Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Tomorrow the front pages are outing Tory rebels. Sourbry already complaining about 'bullying'. Others say it is fair they are outted. I think they are in the firing line of debate for sure.

Looks like an own goal for those on a little tax haven in the English Channel

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Tomorrow the front pages are outing Tory rebels. Sourbry already complaining about 'bullying'. Others say it is fair they are outted. I think they are in the firing line of debate for sure.

Maybe if each MP was actually open about how they plan to vote ( and I include all parties in that ) then it wouldn't be necessary to 'out' MPs planning of derailing Brexit. As for Soubry, if she can't stand the heat then she knows what she can do - remember she voted against any investigation into the Iraq War - she's not into open and honest politics.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Unemployment falls by 59000 to 1.42 million despite BrExit.

I've studiously avoided this thread for a good while, because it's full of dreadful bores. You're not one of them, and tend to be interested in 'facts', but you seem to be suggesting that Brexit has already occurred. I was under the impression that it hadn't.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I've studiously avoided this thread for a good while, because it's full of dreadful bores. You're not one of them, and tend to be interested in 'facts', but you seem to be suggesting that Brexit has already occurred. I was under the impression that it hadn't.

No, but the scare stories from the Remainers during the campaign were suggesting the impact would be catastrophic and immediate. That has clearly not been the case. We do, however, obviously still have a long way to go.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No, but the scare stories from the Remainers during the campaign were suggesting the impact would be catastrophic and immediate. That has clearly not been the case. We do, however, obviously still have a long way to go.

I can't disagree with any of this. Most Remainers thought that the economic impact would be swift and negative (I won't go as far as catastrophic), that hasn't materialised, although the UK continues to bump along with historically very low growth rates, and they appear to be lower than those on the continent at present -- whether that persists might give us a better clue about the impact of Brexit.
And I'll try a prediction for you (feel free to bounce if/when I'm proved wrong): the disastrous way your lot are handling Brexit will result in an economic downturn when it eventually happens; and here's another: when the details become clear, the Tory Party won't be the prettiest place to be.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I can't disagree with any of this. Most Remainers thought that the economic impact would be swift and negative (I won't go as far as catastrophic), that hasn't materialised, although the UK continues to bump along with historically very low growth rates, and they appear to be lower than those on the continent at present -- whether that persists might give us a better clue about the impact of Brexit.
And I'll try a prediction for you (feel free to bounce if/when I'm proved wrong): the disastrous way your lot are handling Brexit will result in an economic downturn when it eventually happens; and here's another: when the details become clear, the Tory Party won't be the prettiest place to be.

Aren't we due an economic downturn anyway some time soon?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Aren't we due an economic downturn anyway some time soon?

We had one of the longest and deepest in Britain's history which started just under a decade ago. We haven't really come out of it yet. You seem to be getting less optimistic about the economy in the space of a few posts, although I'll give you that I'm surprised at the unemployment rate during the last seven years.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
One of the main 'scare' stories was the loss of sovereignty, that was never lost in the first place.

The irony of it all, is if the Tories and their mates in the press had their way parliament would no longer be sovereign

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Unemployment is down which is obviously good. I don't think it has been as widely reported that employment is also down. If this becomes a trend then that is potentially worrying because unless fewer people are doing the same work then eventually GDP will fall and that means recession. One quarter could be a blip, two would be a worry and three is starting to look like a trend. Let's see what June 18 shows because by then we will have a better idea whether firms like Honda etc are exploring relocating for fear of no deal as reported yesterday.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Today's headline in the Telegraph today is very Daily Mail and up there with Enemies of the People. If they were hoping that bullying tactics would work, they will be bitterly disappointed

Capture.JPG

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
One of the main 'scare' stories was the loss of sovereignty, that was never lost in the first place.

Indeed. There is a child-like simplicity to some people's concept of sovereignty. No country can be entirely sovereign in this interconnected world - pace the US's suggestion this month that we will need to accept (poor) American animal welfare standards - but the sovereignty pooled among EU members still allows our parliament to determine everything from the minimum wage, education, taxes, social welfare, infrastructure, health, regional development and plenty more besides. We have our own armed forces and, should we wish, the freedom to declare war on our enemies. These are not the signs of a subservient and non-sovereign state.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... but the sovereignty pooled among EU members still allows our parliament to determine everything from the minimum wage, education, taxes, social welfare, infrastructure, health, regional development and plenty more besides.

until powers are granted to EU under the next treaty. VAT regulations for example is already dictated by Brussels, only established exceptional rates are grandfathered. EU Army and fiscal policy is on the agenda for the next round of treaties. the EU does not stay still, it creeps forward with further integration.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
until powers are granted to EU under the next treaty. VAT regulations for example is already dictated by Brussels, only established exceptional rates are grandfathered. EU Army and fiscal policy is on the agenda for the next round of treaties. the EU does not stay still, it creeps forward with further integration.

You really did fall for the propaganda didn't you. Ha.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

As Dave ensured an exemption from ever closer union between the EU and the UK, any EU Army and revised fiscal policy wouldn't necessarily have affected us, regardless of any new treaty.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I see one of the 'dreadful bores' is on about the 14,000 fall in employment.This appears to be exclusively 18-24 year-olds,the why should I get out of bed for less than £50k brigade,having left education.Guess which part of the country they come from?:lolol:Getting up to vote for Jezza must have been too much for the little flakes.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I see one of the 'dreadful bores' is on about the 14,000 fall in employment.This appears to be exclusively 18-24 year-olds,the why should I get out of bed for less than £50k brigade,having left education.Guess which part of the country they come from?:lolol:Getting up to vote for Jezza must have been too much for the little flakes.

Where is this mentioned?
I read the biggest fall was between these age groups, ie people giving up looking for work, and staying in education. Where did you read, that it was exclusively?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here