Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team vs Barnsley

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
hmmmm watching that I'm wondering what the NSC reaction would be if that montage was was being played regarding a potential new signing.

I can't help thinking it wouldn't be all that favourable, even before we moved onto the defending.

It's no wonder he skewed that seasons tally with a bazillion against Wycombe (and no other goals for x months).

What am I missing ? I loved the montage.
What a second half that was at Wycombe btw. Forgot the freezing weather when Glenn started knocking them in.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
To keep repeating the same mistake of pairing Hemed and Baldock will be Hughtons downfall, everyone knows they don't score goals so why keep putting them in the team ?
For a laugh?

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
To keep repeating the same mistake of pairing Hemed and Baldock will be Hughtons downfall, everyone knows they don't score goals so why keep putting them in the team ?

Explain last season then? How did we score so many?

Also, would you rather:

Murray scores 15, Baldock 1, midfield 2.

Or

Hemed 10, Baldock 3, Midfield 7.

Not suggesting that is how it would work obviously, but just because one player scores more than another doesn't mean that's best for the rest of the team.

Last year we scored lots of goals, this was with Hemed and Baldock up front neither of which scored a huge amount of goals themselves. Thought we'd all appreciated that this came down to their hardwork for the team and each other creating goals throughout the team. The likes of Knockaert, Murphy, March, Stephens and Kayal scored a few as a result. Now, Knockaert appears to be are only threat, probably because he's the only one with enough individual brilliance now we've stopped playing as a team.

After this success last year not entirely sure why we haven't gone with this partnership again.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What am I missing ? I loved the montage.
What a second half that was at Wycombe btw. Forgot the freezing weather when Glenn started knocking them in.
Oh it's a great montage, with a few fabulous goals.
But with an awful lot of tackle shy defenders on their arses, free headers, and a smattering of comedy defending.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't having a dig at GM and his first spell, although his 'pace' has long since left the building.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Stockdale
Bruno Goldson Dunk Pocognoli
Skalak Stephens Kayal Murphy
Knockaert
Murray​

Subs
Maenpaa; Hunt, Hünemeier; Norwood, Sidwell; Manu, Hemed

I suspect Bong will be retained ahead of Pocognoli on fitness grounds, but other than that I think this team has balance and strength with a bit to come off the bench as required.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stockdale
Knockaert
Murray​

Subs

I suspect Bong will be retained ahead of Pocognoli on fitness grounds, but other than that I think this team has balance and strength with a bit to come off the bench as required.

I hope that you are wrong with your team Pocognoli is not an improvement on Bong and Knockaert is wasted in the No 10 role. So AK out wide and either Skalak or Murphy taking the other wide role.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I hope that you are wrong with your team Pocognoli is not an improvement on Bong and Knockaert is wasted in the No 10 role. So AK out wide and either Skalak or Murphy taking the other wide role.

A Belgian International is not an improvement on Bong? Bong has been overtaken by the quality added to our team in the last year, I think that Pocognoli is a step up in pedigree but he needs to show us something. I wasn't there last night for his debut, but I hope to see him on saturday. I have nothing against Bong, I just think that he has been overtaken by the quality around him and isn't up to the current standard of the team.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know I'm asking a lot, well too much, in fact, but I'd like to see Knockaert, Skalak and Murphy being heavily rotated across the final third of the pitch.

None of them can play the #10 role for 90 minutes.
They all seem to get disillusioned very quickly and end up hiding from the game.

Therefore I'd give all 3 of them responsibility for their 3 positions and pray (and that'll be a lot of praying) they don't all end up looking at each other on the right wing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A Belgian International is not an improvement on Bong? Bong has been overtaken by the quality added to our team in the last year, I think that Pocognoli is a step up in pedigree but he needs to show us something. I wasn't there last night for his debut, but I hope to see him on saturday. I have nothing against Bong, I just think that he has been overtaken by the quality around him and isn't up to the current standard of the team.

On last nights showing, granted his first game for us, he was most certainly not an improvement on Bong as I
have said a number of times and must have gone down hill fast from when he played for Belgium. That would be the only fast thing about him.
People have defended his contribution by saying he took a knock for the red card but Meridian have just shown it wasnt him but Norwood who got crunched for the reds card I think that you are wrongly judging him by his reputation and not ability shown. With games he may prove to be better but not at the moment..

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Heading - I would say equal heading ability - though Murray physically is better in the air than Hemed, and wins more headers as a result.

Finishing - disagree, I would say Hemed's finishing is better

Positional sense - Wouldn't like to say either way, think they are both good at this. Exampled in last nights goal.

Passing - Hemed, comfortably IMO - much better with his feet.

Movement - again disagree, Murray is slower than Hemed, over a distance and with his feet.

Link play - In the air - Murray, on the floor, comfortably Hemed

Defensive help at set pieces - Agree Murray better.

I think they are both good players. Murray superior in the air, Hemed on the floor. If we were to play hoof ball I'd rather have Murray, for floor based quick tempo attacking football - i'd rather have Hemed. Depends on the situation.

Both good players to have. It's just a shame they can't play well together like Zamora and Hemed did last year. Then we'd really be a threat.

Good summary.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Very different how? Hemed fancies himself a target man, whilst not being strong or good enough in the air to achieve it. I know I come across a Murray fanboy but I genuinely cannot think of a single attribute where Tomer beats Glenn.

Heading
Finishing
Positional sense
Passing
Movement
Link play
Defensive help at set pieces

Murray is comfortably better at all of them. Pace wise they're about even.

In my opinion he's the best striker at the club so we should be setting up the side to get the most out of him. Hemed and Murray together will not. I think Murray and Manu just might. We know Baldock and Hemed probably isn't quite good enough.

Stats show it is even for both players this season except for excessive fouling by Glenn Murray. Sums up my observations except that Murray covers more ground and gets into wide positions occasionally whereas Hemed goes not ever go wide. Hemed shoots and misses when he shouldn't and as they all miss it means wasted balls at about one a game. .

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/211

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
To put another slant on it. I think Murray will do much better from quality crosses into the box. For everything else I would prefer Hemed. Further I believe Hemed to be a much better team player. Surely though we knew of Murray's limitations in that regard many moons ago.

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
What I want to happen:

Stock

Bruno
Duffy
Dunk
Pog

Knockaert
Kayal
Stephens
Skalak

Murray
Manu

In terms of attributes I think Murray and Manu is the most logical pairing we have. Murray is a better version of Hemed, and Manu looks more of a goal threat than Baldock, whilst retaining a lot of pace.

What I think will happen:

Stock

Bruno
Duffy
Dunk
Bong

Knockaert
Kayal
Stephens
Skalak

Baldock
Hemed
Do you really want pog to start after last night's display - think again!

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
If you saw him last night you would realise he is a little off at present. Keep bong.
IMHO Murray is far superior at heading .

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I've no doubt Pocognoli will be our first choice LB in a couple of weeks however he's probably not ready atm.

With that said

Stockdale

Bruno
Dunk
Duffy
Bong

Knockaert
Stephens
Kayal
Skalak

Manu
Hemed

To my way of thinking Murray is without doubt better than Hemed, however Hemed is better stamina wise and tires out defenders. Then bring the quality of Muzza off the bench after 60/65 mins.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Stockdale
Knockaert
Murray​

Subs

think that will be starting 11 but with Hemed for Murray.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here