Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has the High Court abolished school term time?

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
I think you should hang your head in shame. If you had not taken your children out of school rather than getting average As and Bs in the their school exams they would have achieved nothing lower than an A and would have had a majority of A*s. I wouldn't be surprised if your children haven't been scared for life by your willingness to put family holidays before their education. Clearly their post school qualifications reflect that they did not take holidays during university term time.
What a pathetic response!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Let's be honest about this. No child needs to have a foreign summer holiday, and that is what this is really all about. There are some parents who will claim that they want to take their child travelling with them to the Andes in Peru, there are others who will tell us that they can save thousands by going to Disneyland in June as opposed to July, and there are those who will tell us that they cannot afford Torremilos in August but can in late September.

It is not about the needs of the child in these cases, it is about the wants of the parent, the adult, who does not want to forego their god given right to do whatever the hell they want. Yes they had kids, but that does not mean that they should give anything up in their eyes, or forsake a few of life's little luxuries for the sake of their child's future. Two weeks in the sun, or trekking across Madagascar is protected under the human rights convention isn't it?

For those that cannot afford two weeks in Disneyland in August, go to Greece instead, for those that look at the savings by going to Majorca in September rather than August maybe try camping, and if 10 days in France is really beyond your means then maybe miss out this year to be able to go for longer next year?

I have been to most of Europe, the Caribbean, southeast Asia and Australia. I did not leave the UK until I was 18 for my first 'lads' holiday as my mother told me that I could pay for my own foreign holidays as I would appreciate them more that way, she was right. The world has changed and moved on, but do not confuse travel to benefit the child with travel cos the adult feels like they deserve it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Let's be honest about this. No child needs to have a foreign summer holiday, and that is what this is really all about. There are some parents who will claim that they want to take their child travelling with them to the Andes in Peru, there are others who will tell us that they can save thousands by going to Disneyland in June as opposed to July, and there are those who will tell us that they cannot afford Torremilos in August but can in late September.

It is not about the needs of the child in these cases, it is about the wants of the parent, the adult, who does not want to forego their god given right to do whatever the hell they want. Yes they had kids, but that does not mean that they should give anything up in their eyes, or forsake a few of life's little luxuries for the sake of their child's future. Two weeks in the sun, or trekking across Madagascar is protected under the human rights convention isn't it?

For those that cannot afford two weeks in Disneyland in August, go to Greece instead, for those that look at the savings by going to Majorca in September rather than August maybe try camping, and if 10 days in France is really beyond your means then maybe miss out this year to be able to go for longer next year?

I have been to most of Europe, the Caribbean, southeast Asia and Australia. I did not leave the UK until I was 18 for my first 'lads' holiday as my mother told me that I could pay for my own foreign holidays as I would appreciate them more that way, she was right. The world has changed and moved on, but do not confuse travel to benefit the child with travel cos the adult feels like they deserve it.
How long have you been a member of the government, completely out of touch with reality?

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015

Do you have a problem with parents wanting a nice foreign holiday with their children?Have you considered there might be some parents who prefer Florida to Weymouth.Are you sayingh children in no way benefit from going abroad?What a strange viewpoint you have.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So why is it essential that kids have foreign holidays?
Actually, this discussion was about family holidays, not necessarily foreign ones at all. Those parents likely to go trekking in the Andes, to quote one of your examples, may well be in position not to bother too much about the cost. The ones we're talking about, the ones who are victims of this government's draconian busy-bodying, are the ones for whom a family holiday is perhaps a week in a caravan in Cornwall, or the Isle of Wight or wherever - nothing fancy, just a basic family holiday. Love and memories far more important than some exotic destination. Affordable in June or September, but costing three or four times as much in August, just too much for this particular hard working family to afford.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
We go camping most years. Holidays and memories don't have to be made on expensive vacations.

