Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do YOU expect a player to feature more because he cost a lot?

Should players be more likely to start because they cost a lot?

• Yes they should

Votes: 38 39.6%
  • No, they shouldn't

Votes: 58 60.4%

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think you might be missing the point hwt. It isn't quite clear. Maybe I am missing a trick, I think bozza is messing

Looks clear enough to me. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] doesn't play tricks, and is a better poofreader than what I am. :thumbsup:

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Read the poll again. It is quite clear. Are you calling [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] a ****?View attachment 99554

Yes, obviously taking on Bozza :)

Can’t see the poll on Tapatalk so was going on the thread title vs the actual post.

But to be honest even the poll question is really unclear. Yes, players should be more likely to start if they’re expensive, because in general it should mean they are better players. Should they be more likely to start regardless of form? Of course not.

I would suggest it’s impossible to interpret the poll results because we can’t know what question people are actually answering.

I appreciate this is a needless interrogation of a harmless question, but I’m bored, so... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, obviously taking on Bozza :)

Can’t see the poll on Tapatalk so was going on the thread title vs the actual post.

But to be honest even the poll question is really unclear. Yes, players should be more likely to start if they’re expensive, because in general it should mean they are better players. Should they be more likely to start regardless of form? Of course not.

I would suggest it’s impossible to interpret the poll results because we can’t know what question people are actually answering.

I appreciate this is a needless interrogation of a harmless question, but I’m bored, so... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lolol::thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
If they don't get to play immediately then by the time they do we will have decided they are crap. It's also exciting and this is supposed to be about entertainment!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think CH is likely to run with the players who kept us up and gradually introduce the new boys when any of the current first choice underperform, I was disappointed not to see more of the new players against Nantes but Bernardo as a starter apart, when we did make the two late substitutions our game as a team deteriorated imo. Gentle bedding in is my guess and certainly not multiple changes unless forced on us by injuries.

Good man management not chucking the new boys in at the expense of those that kept us up though.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
It's a no from me. Primarily because the price we are paying for players now is largely dictated by being in the premierleague, rather than being a reflection on their ability.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
"Expect" is possibly the wrong word, but when a player I've never heard of is brought in for the kind of money Locadia was, I find myself disappointed he hasn't made an impact, and wonder why that amount of money was spent.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The club don't pay out record fees for a player to be on the bench (or worse) so there is an expectation that we will see these players more often than not. That doesn't mean though that we may well buy ourselves duds (Elvis, Kemy .... ) or that the player previously occupying the normal starting spot doesn't make a dramatic improvement to keep out the new signing (example??)

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
If that were the case, poor Pascal Groß would hardly get a game.

You've highlighted a good point. We got Gross cheap because of the release cause in his contract. Same probably applies to others as well. Then there's factors like the amount of time left on a player's contract and the relative circumstances of the selling club: i.e. Championship clubs think nothing of asking 15 mil plus for unproven players whereas foreign clubs often settle for much less. And the ones in poorer countries even less still.

So from our perspective we know that transfer fees are relative: bigger fee does not mean better player and we don't expect someone to play just because they cost a lot of money. The expensive players probably don't think that way though if they're not in the team: "Why did they pay a record fee for me if they aren't playing me?"

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
"When players are signed for club record fees, they are usually expected to appear more often than not in the starting XI, by fans and club owners alike." from Shop-smart Seagulls can avoid sophomore struggles

I saw a lot of comments last year along the lines of "Why did we pay so much money for Locadia if we're not even going to play him"?

Is that you? Do you think players have more of an entitlement to start because we shelled out a load of cash on them?

Yes

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
YES.... otherwise surely we`ve wasted our money.........If we`ve bought wisely our most expensive players will be the best and surely our best players will feature the most..

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here