Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Corbyn' s at it again !

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
The people who lived in that tower block must be rehoused locally. I totally agree with that. What I don't agree with is Corbyn trying to stir up dislike among the so called working class and people that through hard work or luck etc own several properties. If they paid the market price for it and bought it legitimately then surely it's their choice what they do with it. How about the people that buy flash cars yet rarely if ever drive them. Again their choice.

We need to concentrate on how to help these people and make sure nothing like this happens again not look to divert the underlying anger towards wealthy people, they were not responsible for maintaining the building or causing the fire.

Maybe initially I didn't word my post very well, for that I apologise.

I'm certainly not wealthy by any standards but I believe you treat all people equally regardless of wealth.

For what's it's worth I donated £50 yesterday to do my bit

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
The people who lived in that tower block must be rehoused locally. I totally agree with that. What I don't agree with is Corbyn trying to stir up dislike among the so called working class and people that through hard work or luck etc own several properties. If they paid the market price for it and bought it legitimately then surely it's their choice what they do with it. How about the people that buy flash cars yet rarely if ever drive them. Again their choice.

We need to concentrate on how to help these people and make sure nothing like this happens again not look to divert the underlying anger towards wealthy people, they were not responsible for maintaining the building or causing the fire.

I'm certainly not wealthy by any standards but I believe you treat all people equally regardless of wealth.

Well said.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Still wrong as he didn't say what you said he did

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
He is an undisputed Marxist and although it may be unpleasant for those who voted for him to hear, that is a fact.

Depends what you mean by Marxist. If you mean someone who's read some Marx (and Engels and others) and agrees with a fair amount of it (albeit accepting that some of it, having been written in the mid-19th century, needs to be adjusted for modern times), then I, for one, plead guilty to being a "Marxist", and wouldn't take it as an insult at all. It's certainly not unpleasant for me to hear that Corbyn might also be that way inclined.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My sister called me a Marxist the other day during a political argument and she has never even seen my avatar on here.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
This dreadful tragedy has exposed what a divided section of the community NSC represents.
Valid points made by both sides, but an awful lot of finger pointing bile has also emerged that is unnecessarily nasty.
I cannot help but feel that Corbyn is guilty of political opportunism and there is a dangerous hint of mob rule lurking in the air.
Not saying this is all down to Corbyn, but I hope cool heads and common sense prevail.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
This dreadful tragedy has exposed what a divided section of the community NSC represents.
Valid points made by both sides, but an awful lot of finger pointing bile has also emerged that is unnecessarily nasty.
I cannot help but feel that Corbyn is guilty of political opportunism and there is a dangerous hint of mob rule lurking in the air.
Not saying this is all down to Corbyn, but I hope cool heads and common sense prevail.

McDonnell calling for millions to get out on the streets and sending his Momentum attack dogs and Corbynista Ultras to rile up the crowds isn't exactly going to help, is it?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I think you need to be careful of what you read about him - cos he didn't say anything like that.

I fundamentally disagree with you on the subject of housing. This is London we are talking about homes - there are in desperate short supply and these people have had their homes blown up.

You can't leave a house in such circumstances empty for years, it is NOTHING like cars. Law needs to change and change fast. Live in it, rent it out or invest your money something else.

We wouldn't apply the same argument to water supplies - but it's effectively the same.

I've just matched your donation. :thumbsup:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
McDonnell calling for millions to get out on the streets and sending his Momentum attack dogs and Corbynista Ultras to rile up the crowds isn't exactly going to help, is it?

Nope its not..I don't want police resources tied up marshalling that lot...and i just don't trust them...they are politicians after all and tend to have there own agendas

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Depends what you mean by Marxist. If you mean someone who's read some Marx (and Engels and others) and agrees with a fair amount of it (albeit accepting that some of it, having been written in the mid-19th century, needs to be adjusted for modern times), then I, for one, plead guilty to being a "Marxist", and wouldn't take it as an insult at all. It's certainly not unpleasant for me to hear that Corbyn might also be that way inclined.

I've had a go at Das kapital when studying history in that period. Out dated of course and difficult for a 19 year old, i'm not a Marxist either, even though I have read some of this book. Corbyns whole political back story tells us of his beliefs, convictions and thoughts, so for him to undergo such a sea change in synchroisity with the general election is beyond belief. I consider him a very dangerous man, irresponsible in his spending aspirations, indulgent in his desires for state intervention and not honest or believable on his estimates for expenditure. Speaking with the IRA involving himself in the peace process, really, only speaking to one side is not helping, talking to Hamas and being anti semetic towards UK citizens who have a jewish faith and openly talking about negotiating with ISIS, he has no foreign policy what so ever.
The younger in society have no concept of him and his true CV other than he has offered free tuition fees which of course will have to be paid by the UK tax payer, of whom these jubilant students will be when the leave univesity.
No doubt he is a Marxist and no doubt he is a wolf in sheeps clothing.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sussex Nomad, give it up, time's are a changing.

