Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit – what will happen?

Brexit – what will happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
The government are cowards. The whips will do whatever it takes to get a majority on board with May's plan and a crisis will be averted at the eleventh hour: she'll get it through and we'll leave at the end of March as the PM intended.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The footage isn't conclusive one way or the other, the boats are too dangerously close together and there's nothing of what was going on at the wheels and there are obviously 2 sides to that dispute, but if you're rammed by a 30 metre trawler from behind, irrespective of who actually cut across who, you would throw everything you get your hands on at it, as you could be in the water and going under it's bow quite quickly.
Yes, but as I said, it wasn't fishermen on the 10m boat that were throwing things, it was fishermen on a French 30m boat.

Anyway, enough distraction from Brexit already.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Voted other.

May won't get her plan through, the EU concede a little ground, probably on the unilateral (only the EU can agree to end) one way backstop which is totally unreasonable and they know it. A new vote then goes through.
Er, shouldn't you have voted "May doesn’t get plan through, she gets new deal with EU, result unknown"

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Yes, but as I said, it wasn't fishermen on the 10m boat that were throwing things, it was fishermen on a French 30m boat.

Anyway, enough distraction from Brexit already.

Yes, but the 'large French boat', as you called it, was hit also and again their crew did nothing British fishermen wouldn't in one of their own being rammed, as well as for themselves. It's a dangerous business being a fishermen, and they'll look after themselves by foul means or fair on land as well as at sea. Very entitled too some of them and a law unto themselves - It's no longer open, but it always amused me that Sussex Police and Hastings Borough Council used to turn a blind eye to the very flexible opening hours The Queen Adelaide pub in Hastings Old Town had around catches being landed - not even Sussex Police were that brave.

Where did you get the specs for the La Rose des Vents from out of interest?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
remember that next time complaining about large US corp tax avoidance and high energy bills, both directly result of EU law. its fine to be a supporter of remaining, let not pretend they never passed any law or directive thats an imposition somewhere, government always does.

I think you will find that the EU is very keen to extract more tax from Apple, Google et al, I'm not aware of the EU'S control of the global oil price though ?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
If I hear May say in the national interest once more then I will not be responsible for my actions

She should just be honest and say...." in the interest of the Establishment "....because thats who has been guiding and leading her to this point and who are her masters. She is just a pawn in a much larger picture. Her hands are tied. The power brokers have engineered us to this point, even though its a point of disunity. They didn't want a unified exit. They have rescued a potentially disastrous situation for themselves through a compromise and kept a foothold in the EU. It was always the plan after June 16. It never wavered. It just had to be kept under wraps for as long as possible.
There is no such thing as the national interest. Nothing is ever done in the national interest or the interest of the people. There is always an agenda and there is always someone controlling that agenda.
It has always been that way and always will be.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Sorry mate the situation is exactly the opposite, the referendum result is not legally binding, no one is ignoring it, and the EU would be glad of us staying, because it is damaging for them too.
At one time, there seemed to be no shortage of people saying that the EU would give us a great deal because they need us more than we need them, now it seems that has all turned into they will punish us for staying, they won't, they will be relieved and glad to have avoided the disruption.
If we leave and try to come back later, we still will not be punished, but we would be unlikely to get back all the little sweeteners that we have now.

Ok, my error, not legally binding!

Just a question, if the referendum result is overturned how many people will never vote again as they will feel betrayed. Or is it ok if they don’t vote as they were obviously stupid in the first place!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just a question, if the referendum result is overturned how many people will never vote again as they will feel betrayed. Or is it ok if they don’t vote as they were obviously stupid in the first place!
If we don't leave, and don't have another referendum, democracy will have failed. If we have another referendum, with the options A) Stay in B) Leave with a crap deal that no one wants, then again Leavers will understandably feel betrayed. If there is a better worded second referendum, and people vote to remain, then the Leavers might moan but I don't think they'll have been betrayed.

The whole thing is a obviously a mess, because we have mostly remain politicians trying to agree a Brexit that they've never wanted. The only way to really get a proper Brexit would have been to vote for UKIP, and most people didn't want that.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Ok, my error, not legally binding!

Sadly, I think the naivety shown probably means the latter would be better for mankind.

Same reason I didn't let my kids choose their menu's until they were older. Fun though choc ice and chips is for a night, I think all grown ups know where it would lead :shrug:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
1. free movement of capital and goods mean you have to allow any business from across EU, so an outside company can setup in the lowest tax domicile to channel their sales/revenue through. example Amazon used to sell everything out of Luxembourg for lower VAT; Apple, Facebook, Google book sales in Dublin to pay tax under their rules (where you dont pay tax on revenue outside IRE).
2. EU directives on carbon tax and later smart meter have increased our energy bills. of course we want lower pollution, doesn't mean the EU imposed rules havent led to those cost increases.

theses are consequences of some of the benefits of membership.

Thanks for replying. The EU have proposed Tax harmonisation rules to combat the issue of corporations avoiding tax in this manner, understandably there has been opposition to this from various countries, including the UK, but I believe something should be in place soon. This problem exists in the world also though, the reason companies register in tax havens, but with the EU there is greater chance of combatting it, if we leave it is quite likely we would be cutting corporation tax rates to attract companies to register here for tax, one of the meanings of "be more competitive".

Most of the industrialised world is using carbon tax to encourage reduction in emissions, I don't think we will see cheaper Gas bills with Brexit.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Firstly it seems daft that there was an agreement with no legal standing.

Is really that 'the British' as a whole broke the agreement, and that 'the British' aren't concerned with protecting stocks, or was it a small number of large boats that broke the agreement?

I believe it was a prohibition on the larger vessels issued by DEFRA in previous years that was not issued this year, not an instruction to go and clear out the French, but an invitation I suppose.

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
An intelligent (remainer) woman goes in to negotiations & comes back with the most appalling deal imaginable that neither side will stomach. Am I the only one that thinks this is suspicious? Like she wants us to remain so deliberately brought something back that is so bad parliament will reject it & we end up voting again?
Either way if we have a second referendum (maybe 3rd or 4th if we don't get the result right) its the end of democracy in this country. What next? Corbyn doesn't win the next election so we have to try again?
I give up. Won't bother voting again if we get told to vote again. Whats the point? We're becoming like Victorian times. Us serfs don't deserve a vote & the elite should simply decide whats best for us peasants.
Yes the campaign in 2016 wasn't great on either side but to suggest us serfs are too stupid to understand the debate is patronising in the extreme. But this post is pointless i guess my opinion & 17 million like it don't count it seems.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here