Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Morocco go to World Cup with 1 Moroccan-born player in the starting XI

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Now I see this two ways. As someone who has changed countries, obviously I recognise that immigrants who meet the qualifications should be treated like a locally-born player.

BUT, what does it say to the locally-born players when 10 of the Morocco starting XI were born elsewhere? Or is it just tough?

Is it time to impose some kind of minimum number of native-born players for international tournaments? I'm thinking Qatar are probably already buying a team for 2022.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I'm thinking Qatar are probably already buying a team for 2022.

TBF Qatar have been doing exactly that for a long time. Top Goalscorer and most capped player Sebastián Soria is a naturalised citizen and so are a good percentage of their current team.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think the Dutch will certainly have a view on this given a few of the Morocco team hold dual nationality with Holland who may well have qualified if they had persuaded the players to play for Holland rather than Morocco.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Nationalising citizens as in Qatar is different to parentage as in Chris Hughton.

Morocco are justifying their nickname 'The Lions of the Atlas'. :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's about time we did away with all international boarders, and lived in peace and harmony as human beings on planet earth.

[tweet]929511061954297857[/tweet]

I guess that's a 'no' then.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
TBF Qatar have been doing exactly that for a long time. Top Goalscorer and most capped player Sebastián Soria is a naturalised citizen and so are a good percentage of their current team.

Qatar’s population is 2.6 million and 2.3 million are immigrants, so it’s not surprising that their football team is similarly composed.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Qatar’s population is 2.6 million and 2.3 million are immigrants, so it’s not surprising that their football team is similarly composed.

Qatar's total population is 2.6 million: 313,000 Qatari citizens and 2.3 million expatriates. These expats can be divided into those with limited rights (Europe and USA) and those with no rights (India and Nepal).

Using migrants rather selfishly to say the least.

Yoda

English & European

Yep, take Athletics & the most recent Olympics. 23 out of their 39 Olympic squad were born outside Qatar. They've been "buying" athletes for years.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is it time to impose some kind of minimum number of native-born players for international tournaments?
Something should be done, it's a complete farce (not just football, all sport). I don't think it matters if they're not born in the country if they've moved their as a child (and stayed), or if their grandparents are from there for example. The current system is a joke though.

Yoda

English & European
Something should be done, it's a complete farce (not just football, all sport). I don't think it matters if they're not born in the country if they've moved their as a child (and stayed), or if their grandparents are from there for example. The current system is a joke though.

How about those that take on another Country's citizenship via marriage? eg: Fiona May, Competed for GB early in her career but changed to Italian after she got married?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Also several of the England cricket team, and most of the RoI under Jack Charlton.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think the Dutch will certainly have a view on this given a few of the Morocco team hold dual nationality with Holland who may well have qualified if they had persuaded the players to play for Holland rather than Morocco.

Moaning about this would make the Dutch massive hypocrites. They've stuffed their side with players from Surinam, etc for decades.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I realise my view on this is more than a little predictable, but not sure I can see the issue. Without going through their individual bios, it's quite clear that they are of Moroccan origin. Whilst obviously the rules are pushed and bent over the years, there are people all around the world who feel a very strong attachment to a nationality that may not be the place of their birth, or even where they have lived.

I think it'd be incredibly detrimental to any country where emigration has been a big thing (so pretty much everywhere apart from USA, Northern Europe, Canada & Australia), and massively weaken international football as a broad competitive environment, if it was to be reined-in.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
All that really matters is that Morocco got to the World Cup at the expense of Ivory Coast so we'll be spared the sight of Filthy Haha next summer

Thecoffeecake

Oct 10, 2017
Philadelphia
Qatar's total population is 2.6 million: 313,000 Qatari citizens and 2.3 million expatriates. These expats can be divided into those with limited rights (Europe and USA) and those with no rights (India and Nepal).

Using migrants rather selfishly to say the least.

This happens everywhere, though.

I remember when Giannis Antetokounmpo, the Nigerian-Greek basketball player, was first drafted to the NBA, a Milwaukee based blogger totally took his situation in Greece out of context and slammed Greece and its government for its immigration policies, and how they pushed his family's citizenship through when he became a basketball prodigy. The blogger said things like "it's too bad the situation his family faced in Greece, they finally have a place they're welcomed in", which was ridiculous, because he was only let into the States at all because of his athletic talent (and also because he and his family are proud Greeks; they waved flags at his draft and he meets with Greek-American groups in every city he goes to. The issue he had there was, like in many countries, you're not granted citizenship by being born on the soil).

Every country admits athletes they would've let drown in the Mediterranean if their talent was carpentry instead.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How about those that take on another Country's citizenship via marriage? eg: Fiona May, Competed for GB early in her career but changed to Italian after she got married?
I haven't spent any time considering what would be the best solution, which I imagine would be imperfect and a compromise, but I think most of us know the current system is wrong.

What we'd like is for people to represent their country, not for wealthy countries just to buy in the best team. Off the top of my head, I'd say link by marriage isn't acceptable.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Every country admits athletes they would've let drown in the Mediterranean if their talent was carpentry instead.
Not sure their talent in carpentry is all that if they can't build a seaworthy boat.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I am curious to know why Moroccans celebrated their national team’s success peacefully and joyfully in Casablanca and Marakesh, but with riots and vandalism in Brussels and Amsterdam.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here