Majority of Brits (59%) support Corbyn's calls to requisition empty properties for homeless Grenfell Tower residents

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/surveys/re...f7a01240-527a-11e7-bfce-be36d6dc7ab1/toplines

so is there a power they can use to do this? not as far as i know. so what are we going to give up, the rule of law?

thats really what this is about, Corbyn furthering a political cause that currently not lawful. why is it luxury homes, normal empty homes, or simply calling on the council to rehouse them as soon as possible. because that wouldnt suit the political cause would it, that would be the same as any other normal politican might ask for. Corbyn has to go further, because hes still radical, forgetting this is real now.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Morally I agree with you but as it stands there are no laws in place to prevent people buying property and leaving it empty so whether you think it is right or not ( I agree morally it isn't right ) the people that own such property can do whatever they decide not what u or I would prefer they do. It's called living in a free capitalist country

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Unfortunatly a large proportion of the rich are there, at least partly, due to being born into the right demographic or at the right time. If you are outside that you can work just as hard or harder and never get anywhere. That is why there is anger and things need to change.

I wouldn't agree with that. Just because some people are born poor does not mean they will always be poor. There is a large amount of wage mobility in the UK. My father is a blue collar working class man and has never been rich but he is still more wealthy than his parents ever were. I earn considerably more than my father ever did. In a very short space of time families can go from being poor to wealthy.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I've had a go at Das kapital when studying history in that period. Out dated of course and difficult for a 19 year old, i'm not a Marxist either, even though I have read some of this book. Corbyns whole political back story tells us of his beliefs, convictions and thoughts, so for him to undergo such a sea change in synchroisity with the general election is beyond belief. I consider him a very dangerous man, irresponsible in his spending aspirations, indulgent in his desires for state intervention and not honest or believable on his estimates for expenditure. Speaking with the IRA involving himself in the peace process, really, only speaking to one side is not helping, talking to Hamas and being anti semetic towards UK citizens who have a jewish faith and openly talking about negotiating with ISIS, he has no foreign policy what so ever.
The younger in society have no concept of him and his true CV other than he has offered free tuition fees which of course will have to be paid by the UK tax payer, of whom these jubilant students will be when the leave univesity.

Completely agree with you.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex

Agreed.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I wouldn't agree with that. Just because some people are born poor does not mean they will always be poor. There is a large amount of wage mobility in the UK. My father is a blue collar working class man and has never been rich but he is still more wealthy than his parents ever were. I earn considerably more than my father ever did. In a very short space of time families can go from being poor to wealthy.

Not at the moment. We are going through the biggest wage recession since the napoleonic wars.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
If anyone is interested in some practicalities and legality or illegality surrounding Corbyns idea housing should be requisitioned The BBC has done one of their reality checks.

Reality Check: Can the government requisition homes?

The claim: Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn says the government should requisition housing if necessary for those made homeless by the Grenfell Tower fire.

Reality Check verdict: Doing so would not be allowed under current rules, and legislation to allow property to be seized in peacetime would be controversial.

Full analysis here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40303142

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Regardless of one's political leanings, the extent of foreign ownership of property in the UK, especially London (and within that Kensington being particularly attractive) is scary.

Many of these properties are vacant, simply because the owners, who are frequently nameplate companies registered in tax havens, use them as a store of wealth, rather than as a dwelling.

Take a look at the Private Eye map of foreign ownership, note the prices of the properties, and ask yourself how did we let this happen?

https://suemarcar.carto.com/viz/9fc804fa-4b6b-11e5-a73d-0e0c41326911/embed_map

Thank you for sharing this. Homes should be for living in not as investments and especially not for overseas investors and especially not left empty. I believe other countries have more restrictions than the UK in this area. Tricky to legislate but we should start to change the law to prioritise homes for residents over investment property.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Titanic, no it certainly doesn't.
I do not trust Corbyn and McDonnell and their La-La Land giveaways. I haven't heard about McDonnell's call for millions on the street etc., but if ithat is correct, I dislike the rhetoric even more than the fairy tale economics.
I do hope that we don't have a hot summer of riots, but I can't help thinking that is precisely what Corbyn and McDonnell would like to see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here