Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Looking forward to seeing over 1,000 fans at Bournemouth in the Carabao Cup!

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
As annoying as it is, I actually don't blame the fans who bought the tickets for the points.

It's the club and their ill thought out loyalty system that should be answering questions here.

Not sure I understand. If the club only awarded points for actually attending games there would be no issue.

The club don't award points for actually turning up, that is the point he is making. The club has created this. :shrug:

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
As annoying as it is, I actually don't blame the fans who bought the tickets for the points.

It's the club and their ill thought out loyalty system that should be answering questions here.

The club don't award points for actually turning up, that is the point he is making. The club has created this. :shrug:

Sure, it would be very easy to make this tweak though. All tickets are scanned by barcode so there is a list of those scanned and those not scanned. Once this is done the loyalty points system would work fine.

Exactly, problem solved. :shrug:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sure, it would be very easy to make this tweak though. All tickets are scanned by barcode so there is a list of those scanned and those not scanned. Once this is done the loyalty points system would work fine.

That's not just a "tweak" though is it, although it may seem such to you.

It would involve every away club we visit having the capability and the resources to produce a file of all tickets scanned (I absolutely agree this should be relatively simple, technically). There is no indication that this has ever happened before for one club, let alone EVERY club. Even if every club could do this, the Albion then need to be able to resource the process of updating points based on the files received. Can our ticketing system facilitate this easily.

Finally if, as has been suggested, the club allocated points for the home Cup game against Barnet then that suggests there is little appetite to police this as home game attendance should be considerably easier to manage than an away game.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Anyway, just to confirm, it was an allocation of 1,325:

"Tickets for Brighton & Hove Albion’s Carabao Cup third round tie against AFC Bournemouth at the Vitality Stadium go on sale this Thursday.

The match takes place on Tuesday 19th September, kick-off 7.45pm, and Albion have received a full allocation of 1,325 tickets."

Source >>> https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...uth-vs-brighton-and-hove-albion-on-19-sep-17/

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My mate was at Leicester and there was two empty seats next to him. Could have been that whoever bought them, they couldn't go...but I overheard a conversation at the Amex at the West Brom game between a few people saying they were buying tickets for the smaller games ( and not going) so they could get ones for the high profile ones.

Sounds like these people are not true fans, just glory hunters? Who would have thought it...

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013

It would involve every away club we visit having the capability and the resources to produce a file of all tickets scanned (I absolutely agree this should be relatively simple, technically). There is no indication that this has ever happened before for one club, let alone EVERY club. Even if every club could do this, the Albion then need to be able to resource the process of updating points based on the files received. Can our ticketing system facilitate this easily.

Finally if, as has been suggested, the club allocated points for the home Cup game against Barnet then that suggests there is little appetite to police this as home game attendance should be considerably easier to manage than an away game.

I think Manchester United operate this system on home games; to the point if you fail to turn up to a set number of games you can have your season ticket rescinded. But you're right, it would be incredibly hard to enforce this at away grounds where you're reliant on the away club providing data.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Shame we've never had this problem last few years at away games,only people that are losing out are the jcls that haven't got the points

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Yup, I'm not an expert. It would be interesting to know if such a project is as insurmountable as you say though. It seems to me that in my workplace much bigger IT challenges are addressed fairly routinely.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
My mate was at Leicester and there was two empty seats next to him. Could have been that whoever bought them, they couldn't go...but I overheard a conversation at the Amex at the West Brom game between a few people saying they were buying tickets for the smaller games ( and not going) so they could get ones for the high profile ones.

Sounds like these people are not true fans, just glory hunters? Who would have thought it...

Empty seats next to me at Leicester too. :shrug:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Shame we've never had this problem last few years at away games,only people that are losing out are the jcls that haven't got the points

I have been a fan for 45 years..seen hundreds of away games in that time, couldn't get to away games the last few years, I haven't the points , only STH ones. I hardly call myself a JCL

el punal

Fine. So what would be your proposal to improve matters?

The club have introduced a system where if you buy tickets for cup or away League games you get loyalty points. The more games you get tickets for the more loyalty points you rack up. Seems fair to me. How, therefore, can you criticise the club if fans who have purchased tickets don't turn up?

I had enough points accrued for the league game at Bournemouth on Friday, so I had a ticket and went. Good fan me. If you're going to blame anyone then have a go at those "fans" who had tickets but didn't attend, or worse still, those that then sell on their tickets for a fat profit.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yup, I'm not an expert. It would be interesting to know if such a project is as insurmountable as you say though. It seems to me that in my workplace much bigger IT challenges are addressed fairly routinely.

Agree completely.

There's another little nuance: your ticket doesn't scan for a variety of reasons. Stewards check it and you're let in 'manually'. You shouldn't be disadvantaged in terms of receiving loyalty points, but how does the club allow for this.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Personally I think the only 'fault' is with those buying with no intent to attend.

I went to the League game but couldn't make last night and bought no ticket. My attendance record means that I am lucky enough to have sufficient points for any game, and I feel those having wasted £1 per point and denied other fans has been a fruitless exercise really.

All remaining games will have a decent enough allocation to ensure a decent points tally will get a ticket. No real need to ridiculously boost by a meager 10 with no intention of going. Waste of money.

As regards to scrapping LPs.....I don't think that is a viable proposition at all really. Nor fair.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I've been saying it for ages, the current loyalty scheme is an absolute crock of shit. Glad something like this has happened. Might make people realise how bad it is.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
I have been a fan for 45 years..seen hundreds of away games in that time, couldn't get to away games the last few years, I haven't the points , only STH ones. I hardly call myself a JCL

That's a shame,and it wasn't aimed at that sort of fan, clearly,!!!!!that saying I have seen enough floating around on Facebook, Twitter etc over last few days,so anyone that really wanted to go,could of

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here