pro-rata upgrades are not allowed. I thought you were allowed up to 6 times and now it seems they've reneged on that too.

As the [MENTION=5001]The Merry Prankster[/MENTION] says, a little of the love dies.

Nah, it says you can sell them for face value or lower, as long as it's not being resold online. Basically you can give/sell to mates etc... for face value or less. You can't sell or transfer the whole season ticket though, just on a match by match basis.

It's not clear though. It says "Any resale or transfer of the season ticket will only be permitted except where the same takes place in respect of an individual match", which only makes sense in context if "only" is changed to "not", or if "except" is removed. I think the sentence was redrafted and someone messed up. Otherwise the whole section makes no sense at all.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nah, it says you can sell them for face value or lower, as long as it's not being resold online. Basically you can give/sell to mates etc... for face value or less. You can't sell or transfer the whole season ticket though, just on a match by match basis.

It's not clear though. It says "Any resale or transfer of the season ticket will only be permitted except where the same takes place in respect of an individual match", which only makes sense in context if "only" is changed to "not", or if "except" is removed. I think the sentence was redrafted and someone messed up. Otherwise the whole section makes no sense at all.

That's not the point being made though which was about upgrading a concessionary ST - previously I could upgrade my son's U18 ticket to an adult ticket, with the difference charged being the equivalent adult pro-rata ST price for the seat (ie if his was £15 and mine was £29, I would pay £14). If I do this now, the upgrade price will be against a full single day ticket price (so instead of the £14, I would now pay the difference between his £15 ticket and the full price ticket - £42 in the case above)

I can hand (or sell) his (or my) ST to someone else in the same age category without any issues as you say.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
That's not the point being made though which was about upgrading a concessionary ST - previously I could upgrade my son's U18 ticket to an adult ticket, with the difference charged being the equivalent adult pro-rata ST price for the seat (ie if his was £15 and mine was £29, I would pay £14). If I do this now, the upgrade price will be against a full single day ticket price (so instead of the £14, I would now pay the difference between his £15 ticket and the full price ticket - £42 in the case above)

I can hand (or sell) his (or my) ST to someone else in the same age category without any issues as you say.

Sorry. To answer [MENTION=687]Carrot Cruncher[/MENTION]'s question properly, you can transfer and you can upgrade up six times still "Any such upgrades can be processed no more than six times per season ticket holder per season and will be charged at the price of the match ticket minus the pro-rata value of the season ticket, rounded up to the nearest £.".

The new costing is as you say. It's costly but not utterly unreasonable. However, I do think they should drop the six upgrade cap if they're removing the favourable pricing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here