Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We havent got a pot to piss in !!!!

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I think Hughes is a decent signing and as I said before get used to this type of signing and plenty more loans. Going forward we will be a team that is going to use the academy products complemented by loan players. I think the days of buying a top notch player will be few. As we look to unearth the gems from lower leagues and the academy , and in the meantime if we need a position filling it will be with a loan. hence not much transfer activity until those clubs that have sorted their squads are prepared to let players out on loan.

then we can expect to be in a relegation battle , we have lost all our best players Ulloa will be off ,. Where do you get the idea that our academy products are going to be up to standard , i think you get no where in the Championship without spending money .

D

Deleted member 22389

Actually quite simple, we are spending more than we are getting in. We are just the same as all the other clubs, expect our losses should be slightly better because of our crowds.
This is the reality of football in 2014, unless the players wages and transfer fees come down, nothing will change. Every single club is going to lose money.

We have more than enough quality players to challenge for promotion again. It's all about getting the best out of what we have, and let's be honest our last managers didn't utilise CMS like they should have done.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Some of you supporters need to wake up and face a reality check, you need to take off those rose tinted glasses !!!!

I know i may have rattled a few cages, and yes i agree with some of your feedback, but in some areas i have raised a valid point, the fact is some of you guys don't like being challenged with an opinion different to your own[/QUOTE

It's about supporting the club regardless of transfer budget whether they are in the premier league or the conference. The budget has no interest for me. How you have the nerve to say to bloom put ur money on the table beggars belief. Have ur eyes been open during the last 3 years. When you invest 150 million quid then you have the right to know the transfer budget. The cub are managing their finances as they see fit and have consistently produced competitive teams in and amazing setting in an unbelievably competitive league. Do you really want a club or board that sell the soul of the club? We have been there before and it wasn't very nice.

Not sure why that was directed at me, I couldn't agree more. :smile:

boik

I really don't understand all this "we pay our money, we should be told" business. I'm a fan - not an investor. I have not expectation of making any return on my "investment", I just want some fun days out with excitement and enjoyment and I want my club to be safe in the long term. I think Tony has got my best interests at heart. When I look back at our time in the old League Division One I can't say that I think we should risk the clubs future to get back there again at all costs. I want us to win every match, obviously, but I look longer term than that because I'm old and don't use expressions like pmsl and lol!

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I think its fair to say that Upson came with a far better pedigree. I would have to admit this is not a promising signing

Really? Why? He's played in the premier league more times than upson. He has 90 or so international caps. I think it's fair to say if he was English he'd have had a similar amount if not more caps that upson.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I think its fair to say that Upson came with a far better pedigree. I would have to admit this is not a promising signing

Perhaps. Upson came with a better history but he had barely played for two years. I think the view was that he was a busted flush at top level.

I actually think Hughes comes with more relevent recent experience and less question marks over fitness or current ability.

Come the end of the season we are going to be viewing this signing as a masterstroke. Speak to fans of Fulham or Newcastle and they'll tell you the same story - reliable, fit and committed at the top level. He should excel in the Championship and think of the experience that Dunk, Rea, Masimenko can get from him (and also the manager.) That's not to mention his flexibility.

We should be rejoicing, this means we now have more money to plough into the "glamour" positions.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Upson was considered a high profile signing as he was a member of the England squad for the 2010 World Cup and scored in the game against Germany. Had Hughes been English I think he'd have been around the England team too at times.

Comparing the teams they played a majority of their games for (Upson - Birmingham, West Ham, Stoke) (Hughes - Newcastle, Villa, Fulham) there isn't really much difference at all. Hughes has played in Champions League games and Uefa/Europa League matches far more time than Upson has.

On paper Upson looks like a higher profile signing as he was an England player but when you analyse their careers a little bit closer I'd say Hughes has a pedigree to at least match Upson.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Richie - since you've asked Tony Bloom for evidence of the size of the playing budget, perhaps you could help us here and oblige us of your considerations as to what you KNOW of the budget.

Bearing in mind you're not offering an opinion - you've stated as fact that 'we haven't got a pot to piss in...' - can you offer us unambiguous facts, using first-hand evidence, financial experience and material statements where your chosen position on this matter originates, and without resorting to posing rhetorical questions by way of a defence of your stance?

Thanks.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
At least we are not offering a trial to Nile Ranger, like Leeds are currently being reported as doing.

We are not that desperate and probably have a lot of avenues we are exploring.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here