Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] THE FA CUP 3rd Round Draw 7pm BBC1 03-12-18 [Away to Bournemouth]

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So. This is a bad draw. But can we actually try and win it. I went to Southampton in the Carabao Cup and Hughton's approach to that made Mark Hughes look like he had a ruthless winning mentality. What about doing what Bournemouth will undoubtedly do? Play most or all of the first team and send them out to win in the way that you would a league game. That way we might get a better draw in the next round. We don't have a game for 7 days after, which is Liverpool so I don't see any reason not to go for it

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
So, only 2 all Premier League ties and we get the worst combination of all. Away and to Bmuff. Life can be so cruel at times!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
So. This is a bad draw. But can we actually try and win it. I went to Southampton in the Carabao Cup and Hughton's approach to that made Mark Hughes look like he had a ruthless winning mentality. What about doing what Bournemouth will undoubtedly do? Play most or all of the first team and send them out to win in the way that you would a league game. That way we might get a better draw in the next round. We don't have a game for 7 days after, which is Liverpool so I don't see any reason not to go for it

It was one goal scored by Charlie Austin (who always scores against us) in the last minute, so your description is harsh.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
For all those hoping/expecting to see Hughton select some of the U-23s - you are a lot more confident in that than I am. In his four FA Cup campaigns with Albion so far, he has consistently used the FA Cup competition to rotate members of his first team squad, but hasn't given the youngsters an opportunity. It is only Rob Hunt that has been given a start, against MK Dons in January 2017, but even he had become the reserve right-back by that stage, starting all 3 of the League Cup ties and being named on the bench 12 times in the Championship (and coming on as a sub against Burton Albion). Of course, Hughton then got Tomori in on loan and that was the last we saw of Hunt.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So, only 2 all Premier League ties and we get the worst combination of all. Away and to Bmuff. Life can be so cruel at times!!!!!!!!!!!!

The gods of the FA Cup saw that we dropped Murray for Locadia at Old Trafford last season. They had to teach us a lesson this year as a result.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Button
Montoya Balogun White Bong
March Bissouma Kayal Jahanbakhsh
Locadia Connolly​

At least we'll get to see a few different players. Well, the few hundred who go to every game regardless of whatever our intent, desire and ambition may (or may not) be.

We might see Burn, possibly Schelotto or Suttner.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Steele
Schelotto Balogun Burn Bong
Alireza Bissouma Kayal Gyokeres
Locadia Connolly

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
For all those hoping/expecting to see Hughton select some of the U-23s - you are a lot more confident in that than I am. In his four FA Cup campaigns with Albion so far, he has consistently used the FA Cup competition to rotate members of his first team squad, but hasn't given the youngsters an opportunity. It is only Rob Hunt that has been given a start, against MK Dons in January 2017, but even he had become the reserve right-back by that stage, starting all 3 of the League Cup ties and being named on the bench 12 times in the Championship (and coming on as a sub against Burton Albion). Of course, Hughton then got Tomori in on loan and that was the last we saw of Hunt.

Let's not forget we are playing away at West Ham on the 2nd, so I guess there will be a big change around for the cup.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Button
Montoya Balogun White Bong
March Bissouma Kayal Jahanbakhsh
Locadia Connolly​

At least we'll get to see a few different players. Well, the few hundred who go to every game regardless of whatever our intent, desire and ambition may (or may not) be.

Asian Cup so no Alireza Jahanbakhsh and Matt Ryan.

Jason Steele to play.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

I wonder if in hindsight he had preferred to concentrate on the league and not have that meaningless game versus Leicester during this busy period and keep his job. I much preferred Hughtons approach to the carabao cup as an opportunity for younger players and fringe first team players.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Perhaps our first choice starters will get the opportunity to take a short planned winter break after 2 January, after a busy Christmas and New Year period where we have 4 matches in 11 days.

Our players on international duty will have had no time for a break (injuries and suspension apart) since the start of the season in August. Perhaps our first team would have a better chance of winning their following 2 league matches against Liverpool and Manchester United if they take a well earned break to recuperate and recover from niggling injuries.

The chances are one of the top 6 clubs will win the FA Cup anyway, so using the early cup round(s) to give squad players and promising U23 players the opportunity to play competitive game(s) will benefit us if we need to call upon them to play for the first team during the rest of the season.

Retaining a place in the Premier League is far more important than winning a 3rd round FA Cup match against Bournemouth away. That said, our U23 team is performing well, and our first team squad players will be motivated to prove themselves worthy of being first team starters. Maybe one or two of our squad players will be impressive enough in "the shop window" at the start of the January transfer window to induce other clubs to lay out good transfer fees for them, raising far more cash for the club than could be earned from a short cup run.

We might also beat Bournemouth too.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here