You're right.Great memories can be made when you're stuck inside your Haven's cabin because it's chucking it down outside.You'll have a great time even when your friends whatsapp you pics of them getting burnt on a spanish beach.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
Our schools are so underfunded, so desperate for resources, premises, have had school fields built upon, have too larger class sizes, limited resource for children with particular requirements/assistance and you could go on and on. But what is sad is that people get their knickers in a twist about kids having the odd life enhancing and enriching family breaks in term time. We've all once again been hood winked in to thinking it's our fault. Consecutive governments have consistently cut and underfunded our education system and for a civilised comparatively wealthy nation our education of children is exceedingly average. But no lets criticise a parent for taking their children out of school for a week rather than the government treat our nations children with any real respect and provide facilities for a world class education system. The argument for term time absence has valid arguments on both sides, it is just a shame people are more animated about it than the actual quality of education their children receive.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You're right.Great memories can be made when you're stuck inside your Haven's cabin because it's chucking it down outside.You'll have a great time even when your friends whatsapp you pics of them getting burnt on a spanish beach.

ha ha you've just told me so much about yourself in such a simple paragraph.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Our schools are so underfunded, so desperate for resources, premises, have had school fields built upon, have too larger class sizes, limited resource for children with particular requirements/assistance and you could go on and on. But what is sad is that people get their knickers in a twist about kids having the odd life enhancing and enriching family breaks in term time. We've all once again been hood winked in to thinking it's our fault. Consecutive governments have consistently cut and underfunded our education system and for a civilised comparatively wealthy nation our education of children is exceedingly average. But no lets criticise a parent for taking their children out of school for a week rather than the government treat our nations children with any real respect and provide facilities for a world class education system. The argument for term time absence has valid arguments on both sides, it is just a shame people are more animated about it than the actual quality of education their children receive.

Very well put

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
it is just a shame people are more animated about it than the actual quality of education their children receive.

Speak for yourself, for the past 2 years I've given up my spare time as a school governor and the wife is chair of the PTA. Can assure you I'm more than animated on the quality of education, but also that kids need to be there as much as possible to receive it.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

So the earlier poster who mentioned that both his children had achieved firsts at university means what to you, they were the exception or that UK degrees are worth less than other nations that you believe are investing more into education, Surely it is all about hard work while at school where parents have a part to play in the overall upbringing of their children, We could then have a debate on the way that many parents effectively abandon their children to the TV or smart phone games, or throw them outside for the day without taking any interest in their upbringing, which is not the fault of the education system.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
Speak for yourself, for the past 2 years I've given up my spare time as a school governor and the wife is chair of the PTA. Can assure you I'm more than animated on the quality of education, but also that kids need to be there as much as possible to receive it.
I guess that's my point though. You state 'as much as possible'. Who are you, or any government minister or any headteacher better placed to tell a parent what their child needs and when. The majority of parents all struggle to continually help their children to the best of their ability. Some of the kids I went to school with and attended the least are the most successful business people, some of those who were in attendance the most offer the least to society. Parenting IMO is based on instinct. School is one aspect of education but only one. Kids are so wonderfully different and some left to their fantastic imaginations and the gifts given when they were born with will learn so much more out of the classroom and out of the school environment. We channel and pigeon hole way too much. Let the responsible parents (and you being a governor will know the responsible ones in your school) do what they think is best to bring up their kids. Of course it needs to have some perimeters and a good headteacher should be allowed to formulate his own opinions on the individual requirements of his pupils, rather than just dictating an absence policy based on whether it buggers up his school rating or not.

Last edited:

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
So the earlier poster who mentioned that both his children had achieved firsts at university means what to you, they were the exception or that UK degrees are worth less than other nations that you believe are investing more into education, Surely it is all about hard work while at school where parents have a part to play in the overall upbringing of their children, We could then have a debate on the way that many parents effectively abandon their children to the TV or smart phone games, or throw them outside for the day without taking any interest in their upbringing, which is not the fault of the education system.
It means to me, that they continually through their parenting considered what was best for their children and should be very proud of their achievements. Perhaps they assessed the correct level of school attendance at any given time, perhaps they had many enriching holidays full of family value in or out of term time. I would wager though, that they new more about their children's happiness, learning ability, well being than you, I or government minister.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
If you've got kids and you can't afford to take them away during school holidays, then choose a holiday which you CAN afford for ****s sake. Crock of shit people not being able to "afford" a holiday - even spending time at home with your kids is a holiday. The problem is when the parents want an adult holiday, and want a holiday where Ruby and Oliver can be put in a "kids care" scheme, whilst Chantal (Mummy) and Gary (Daddy) can sit by the pool drinking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here